Going to Canada for 3 Days..

Mindstike

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
Howdy all, looking to head to Canada a few days. Currently with ATT, and a 820 and Samsung Focus for phones. Now, would it be easier for me just to pick up a "Go Sim card" then having to pay $30 more to add roaming onto my plan. (Grandfathered Unlimited so do not want to give them any reason to revoke it, or modify)

Or can I just pick up a Sim card over there and live off their network. Rodgers? Just need some form of mild network access to the Webs.. etc.. I downloaded offline maps, but having some Data can be helpful.

Any thoughts for those that "have" been there.. or live up there.

Thanks!

P.S. Damn it I wish I could fix my 'username" grrr

Marc Archambault

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
Canada has some of the most expensive wireless plans in world so ATT may be cheaper lol. All kidding aside depending on where you are going and for how long you may want to use one of the cheaper carriers like Wind.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Mindstrike, are your phones unlocked? If not - they will need to be unlocked or the whole point is moot.

Here is a breakdown I found on some carriers and mvnos in Canada. Canada - Prepaid Data SIM Card Wiki

Data only plans seem pretty rare and overall it looks like the bill will be fairly steep for just a few days visit. Don't discount the prevalence of public WiFi...

Mindstike

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
Thx Rumored. Indeed my Focus is unlocked.. I would have to fix the 820. Indeed, looks like I might rely more on the Wifi and pop out them ATT sim for a few days.

Thanks for the link too!

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Hmm when I visited Verizon actually has included unlimited texting from Canada to other Verizon lines and I kept offline maps and just connected to WiFi hotspots as needed and didn't spend a dime. I thought AT&T did a similar thing with texting, but I could be wrong. Something worth looking into though.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Hmm when I visited Verizon actually has included unlimited texting from Canada to other Verizon lines and I kept offline maps and just connected to WiFi hotspots as needed and didn't spend a dime. I thought AT&T did a similar thing with texting, but I could be wrong. Something worth looking into though.

I think the OP's legacy plan is the sticking point.

T-Mo Simple Choice offers free text and data in over 150 countries, but I wouldn't recommend switching just for a trip to Quebec. LOL

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos