05-26-2017 12:50 PM
40 12
tools
    I'm currently on AT&T, which is fine but I'm on the 1GB plan and I share that between two phones. Cricket just upped their data limit on the base plan to 2.5 gigs. That's more data than AT&T's new "rollover data" can offer. I figured now's a good time to jump ship. Now I'm just waiting for AT&T to send me my unlock codes. Until then, anyone happy with their Cricket service? Anything I should know about?
    xsodaxmachinex likes this.
    02-09-2015 09:52 AM
    Been using it since September last year. Coverage is more or less same as ATT, LTE data speeds are capped at 9M, HSPA+ at 4M. Internet sharing is not supported, neither is Visual Voicemail on non-Cricket ROMs on Windows Phone. Overall I'm quite satisfied with 2 lines for $70, better than T-Mobile's coverage for sure
    HeyCori likes this.
    02-09-2015 10:09 AM
    I had a horrible experience trying to get signed up with Cricket... If you have a physical location near you for support I say go for it. Otherwise you may have to work to get enrolled and set up: http://forums.windowscentral.com/car...r-service.html

Cricket's tiered discount per line added is very attractive. If they prove to be a hassle, go the Straight Talk AT&T compatible SIM route. It's my second go around with ST and all is well...

Side note: Want Visual Voice Mail? Go to YouMail on your PC browser and sign up. Then download the ISeeVM App to your phone. It is a free and very feature rich service. Kicks the snot out of the VVM I had through T-Mobile.
    HeyCori and aximtreo like this.
    02-09-2015 11:25 AM
    Thanks for the YouMail tip! I am lucky enough to have a Cricket store in my area. I figured I'd go there to transfer my number and get everything setup. I'm not too concerned with capped LTE. While capped LTE is unfortunate, having excess data is more tempting than AT&T's paltry data limits.
    RumoredNow and aximtreo like this.
    02-09-2015 04:02 PM
    I had a horrible experience trying to get signed up with Cricket... If you have a physical location near you for support I say go for it..
    I would double that. Once you get it activated, its good for use...but they have problems which frustrate you during activation process.

Also, if you are planning to call abroad with basic plan....I have not been able to figure out a good way yet. There is no direct international dialing / compatible value add plan for basic service.
    HeyCori and RumoredNow like this.
    02-09-2015 04:08 PM
    Been using it since September last year. Coverage is more or less same as ATT, LTE data speeds are capped at 9M, HSPA+ at 4M. Internet sharing is not supported, neither is Visual Voicemail on non-Cricket ROMs on Windows Phone. Overall I'm quite satisfied with 2 lines for $70, better than T-Mobile's coverage for sure
    Did you have to change the APN or anything?
    02-09-2015 04:30 PM
    Did you have to change the APN or anything?
    Yep for my 920, nope for my 830
    HeyCori likes this.
    02-09-2015 07:16 PM
    Thanks for the info.
    02-09-2015 08:54 PM
    My unlock codes came in last night. I'm making the switch after work. Hopefully all goes well.
    RumoredNow and aximtreo like this.
    02-11-2015 09:57 AM
    Huzzah for better value and consumer choice.

Best of luck, Cori, Let us know how it went.
    HeyCori and aximtreo like this.
    02-11-2015 10:11 AM
    My unlock codes came in last night. I'm making the switch after work. Hopefully all goes well.
    Just an FYI, AT&T phones work out of the box without unlocking on Cricket's network
    aximtreo, HeyCori and Ordeith like this.
    02-11-2015 12:41 PM
    Thanks. I heard that before but I didn't want to take any chances.
    02-11-2015 01:16 PM
    Well that was... painless. Walked into my local Cricket, told them what I wanted and that was basically it. The lady transferred all my info (btw, she also uses the Lumia 1320) and popped the Cricket SIMs in afterwards. Everything worked immediately. My text messages, data and MMS all worked without any problems. And since both phones were AT&T phones (1520 & 925), I didn't even have to use the unlock codes, which is kinda sweet since now I can choose between unlocked or AT&T branded phones when I upgrade. And dat price! With Next, 3GB of data, and two phones I was paying $118 on AT&T. My Cricket bill is $60 with 2.5 gigs for each phone. The only downside are the data speeds. At the store I couldn't get past 3.4Mbps. At home I couldn't get above 2. Makes me wonder if I'm only getting 4G and not LTE.
    Last edited by HeyCori; 02-11-2015 at 08:12 PM.
    Laura Knotek and aximtreo like this.
    02-11-2015 07:55 PM
    How are you paying 60? Shouldn't it be 70 (40+30)? Also visual voicemail does not work. 3.5M is mostly HSPA not LTE, does your phone show LTE?
    02-11-2015 08:53 PM
    It's $35 per line when you sign up for the auto pay (which I still have to do). Then you get a $10 discount when you add a second line. So my phone and my girl's phone.

The phone actually says Cricket LTE but I'm clearly not hitting the 8Mbps limit. I might stop by the store tomorrow to see what's up. However, we're also supposed to get 3-7 inches of snow tomorrow so maybe I won't lol.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    02-11-2015 08:59 PM
    It's $35 per line when you sign up for the auto pay (which I still have to do). Then you get a $10 discount when you add a second line. So my phone and my girl's phone.
    I don't think you get discounts on both extra lines and auto pay. A colleague of mine and his wife use Cricket, and he said they could have gotten the $10 discount in two different ways; $10 discount on the 2nd line, or $5 each for auto pay. Since they signed up at the same time, their lines are on the same account so they're getting the Group Save discount. I'm afraid you'll be paying $70, which by the way is still excellent value!

I found this on Cricket support:

Can I get the Auto Pay discount on my Group Save account?
    No, the Auto Pay credit does not apply to accounts receiving a Group Save discount.
    HeyCori, Laura Knotek and aximtreo like this.
    02-11-2015 09:42 PM
    BUMMER! Oh well, that's still a better deal than what AT&T was giving me. And once I get this LTE thing figured out I'll be all set.
    tgp and Laura Knotek like this.
    02-11-2015 09:48 PM
    ...visual voicemail does not work...
    ...Side note: Want Visual Voice Mail? Go to YouMail on your PC browser and sign up. Then download the ISeeVM App to your phone. It is a free and very feature rich service. Kicks the snot out of the VVM I had through T-Mobile.
    HeyCori likes this.
    02-11-2015 09:53 PM
    And once I get this LTE thing figured out I'll be all set.
    Your problem is interesting. Are both phones slow, or only one of them? Cricket LTE works perfectly with my colleague's unlocked Moto X 2013, with download speeds in the 8 to 9Mbps range. I don't know if he had to manually create the proper APN, but that's a non issue on an unlocked Android. I'm not sure what it would take on your phone(s), but that might be the problem.

Either way, Cricket facilitates BYOD, so they should know how to resolve the issue.
    HeyCori likes this.
    02-11-2015 09:58 PM
    Yup, both phones are slow. At least according to Microsoft's Network test app. I can still stream video just at low res.

Edit: Same results using the speedtest.net app.
    02-11-2015 10:05 PM
    Can you get to field test mode on any of your phones?
    HeyCori likes this.
    02-11-2015 10:47 PM
    Scratch that. Woke up this morning and decided to run another speed test. My phone hit 10Mbps before settling down at 7.6Mbps. Same with my wife's phone. Everything appears to be working perfect. Thanks for all the help everyone!
    tgp and anon(5383410) like this.
    02-12-2015 06:23 AM
    Scratch that. Woke up this morning and decided to run another speed test. My phone hit 10Mbps before settling down at 7.6Mbps. Same with my wife's phone. Everything appears to be working perfect. Thanks for all the help everyone!
    Great! My wife is currently on Net10 AT&T, but I'm planning to switch her over to Cricket this month, before her current 30 day plan expires. The recent added data made the decision easy. Basically the same benefits, with a $15 lower cost. The only downside is that Net10 has full speed LTE, but she's at home on WiFi most of the time anyway.

I currently have a Verizon plan with unlimited data, so I'm not going anywhere until it's forcefully taken from me! It's not cheap, but where I live the coverage is excellent, and speeds are very good. I've gotten up to 74Mbps down sitting at my desk at work.
    HeyCori likes this.
    02-12-2015 09:29 AM
    74Mbps!!!
    02-12-2015 09:32 AM
    This thread made my day. I've been contemplating leaving Verizon for Cricket for months now. I pay entirely too much money for a person that doesn't even like talking on the phone and the signal at home is surprisingly mediocre for someone living in a relatively densely populated area. I'm thinking of waiting for the next high-end at&t Windows phone to jump ship.
    HeyCori likes this.
    02-21-2015 03:16 PM
40 12