Windows Phones on Google carrier

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Google isn't becoming a carrier in the normal since, they are becoming a MNVO which means they are piggy backing on Sprint and TMobile. So this is nothing really to become excited about. For those that don't know what MNVO is, Mobile Network Virtual Operator.

That much we knew. What's to be seen is how they operate, and if it shakes up the industry. I can also imagine a partnership with one of the major carriers like T-Mobile in the future. The other possibility is DISH.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Google isn't becoming a carrier in the normal since, they are becoming a MNVO which means they are piggy backing on Sprint and TMobile. So this is nothing really to become excited about. For those that don't know what MNVO is, Mobile Network Virtual Operator.

Erm... mvno - The network is virtual, not the operator: mobile virtual network operator. Big difference. They don't just sign people up and take a cut while Sprint or T-Mo does all the lifting.

^ What difference does it make exactly?

They don't have to build out infrastructure so much and can hit the ground running with a huge footprint really fast.

They are still gatekeepers and conduits not only for your data, but voice as well. All your traffic is going through their servers.

So the difference is speed and ease of implementation on Google's end. Their top to bottom control of traffic is no different.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Apparently this new Google carrier setup will only work with the Nexus 6 devices. So no windows phones.

From what I've read, which is admittedly a bit vague, that is only a launch limitation. This is how pocketnow reports it:

"with one of the surprising things being that this service will only work on the Motorola-made Nexus 6 smartphone *at launch*."

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It was intended as a rhetorical question. Exactly the point I wanted to make ��

Yeah... I was just painting in the detail between your broad strokes. A LOT of American consumers really don't know this stuff. It's part of the "don't care" that tgp posts about quite often.

I knew that YOU knew, a5cent... I was putting some detail with your rhetorical and making it more clear for the "don't know, don't care" crowd.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I knew that YOU knew, a5cent... I was putting some detail with your rhetorical and making it more clear for the "don't know, don't care" crowd.

No worries 😉

I was hoping to get some folks to go through the motions on their own... you were just faster 😊

Anyway, your answer was better than what I would have said, so thanks for that.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire