Changes to Verizon Edge Program

Mike Majeski

May 28, 2014
Visit site
Looks like they are changing up the Edge rules:

Verizon Edge Making it Easier to Upgrade and Experience Verizon?s 4G LTE Network

No 30 day wait, but instead of being required to pay off 75%, you now have to pay off all of it. From the sounds of it, this becomes the rules for everyone, including existing Edge customers. When T-Mobile switched up their rules (12 months instead of 6) existing customers were allowed to stay under the old rules if they wanted to. Wonder if that is the case here.

Mike Majeski

May 28, 2014
Visit site
An article from Ars Technica makes it sound like if you activated under the old rules, you keep those:

Verizon's Edge website still quotes the old policy of allowing upgrades "After 30 days and [once] 75 percent of the current Edge device is paid off." Samberg confirmed to Ars that will be changed on May 31.

"Customers who activate or upgrade before May 31st will still be under the old upgrade terms?after 30 days and 75 percent paid, customers can upgrade but are required to turn in their phone is good working condition," he told Ars. "Terms for customers who activate on Edge on or after May 31st are upgrade whenever you want once device paid in full."

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
So as a Verizon customer they now give me the right to walk into their store, buy a phone and pay in full, complete the transaction, turn in the phone which is perfectly resalable by them and "upgrade" to a new phone and pay in full...

So anytime I pay double or more for one phone there is no penalty. Amazingly generous of them.

I'm gob smacked. Who is it, exactly, that needs to do this? :straight:

Mike Majeski

May 28, 2014
Visit site
I mean I guess the theory is that with the 75% payoff you turn in the phone and immediately start a new payment plan. So for a $100 phone, you pay $75, turn in the phone, and start paying off a new phone. With the new Edge rules, you pay the full $100, and then if you kept that phone in good shape, maybe you can flip it for $50 on eBay (I am sure they are going to urge you to do their trade in, but that's never the best way to get full value).

You could also give it to a family member to use, but then you are operating under BYOD and paying the full $40 line access, so might as well throw them on Edge as well. Sneaky.

Mike Majeski

May 28, 2014
Visit site
No, under the new rules you get to keep it. However, there is an option where you could turn it in and get credit towards your account / next purchase

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)