In the wake of Nokia phones no longer being on Verizon's Site, I decided to try to talk with someone from the Carrier about the issue of such bad support.

It was like pulling teeth to get to someone, and when I finally did, all they could say is they didn't know why I was having problems and were sorry for the inconvenience. Their response didn't match what I was saying, I was asking why the phones (not even old models) were being pulled, and why when I went to the store no one knew anything about WP, and couldn't even help me.

Carriers dont care about WP, and I feel its impossible for us who do like the OS to draw their attention. There is nothing I can do that makes me feel like as a customer have communicated my needs and interests with the business I am purchasing. I realize we are a small part of their Clientele, but....as a business owner I don't shortchange my small clients ever, but they get the same care as the big ones.

Does anyone know what we can do aside from sit silenced as the OS completely vanishes???
    badcat likes this.
    01-09-2015 10:54 AM
    In the USA it is getting tougher and tougher to be a WP user. OUS seems to be a bit better. Perhaps because carriers have such a hold on devices here that it is not funny. Between the exclusives on ATT and VZW we get crumbs on TMO and MVNOs. Sprint is totally out of the picture at least for a few more weeks. Sad state of affairs indeed.
    badcat and Laura Knotek like this.
    01-09-2015 11:48 AM
    I used to live abroad, and took my old wp all over the place, dont know my Verizon m8 would have the same liberty. Was so frustrated to come back and deal with USA carriers. Their business model and use of exclusives truly ignores the idea that customers are "always right," its so sad nothing can be done to combat their oligopoly.
    01-09-2015 12:00 PM
    I agree completely that the carriers (Verizon in particular) don't care about us at all. This is why I may be leaving Verizon when my contract is up. I'm sick of this. I'm not a huge fan of AT&T, but at least they have a couple of Windows Phones. I need to see how AT&T's coverage is around here but I'm hoping I can dump Verizon. Sprint and T-Mo aren't a good option around here.
    Last edited by badcat; 01-10-2015 at 06:13 AM.
    Silent Fox and Laura Knotek like this.
    01-09-2015 05:44 PM
    I'm also angry that I haven't figured out how remove Verizon from my wallet
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    01-09-2015 08:31 PM
    For better or for worse, changing carriers is our only option. I'm pretty sure ******** to Verizon isn't going to help. I don't really have any beef with Android as I have used a few Android phones in the past but I am sick of having iPhones shoved down my throat at every carriers web site. For me AT&T is the only viable alternative, with the caveat being I need to verify their coverage. Even they don't have much of a selection of WPs but they do have the 830 which is what I'd be looking for anyway. I like WP and my preference is to stay with it if at all possible. Verizon clearly doesn't seem to want our business so voting with our wallets is the only real recourse I see us having.
    a5cent and Laura Knotek like this.
    01-10-2015 06:12 AM
    WP will never get USA carriers focus until MS comes up with a "must have" app or series of apps not currently offered on IOS or Android. Cortana is not enough.
    01-10-2015 06:53 AM
    WP will never get USA carriers focus until MS comes up with a "must have" app or series of apps not currently offered on IOS or Android. Cortana is not enough.

You're right. She is not enough and then we hear rumors that they plan to release Cortana on other platforms too.
    01-10-2015 08:45 AM
    Factory Unlocked.

There are a bunch of Windows Phones BNIB or Gently Used that will work well on North American Towers.

mvno.

Pay less on service. ANY carrier (except the new T-Mo) is charging you for a phone whether you get one from them or not.

It is called voting with your dollars, people. The mvnos now cover every network (Yes, even Vzw and Sprint) and many accept BYOD (bring your own device).

Get OFF the program.

List of United States mobile virtual network operators - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    01-10-2015 10:17 AM
    Sign up on an AT&T backed mvno and you don't have to compromise on coverage. Then buy your phones unlocked from Expansys and other vendors, and life is better.

Avoid the Sprint ones. Bad coverage.

Verizon mvno is good if you never travel internationally or shop carefully but phones are limited due to CDMA voice network.
    01-10-2015 10:28 AM
    I'm on TMO for over 10 years and haven't had a contract for the last 9 years.
    Laura Knotek and RumoredNow like this.
    01-10-2015 12:06 PM
    My plan is to evaluate coverage first and if AT&T is good enough (and I suspect it will be) I will get into a no-contract relationship with them and try to get an 830 at the best possible price and buy it outright. I want off the contract merry-go-round as well.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    01-10-2015 12:20 PM
    Sign up on an AT&T backed mvno and you don't have to compromise on coverage. Then buy your phones unlocked from Expansys and other vendors, and life is better.

Avoid the Sprint ones. Bad coverage.

Verizon mvno is good if you never travel internationally or shop carefully but phones are limited due to CDMA voice network.
    So in your experience the coverage from an AT&T mvno is the same as AT&T? I'm not doubting, I'm asking because I might explore this possibility.
    01-10-2015 12:22 PM
    I'm not sure what all the talk is about Verizon dropping all Windows Phones. The HTC One M8 and Samsung Ativ SE are still listed. The Samsung is a pretty useless phone but the M8 is a top notch WP.
    01-10-2015 12:39 PM
    It is called voting with your dollars, people.
    Yep I vote with my dollars. I just renewed my Verizon contract for 2 years. I have an unlimited data plan, and I don't intend to give it up until it's pried from my cold dead fingers. I'm barely halfway through my contract month, and I've used over 32GB.

Sprint and T-Mobile have unlimited data too, but they're not an option where I live. Coverage is too weak. Which is part of my point: not everybody has the option to switch carriers. Verizon has the best coverage overall, which translates to it being the only viable option in some locations.

Today we're upset with Verizon, tomorrow it will be AT&T. In fact, remember last year when Verizon was being praised in their support for WP because they got the Icon and the M8? And how at one of the Nokia Lumia announcements (I forget which one), a reporter asked why Nokia chose such an awful release partner (AT&T) and a lot of people agreed? Which US carrier has released Denim? AT&T doesn't have the most stellar record either. Sprint and T-Mobile never have been chosen to release a flagship that I recall.

Sent from whatever device I happen to be using today using Tapatalk
    Last edited by tgp; 01-10-2015 at 02:44 PM.
    Laura Knotek and RumoredNow like this.
    01-10-2015 02:19 PM
    Yeah, tgp, but you are an exception with the unlimited grandfather. Most users are not and need a better value. Glad it is working for you. For those who are not happy, it may just be time to switch.

I also understand there are those who somehow suck up 10's and 100's of GB each month, but then again that is an exception, not a rule. I had true unlimited high speed data on T-Mo without ever really coming close to the monthly 3GB high speed limit on Straight Talk. So that part of T-Mo's service was actually wasted on me.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    01-10-2015 02:56 PM
    So in your experience the coverage from an AT&T mvno is the same as AT&T? I'm not doubting, I'm asking because I might explore this possibility.
    They are contracting out on the AT&T network, so yes, coverage should be the same.
    badcat likes this.
    01-10-2015 03:08 PM
    Thanks GoodThings2Life, I appreciate it.
    01-11-2015 09:48 AM
    Thanks GoodThings2Life, I appreciate it.
    Only caveat is that max speed is 8Mbps on ATT MVNO including Cricket Wireless.
    Laura Knotek and badcat like this.
    01-12-2015 12:09 AM
    Yeah, tgp, but you are an exception with the unlimited grandfather. Most users are not and need a better value. Glad it is working for you. For those who are not happy, it may just be time to switch.

I also understand there are those who somehow suck up 10's and 100's of GB each month, but then again that is an exception, not a rule. I had true unlimited high speed data on T-Mo without ever really coming close to the monthly 3GB high speed limit on Straight Talk. So that part of T-Mo's service was actually wasted on me.
    I had "unlimited" grandfathered AT&T plan, but I got rid of it. I took the shared plan with 30 GB/month, which works great for me, when AT&T offered the promotion (30 GB for 15 GB price). The so-called "unlimited" plan was throttled anyway, once one exceeded 5 GB, and tethering wasn't permitted. I'm actually paying $20/month less than I did with the old plan, and I'm out of contract anyway. I'll either take the Next payment plan or pay full retail when I get a new device, but I won't get a new contract again.
    RumoredNow, badcat and worldspy99 like this.
    01-12-2015 12:24 AM
    Today we're upset with Verizon, tomorrow it will be AT&T. In fact, remember last year when Verizon was being praised in their support for WP because they got the Icon and the M8? And how at one of the Nokia Lumia announcements (I forget which one), a reporter asked why Nokia chose such an awful release partner (AT&T) and a lot of people agreed? Which US carrier has released Denim? AT&T doesn't have the most stellar record either. Sprint and T-Mobile never have been chosen to release a flagship that I recall.
    And what did denim provide to the Lumia phones that received the update? Cause I don't notice anything different with my 928. It may have been released first on Verizon, after skipping cyan, but I can't see a noticeable boost in performance, and I certainly didn't get the upgrades to camera/cortana because my phone doesn't have the correct hardware. The phone that does, the Icon, still hasn't received denim either.
    01-28-2015 01:44 PM
    And what did denim provide to the Lumia phones that received the update? Cause I don't notice anything different with my 928. It may have been released first on Verizon, after skipping cyan, but I can't see a noticeable boost in performance, and I certainly didn't get the upgrades to camera/cortana because my phone doesn't have the correct hardware. The phone that does, the Icon, still hasn't received denim either.
    If you were not on P4D
    Live folders.
    Improved glance. "add wearher app or photo to glance screen"
    "Smoother and faster browsing experience" (what ever that means)
    VPN support
    Apps Corner

If you were on P4D
    Nothing new.
    Maybe some P4D bug fixes
    RumoredNow and Big Papa Smurf like this.
    01-28-2015 01:54 PM
    I was on P4D. Maybe that's why I didn't notice. Thanks for that^_^
    01-28-2015 03:56 PM