Can I use a Lumia 920 on Cricket?

anon(5383410)

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I guess I'll just state my scenario and what I'd like to do and if anyone can help it would be appreciated.

1. Currently on Verizon.
2. Want to switch to the 10gb prepaid Cricket plan.
3. Want to buy a used (obviously locked for AT&T) Lumia 920 and use it on said plan
4. Want to port my Verizon number to said Cricket plan and phone.
5. Why am I using bullet points like I'm at work?

Is this possible? If so I will be very happy and you'll make someone's day. :smile:

If not, it's cool... :unhappysweat:

Luisraul924

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
As already mentioned above; using AT&T devices on Cricket does work. That 10 gb plan is awesome! $60/mo. for excellent service (AT&T is awesome in my area) is great. The only thing though, I'm not entirely sure about porting your existing number. That is something you would have to ask locally. I know in my area Cricket doesn't port numbers in or out for some reason. Probably something to do with their MVNO agreement.

anon(5383410)

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
As already mentioned above; using AT&T devices on Cricket does work. That 10 gb plan is awesome! $60/mo. for excellent service (AT&T is awesome in my area) is great. The only thing though, I'm not entirely sure about porting your existing number. That is something you would have to ask locally. I know in my area Cricket doesn't port numbers in or out for some reason. Probably something to do with their MVNO agreement.

I spoke to AT&T about it but I'm not sure how much of AT&T's policies Cricket is adopting so I'll speak to someone at Cricket to make sure they'll port the number. If not I think I'll still do it.

anon(5383410)

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I just chatted with someone at Cricket and according to them

1. You can port a Verizon number, but
2. Your phone has to be unlocked.

I've done research and read plenty of stories from people saying they were able to use an AT&T locked phone on Cricket (now this site included), but the Cricket rep is saying I can't. Maybe that particular rep just doesn't know or for whatever reason they won't come out and tell you this because of liability issues? I'll try calling them to see if someone else gives me the same answer and point out that I 'know' people that are using AT&T devices on Cricket.

Luisraul924

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

I've done research and read plenty of stories from people saying they were able to use an AT&T locked phone on Cricket (now this site included), but the Cricket rep is saying I can't. Maybe that particular rep just doesn't know or for whatever reason they won't come out and tell you this because of liability issues? I'll try calling them to see if someone else gives me the same answer and point out that I 'know' people that are using AT&T devices on Cricket.

Yeah there's a possibility that he didn't know. I gave my old Lumia 920 to my sister and she used it just fine. I attempted to get the unlock code for it but AT&T denied my request for some reason or another. My sister wanted it anyway so I told her that it won't work but we slapped her SIM in the phone and it worked just fine. Oh by the way I forgot to mention; I'm currently on Cricket's 10 gb plan it's great! :)

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site

This is not true if you have an AT&T locked phone. An AT&T 920 will work on Cricket just fine. It seems to be SOP for some of the MVNOs like Cricket to say that a phone has to be either their phone or unlocked. It's probably just to cover themselves if your BYOP doesn't work for some reason. In real life however, an AT&T locked phone works fine on Cricket.

anon(5383410)

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Be that as it may, I went to Cricket and when you try to signup for a plan and choose "bring your own phone" it takes you to a screen to enter the emei number of the phone and clearly states "You need an unlocked GSM phone to use the Cricket Network.". I'm going to give it a shot anyway because I have a friend with a 920 who's donating it to me, but just figured I'd throw that out there in case anyone else finds this thread via search in the future.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss