Switching to Verizon - ATIV SE vs M8

Mike Majeski

May 28, 2014
Visit site
So I will be switching to Verizon within the next month or two - right now it appears my choice is either the Samsung ATIV SE or the HTC One M8 (unless stores still have any Icons lying around in the back). I think there are rumors that LG is about to launch a low end device on Verizon, but it will have a pretty crappy screen.

Out of the two available, which one would you go with right now?

The M8 is the newer phone...but I am not a big fan of non-plastic phones. They are slippery, scratch easily, and the first thing you do is throw some plastic on them anyway!

The Samsung is aging, but has the better camera and has the bonus of being plastic.

Mike Majeski

May 28, 2014
Visit site
The M8 is a superior device despite it having a metallic surface. But that is just my opinion:)

Yeah I guess I will have to check both out in store once it is time to switch (probably the end of April / early-May time frame). Really wish some type of Lumia would come to Verizon soon, but looks like I'd have to wait around until Windows 10 for that.

Or I guess I could just get a cheap Android to get all the Edge discounts and then just buy an Icon second-hand and throw the SIM in that.

Rogozinski

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
I had the M8 but I sold him because of the poor camera. Now I have the Ativ SE and camera is amazing. Device is beautiful and fast. Plus we had the 8.1 update last week. So go for Samsung :)

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Go on ebay or swappa, buy a used or refurbished ICON, save your upgrade for when Windows 10 comes out as there should be new flagship devices out when Windows 10 is released...

You should be able to get a nice ICON for around $200-300 off contract.

Ltauhmise

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
I own an HTC M8 Windows, 2 Lumia Icons, and 1 Samsung Ativ SE. I -never- use the HTC M8 for Windows. It never felt right in my hand.

I do, however, switch between my Icons and my Ativ SE. The SE is no slouch and offers everything the ICON is capable of doing with the added bonus of SD card support. Screen is crisp, it's VERY LIGHT, and generally is an overall good experience.

The Lumia Icon looks, feels, and weighs, like a premium device. If you can purchase an ICON I would highly recommend it. You can find good condition icons on ebay for around 200 dollars. The nokia app suite is exception and the battery life is excellent.

Whichever the case, you can't go wrong with either the Icon or SE.

Never a fan of the HTC M8.... but none the less, good luck in your decision.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo