Does using 3G vs 4G save on "high speed data"?

rasmasyean

May 19, 2008
Visit site
The rep at the phone store showed how I can change between 4G and 3G to "save data for later" so to speak.
I texted this number 611611 as per instructions to get data usage but it shows only one number and it's pretty high considering I mostly used 3G.
I got Simple Mobile in a Nokia Lumina 635 is that matters.

Is that number just a generic counter? Do they really categorize data speed usage? I didn't find any usage info in the website.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Basically the only difference between 3G and 4G is the download speed. So if downloading (and saving it on your phone) of a movie with 3G takes 5 minutes it will only take 1 or 2 minutes with 4G. If you listen to internet radio there is no difference in usage between 3 and 4G.
If you browse the web it can be more smooth than if you use 3G due to the faster connection.
Furthermore if you use 4G the phone will try to use 4G but if the coverage of 4G is bad it will go to 3G if that coverage is better.

And if you want to know if there is a different counter for 3 or 4 G contact your carrier because than you know for sure..

rasmasyean

May 19, 2008
Visit site
So I've been doing speedtest.net-ing.
So far, in my case, the difference seems to be UPLOAD speed mostly...4G being greater than 3G.

I just hit the high speed limit and got a text from the carrier saying my speed will be reduced for the remainder of the 30 days. However, I just did a speedtest and it didn't really show anything happened, so if there is a "switch to 3G and save data thing", they still automate that message at the threshold limit.

3G -> H+ -> 15 / 3
4G -> LTE -> 14/18

I've been seeing results like this since below the data limit, albeit sometimes it was overall slower at different locations. But what is consistent is that there's little difference in DL, but UL is much greater in 4G.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
yes but these also depend on carrier and coverage.
In my case

4G 10 - 30 Mb/s in download 5 - 15 Mb/s in upload
3G 2 - 8 Mb/s in download 0,5 - 1 Mb/s in upload

And it seams that carriers try to increase the speeds because other carriers also do.

rasmasyean

May 19, 2008
Visit site
So what you're suggesting is that perhaps in my area, 4G has the potential to like go much higher, but there are just a lot of ppl in my area on LTE?

And on the other end, not that many ppl are on H+, or that those who are don't stream videos and whatnot, so I might be getting the max from it at the moment?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NunezGuad