Straight talk incoming mms issue

Fish On

Dec 8, 2014
Visit site
Thanks to whomever moved my query (originally posted as it's own thread) into this thread. I hadn't found this thread yet, but now that it's moved here, I see that I wasn't the only person who had this issue.

I hadn't yet considered how the MMS issue coincides with the Straight Talk Data update message, but it makes sense.

What it does tell me is that the problem isn't related to the hardware on my end, so I can quit pulling my hair out trying to figure it out. Considering my family's propensity for hair loss without resorting to pulling it out, that's definitely a good thing.

Now, I just wish I had found this before I deleted all my texts....:unhappy:

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
As the OP states, it also started for me (or I noticed after) Straight Talk sent me an SMS via short code 54676. My wife got the same SMS at the same time. Her Android will send and receive MMS just fine.

My 930-no incoming mms. My daughter's S5- mms ok. Both on ST at&t SIM cards

Did you check to see if your APN settings are the same on your WPs as on the Androids, or is it not possible to match exactly? My WP isn't active at the moment, but I remember setting one up awhile ago with Net10 AT&T and I had to guess at a few of the fields because they were different than Android's. That was probably back when Amber was the current version though, so I don't know what's changed, if anything, since then.

But either way, if MMS was working and then quit, your APN settings shouldn't be the problem if Android devices were not affected.

Net10 recently upped the data from 3GB to 5GB as well; I wonder if their WP users were affected. My wife is on Net10, but she uses an Android.

o1legacygt

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Im very curious about net10 too. I might order a sim to give it a try. What ever you guys do dont waste your time with a hard reset. Wont do anything. I tried. :)

mary beth hale

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Did you check to see if your APN settings are the same on your WPs as on the Androids, or is it not possible to match exactly? My WP isn't active at the moment, but I remember setting one up awhile ago with Net10 AT&T and I had to guess at a few of the fields because they were different than Android's. That was probably back when Amber was the current version though, so I don't know what's changed, if anything, since then.

But either way, if MMS was working and then quit, your APN settings shouldn't be the problem if Android devices were not affected.

Net10 recently upped the data from 3GB to 5GB as well; I wonder if their WP users were affected. My wife is on Net10, but she uses an Android.

I tried the mms settings my daughter uses on her GS5 and still no luck.(uses the same at&t ST SIM). Off work tomorrow so will bite the bullet and get on the phone to ST support. Haven't had a response from my support ticket yet, which is odd. The few times I submitted one in the past, I heard back within a few hours.

o1legacygt

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Well guys. I got fed up. Went and got a Cricket sim card. Transferred number over. Popped in new sim, cricket apns were automatically set and everything works perfectly without a problem. Yeah i dont have the extra 2gb of data, but well, at least everything is working for now.

rcity

May 10, 2015
Visit site
I'm glad I found this thread. This has been driving me crazy. My son has a Lumia 830, and I have a 920. Neither of us can receive inbound MMS. This issue just started a couple of days ago. Before that, everything was working well. I've been on the phone with Straight Talk for hours. A waste of time.
I've tried everything. Even hard resets. Really wish I would have found this thread first. Would have saved me a lot of headache. I'll guess I'll just keep checking to see if this gets fixed. In the meantime I've placed my sim card in an android phone (which I hate) because inbound MMS actually works.
Sure would be nice to have my windows phone fully functional again.

rcity

May 10, 2015
Visit site
Yeah after wasting 5 hours I decided its time to move on. So far pretty impressed with customer service at cricket.

I'm about there. I called ST again. They are unaware of any issue with Windows phones. That's not encouraging.

I was just on the phone with Straight Talk for awhile. They said they are unaware of any issues with Windows phones. That no one has called regarding any issue. They are sending my son and I each a new sim cards. I would encourage everyone to call Straight Talk (as painful as this is) and make them aware of this issue. Make sure the first technical support person you have understands why you are calling. They'll pretend like they're listening, and try to get you to go through their procedure. Continue to insist that everything WAS working, no settings have changed, and that many Windows people are having this sudden problem. Eventually that person will give up, and transfer you to the next person.
--Or, just buy a sim card from somewhere else. I'm not confident that a new sim card will fix this issue. I'll give it a shot, and then I'll move on from Straight Talk. I can't be without inbound MMS.

Last edited by a moderator:

nCogNeato

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
I'm having the same issue on my Lumia 1520 (AT&T RM-940). I first noticed this on Saturday, but was out of town so I assumed it was just because my phone was having trouble with the remote towers. Now that I'm home, problem persists, glad to see this thread.

Since it's obviously an issue on ST's side, I'm not going to bother altering anything on my end. However, if someone does get a Straight answer from Straight Talk, please post here. :)

The timing could not be stranger for me. I was about to switch to Cricket after my next bill cycle, but then decided to stay when they announced the 5gb increased limit. Now I'm back to considering Cricket. ugh

mary beth hale

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Well guys. I got fed up. Went and got a Cricket sim card. Transferred number over. Popped in new sim, cricket apns were automatically set and everything works perfectly without a problem. Yeah i dont have the extra 2gb of data, but well, at least everything is working for now.

Unfortunately I just purchased a 3 month service plan so I'm stuck til end of August!

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
Since it's obviously an issue on ST's side, I'm not going to bother altering anything on my end.

hmm, i would agree I'd it was only one or two models of phones but we're seeing all windows models... makes me think it is a software issue with how windows handles provisioning.

have you tried another texting application ?
have you tried the same sim card in an android and then the faulty windows handset again?

have you tried sending mms to your self via the faulty handset?

straight talk support is never going to win awards, if you must have working mms, i would suggest a pay as you go Sim from another carpet until it's solved, or a different phone (pie paid) if you have pret paid for three/six months on st.

i have apn's if anyone wants help, or for me to try theirs for comparison.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
have you tried sending mms to your self via the faulty handset?

I've already fixed an MMS issue by sending an MMS to myself. It worked; I have no clue why!

I was on Net10 last year, and I got throttled long before my data (2.5GB at the time) was used. Customer support was worthless, as is Straight Talk's in my experience. I even took to Twitter to try to get my throttling resolved. After going back and forth, I moved on. I replied to a tweet with Net10 CS that I resolved the problem by porting to GoPhone! :wink:

I wouldn't waste any time trying to get help from Straight Talk Customer Service. For the most part they have no clue what's going on. If MMS is working fine on Android but not WP, it must be an OS issue. It might sort itself out eventually. Or you have the option of moving on. ST/Net10 does have at least one advantage over Cricket though; the LTE is full speed.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Did you check to see if your APN settings are the same on your WPs as on the Androids, or is it not possible to match exactly?...

No they can not match exactly. Hers have not changed nor have mine.

IMHO it can NOT be the settings or I would not be able to send MMS - I've never heard in my time on the forums of settings that will send MMS but not let you receive. It's on or it's off. I don't see how there can be a one way setting. You would then need double the MMS settings in play to get the other half.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
IMHO it can NOT be the settings or I would not be able to send MMS - I've never heard in my time on the forums of settings that will send MMS but not let you receive. It's on or it's off.

I haven't seen it either. I've seen sending but not receiving MMS, but it wasn't a settings issue. IIRC (it was awhile ago) that's what I was able to get working by sending myself an MMS. Simply send one to the same number you're sending from.

mary beth hale

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Yep... Tried deleting all the Messaging threads and rebooting and then sending MMS to self. No love.
Tried the same ... nothing. And the android settings have input lines that are not on windows phones. This sucks, to put it mildly. Can't believe there are only the few of us that posted here having this problem.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss