So upset with Straight Talk / Verizon....

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
So I just got my Lumia Icon (that I bought on Craigslist for $80) replaced by Microsoft for a brand new one because of a faulty digitizer/processor. Upon receiving it and trying to get it activated on my existing Straight Talk account, it turns out that you have to have had existing service with Verizon before in order to be able to use it. This sucks because now I have to use my Icon on AT&T, with no MMS, until my service is up. Then I have to switch to Verizon for prepaid for a month, then switch BACK to Straight Talk.

Can anyone think of a possible work around for this?

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
I have an ICON on Straight Talk and had no problems activating. Did you call and speak with a phone rep at Straight Talk. Doing it online is an adventure in hell but the phone people are normally quite helpful.

plot_almighty

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
Straight Talk has SIMs with every major carrier. If im not mistaken they have Verizon SIMs as well. If you take it to a Verizon store and tell a rep your story and explain you need it unlocked so you can use it internationally im fairly sure they will unlock it without problem.

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
I have tried with 5 different reps and they have said that they can't activate it. I think what they're doing is trying to use the same "Register your CDMA device" link that faces customers, but tech support seems to say the same thing. When I enter the IMEI, it says my phone isn't compatible, and it has even baffled Straight Talk because when they check compatibility it says my phone is Verizon Lumia Icon clear for activation and 4G LTE capable. Then they move to the step of registering it and they get that error and give up and tell me sorry.

The last rep I spoke to said it was because this phone is brand new and has not been used on Verizon yet, therefore it doesn't have a "profile" for Straight Talk to pull their Verizon service from. There appears to possibly be some credibility to this, as my first Icon was used by the guy on Verizon for a while before he sold it to me, so idk...

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
Straight Talk has SIMs with every major carrier. If im not mistaken they have Verizon SIMs as well. If you take it to a Verizon store and tell a rep your story and explain you need it unlocked so you can use it internationally im fairly sure they will unlock it without problem.

Yea, I am currently using it on Straight Talk on AT&T. However, I called Verizon to perhaps see if they had any insight and they told me I would have to get the phone registered and used on Verizon. It was probably their tactic to just get money, but I'm not sure what else to do...

When you say unlocked, do you mean they'll free it up or "mask it" as if I've used it on Verizon before? The phone came unlocked (thus why I am able to use it on AT&T, full data and everything, as we speak.....)

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Yea, I am currently using it on Straight Talk on AT&T. However, I called Verizon to perhaps see if they had any insight and they told me I would have to get the phone registered and used on Verizon. It was probably their tactic to just get money, but I'm not sure what else to do...

When you say unlocked, do you mean they'll free it up or "mask it" as if I've used it on Verizon before? The phone came unlocked (thus why I am able to use it on AT&T, full data and everything, as we speak.....)

The Icon is only unlocked for GSM and LTE. CDMA is different and will not work on another carriers CDMA network unless unlocked by the carrier it was branded to. Verizon just recently started allowing Straight Talk to use its network, so Straight Talk's and/or Verizon's customer service reps may not have the updated info on how to activate them.

Also, did you run Straight Talk's IMEI tool? It asks for both IMEI and ZIP Code, you may not be able to use it on Verizon's CDMA network that is in your area.

Tracfone: BYOP

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
The Icon is only unlocked for GSM and LTE. CDMA is different and will not work on another carriers CDMA network unless unlocked by the carrier it was branded to. Verizon just recently started allowing Straight Talk to use its network, so Straight Talk's and/or Verizon's customer service reps may not have the updated info on how to activate them.

Also, did you run Straight Talk's IMEI tool? It asks for both IMEI and ZIP Code, you may not be able to use it on Verizon's CDMA network that is in your area.

Tracfone: BYOP

Yea, I ran the IMEI through that and it says my phone is totally compatible. Then when I go to register it it says that it isn't compatible. I was able to use my old Icon just fine on Verizon Straight Talk in January and the first half of February (until I sent it off for Microsoft repair). It would make sense that the other phone would be fine because that phone was used on Verizon for a while before the guy sold it to me. So I have to get the phone "unlocked" to be used on Straight Talk's CDMA network. Will Verizon even unlock my phone since I do not want to use the phone with them?

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Yea, I ran the IMEI through that and it says my phone is totally compatible. Then when I go to register it it says that it isn't compatible. I was able to use my old Icon just fine on Verizon Straight Talk in January and the first half of February (until I sent it off for Microsoft repair). It would make sense that the other phone would be fine because that phone was used on Verizon for a while before the guy sold it to me. So I have to get the phone "unlocked" to be used on Straight Talk's CDMA network. Will Verizon even unlock my phone since I do not want to use the phone with them?

You shouldn't have to "unlock" anything. Did you try to register the phone? It says you need to do that before trying to activate.

Phone Information

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
You shouldn't have to "unlock" anything. Did you try to register the phone? It says you need to do that before trying to activate.

Phone Information

Ok. Straight Talk says their is a problem with their site right now and that's why this is happening. Idk, when I check the ESN on swappa.com it says it is not blacklisted but also has a question mark and says I need to contact the provider of it for some reason. Also, when I enter the IMEI on Verizon's website I also get the same message about the phone when registering it for prepaid, so it has something to do with Verizon because this is a brand new phone.

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
You might want to go through all of this trouble, but you could sell the brand new one, buy a used one in mint condition, and probably pocket $100-150.

Usually, if there's a question mark like you say, for swappa or Verizon, that means it's registered as a subsidized phone, and they aren't going to let it be used on another CDMA carrier until it's off-contract.

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
You might want to go through all of this trouble, but you could sell the brand new one, buy a used one in mint condition, and probably pocket $100-150.

Usually, if there's a question mark like you say, for swappa or Verizon, that means it's registered as a subsidized phone, and they aren't going to let it be used on another CDMA carrier until it's off-contract.

The problem with that is I can't find any below $200 dollars. Paying $80 and then getting a brand new one because of replacement is pretty tough to beat. I do see where you are coming from, and I appreciate the recommendation and feedback, but I just got off the phon with Verizon and they said according to their records everything is green as far as the phone being set up and good to go for use on Straight Talk. A couple of Straight Talk reps have told me there is an error with their system or website, while others have just given up and said the phone is incompatible.

Either way, I'm at least using the phone on AT&T Straight Talk for now...

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
That right there... Insane.

To this day I have no clue why dude sold it for so cheap, especially considering his sister worked for Microsoft, so he DEFINITELY knew how much that phone was worth. He told me he just wanted an S5 really bad and only needed $80 bucks. Checked ESN, came back green, still had warranty, came with box and everything....

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site

I would agree, but once the guy who sold it took it off of his contract, the IMEI would show as not activated and therefore able to activate either through Verizon directly or through Straight Talk. I've swapped phones with used phones in mid-contract with no problems. I had a Samsung Fascinate that I swapped out with a Galaxy Nexus I bought on eBay. I called Verizon who activated my GNex and removed my Fascinate from my contract with no problems. I did it again, when I replaced my Galaxy Note II with a Lumia 928 (again I bought on eBay). I put my GNII's SIM in my 928 and everything worked with no worries.

The fact that Verizon is having a problem with it seems to me that the guy who sold it wasn't on the "up and up."

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
I agree, a brand new one for $80 I can't believe you got MS to replace it.

I bought a 1520 that had a secondary microphone issue. It was under warranty, so I sent it to MS. They sent it back untouched because I was not the original owner.

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
I would agree, but once the guy who sold it took it off of his contract, the IMEI would show as not activated and therefore able to activate either through Verizon directly or through Straight Talk. I've swapped phones with used phones in mid-contract with no problems. I had a Samsung Fascinate that I swapped out with a Galaxy Nexus I bought on eBay. I called Verizon who activated my GNex and removed my Fascinate from my contract with no problems. I did it again, when I replaced my Galaxy Note II with a Lumia 928 (again I bought on eBay). I put my GNII's SIM in my 928 and everything worked with no worries.

The fact that Verizon is having a problem with it seems to me that the guy who sold it wasn't on the "up and up."

I think you're misunderstanding. The original Icon I had was the one I purchased for $80 on Craigslist. I activated it with no problems on Straight Talk but had to get that phone replaced by Microsoft (I think something was wrong with the internals because Hey Cortana never worked, while this new one works everytime). Microsoft gave me a brand new one in the mail and kept the one I bought on Craigslist. This new one is the one I am having problems with.

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
I agree, a brand new one for $80 I can't believe you got MS to replace it.

I bought a 1520 that had a secondary microphone issue. It was under warranty, so I sent it to MS. They sent it back untouched because I was not the original owner.

They never asked me for that, just checked if it was still in warranty. That's crazy they did that, this actually my 2nd "new phone swap" with phones I didn't originally own.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I think you're misunderstanding. The original Icon I had was the one I purchased for $80 on Craigslist. I activated it with no problems on Straight Talk but had to get that phone replaced by Microsoft (I think something was wrong with the internals because Hey Cortana never worked, while this new one works everytime). Microsoft gave me a brand new one in the mail and kept the one I bought on Craigslist. This new one is the one I am having problems with.

Ok. Now I understand. I am still stumped as to why you can't activate it though. Putting your old Straight Talk SIM in the new phone should've been all that was needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo