04-12-2016 10:16 AM
247 ... 8910
tools
    Thank you for that reply, it's good to have that clarification.

I guess I'll have to wait until Verizon & Microsoft get on the same page (or if not Microsoft, some other hardware maker that supports Windows 10 Mobile and Verizon's networks). I definitely want Windows 10 Mobile, and I definitely want to switch form Sprint to Verizon, so I'll just have to wait until the HW makers, Microsoft & VZ collectively get their acts together.

The dual-SIM isn't a hard-and-fast requirement, more of a nice-to-have. But to me, the ideal mobile phone is an unlocked, carrier-agnostic "world phone" in terms of RF capability (like iPhones - compatible with 90% of the world's current voice & data networks), with dual active SIMs.

This whole thing with Windows 10 Mobile being introduced in the US with no support for Verizon (or Sprint) CDMA networks (which combined represent roughly half of all US wireless customers) is totally annoying, frustrating and absolutely unnecessary. I don't know which parties need to be whooped with the blame stick, but whoever is to blame for those decisions really needs to be closely reviewed/examined as to whether they are fully competent at their jobs. It's a bunch of crap, and someone should be punished for the sheer stupidity of this result. I assume it will be corrected within a few months, but really, it's totally unacceptable and if I was king today, those responsible better have unimpeachable reasoning, or they'd be out of work instantly.
    aximtreo likes this.
    10-15-2015 08:18 PM
    Ambass, I totally agree except for the part about obsoleting the smart phone. I don't think they're tying to do that. I believe they realize the smart phone isn't going anywhere and that if they don't solidify their place in the enterprise market, then it really will spell doom for them as a major player. Thus surface is where they're placing all their chips. Get surfaces into the enterprise and then people start switching at home.

To be sure, the PC was was won by Microsoft because of the enterprise, not the other way around. I believe that is their end game. Establish a presence in the enterprise with a mobile/tablet option while showing off exciting gadgets like Hololens and you'll soon have people considering their market. If the Surface phone should spark some excitement, carriers like V will want to get on board. But the spark has to be there.
    11-07-2015 11:32 PM
    I just noticed that Verizon's band 13 was added to the specs of the Lumia 950...

microsoft.com/en-us/mobile/phone/lumia950/specifications/

Cellular connectivity2
    GSM network: 850 MHz, 900 MHz, 1800 MHz, 1900 MHz
    GSM max data speed DL: EGPRS 236.8 kbps
    GSM max data speed UL: EGPRS 118.4 kbps
    WCDMA network: Band 1 (2100 MHz), Band 2 (1900 MHz), Band 4 (1700/2100 MHz), Band 5 (850 MHz), Band 8 (900 MHz)
    WCDMA max data speed DL: 42.2 Mbps (Cat 24)
    WCDMA max data speed UL: 5.76 Mbps (Cat 6)
    LTE FDD network: Band 1 (2100 MHz), Band 2 (1900 MHz), Band 3 (1800 MHz), Band 4 (1700/2100 MHz), Band 5 (850MHz), Band 7 (2600 MHz), Band 8 (900MHz), Band 12 (700 MHz), Band 13 (700MHz), Band 20 (800MHz), Band 28 (700 MHz)
    LTE max data speed DL: 450 Mbps (Cat 9)
    LTE max data speed UL: 50 Mbps (Cat 6)
    mikefarinha and Polychrome like this.
    11-19-2015 02:27 PM
    Interesting, very interesting. If going to a Microsoft store didn't involve driving to the next state, I'd go check it out.

Keep in mind that getting this working on voice may require a SIM provisioned with VoLTE ahead of time (such as one for a Lancet or 735), as I still think CDMA support is missing from the device, and signal may not be as good in rural areas.
    aximtreo likes this.
    11-29-2015 06:52 AM
    What this all comes down to is Microsoft could have included CDMA support on these phones. They didn't. While Verizon isn't the best partner for WP, obviously, there was still no reason to not include CDMA in the phone for the fans, since that's who this phone is geared towards.

Carriers have even come out stating MSFT didn't even approach them. T-Mobile did it. At least those on that platform can still use the phone though. Verizon has come out now too and said they were never even approached about the phone.
    dkediger likes this.
    12-03-2015 01:29 PM
    What this all comes down to is Microsoft could have included CDMA support on these phones. They didn't. While Verizon isn't the best partner for WP, obviously, there was still no reason to not include CDMA in the phone for the fans, since that's who this phone is geared towards.
    Especially when you consider that there is close to 100 carriers worldwide that use CDMA2000 for their 3G voice and text networks. By not including CDMA, Microsoft excluded millions of potential customers.

If Motorola can do it with the Moto X Pure, why can't Microsoft?

The greatest irony is that the Icon can connect to more voice and data networks worldwide than the 950/950XL, and that is a phone that is coming up on being around for almost 2 years. It can even connect to more networks worldwide than the 930. All because CDMA was included.
    12-05-2015 03:37 AM
    While Verizon isn't the best partner for WP, obviously, there was still no reason to not include CDMA in the phone for the fans, since that's who this phone is geared towards.
    Especially when you consider that there is close to 100 carriers worldwide that use CDMA2000 for their 3G voice and text networks. By not including CDMA, Microsoft excluded millions of potential customers.

If Motorola can do it with the Moto X Pure, why can't Microsoft?

The greatest irony is that the Icon can connect to more voice and data networks worldwide than the 950/950XL, and that is a phone that is coming up on being around for almost 2 years. It can even connect to more networks worldwide than the 930. All because CDMA was included.
    Both of these are spot on - and why I've been terming the lack of CDMA inclusion an existential crisis for Microsoft in terms of mobile. They can't honestly talk about being committed to mobile, they can't honestly serenade Apple, and not look foolish for this.

If its intentional, in order to reward or alternately punish a carrier, its a giant WTF that stands out like a sore thumb contrasted to the new "kinder, gentler" Microsoft. Want to impress me as a customer - go serenade Verizon. Until then, they've thrown a lot of good customers, fans, overboard and their continued silence on the matter is deafening. Say something, anything. Let us as customers go in peace or give us something solid to hang on to. A product roadmap, a commitment it'll be on the Surface phone, or a statement that it not's going to happen no way, no how. One or the other - just anything.

If its an oversight, you're Microsoft by God. One of the largest and best capitalized tech companies there is. This isn't a resource problem from a money standpoint. Bing and Xbox and Surface and countless other products - Office even going way back - attest to that. The old saying that it costs far less to keep good customers than it does to earn new ones is more true in the tech industry than probably any other segment. Again - managing complex projects/products is their forte. Letting Mobile languish just because of, well, "its hard," is not what they've been. Its not what customers and decision makers like to see. It doesn't inspire confidence that they can do better.

At some point they either have to really do it and get it done and prove to everyone that they can do it, or they, well, don't. There are countless motivational sayings that encapsulate that idea, some cruder than others. I'll stick with these two:

"The future is now."
    "Do or do not, there is no try."
    Last edited by dkediger; 12-08-2015 at 10:56 AM.
    12-08-2015 10:41 AM
    Couldn't have said it better myself.

Also, I'm sad that the other thread on this subject was closed.

Linky
    dkediger and Williaml99 like this.
    12-08-2015 11:49 AM
    Yeah - I'm afraid this topic in the larger picture will just get pushed to the bottom and written off as being Microsoft and Verizon just being Microsoft and Verizon. I think it does need to be kept to the fore - if for no other reason as to get Microsoft to officially say something. It does impact us as users - individually and as businesses - which means it impacts Microsoft. They want me to commit time and effort to imagining and integrating Windows 10 into my business enterprise and personal life, but deny me access to a leg of that stool: Mobile. They're also denying 100% of the other businesses where I live/work, as ATT barely has outdoor signal, let alone indoor.

Its just baffling overall. Some of it makes sense in bits and pieces, but when you consider the whole it just "what in the wide world of sports...."
    12-08-2015 12:20 PM
    I guess now we start crossing our fingers for the next flagship. But I won't hold my breath.
    12-08-2015 01:29 PM
    There is the Surface Phone. Supposedly, that will be geared more towards enterprise users; which, historically, Microsoft has been very good at. There is a reason why Windows is the most used desktop/laptop OS and Office is the most used productivity suite. Bill Gates understood that to get into homes, he needed to get into the enterprise first. The Microsoft Office HUP has been, and still is a resounding success. Getting the SP3 (and now SP4) into enterprise hands has also helped (from what I gather the deal with the NFL is a success). So why not try the enterprise model with a phone? As more people use a Windows mobile device for work, Microsoft will start getting more (and better) feedback for improvements and added features. Eventually, it becomes a snow ball and people will start wanting to use one for both personal and business use.

This will get more devices into peoples' hands and because of that, there will be a higher demand for more of the quality apps that Android and iPhone users enjoy. Eventually, it will become a self-licking ice cream cone.

Microsoft just has to make sure the phone is carrier agnostic like the Moto X Pure.
    12-09-2015 01:10 PM
    I have a confession. I just went to the Dark Side a few days ago. I got an iPhone 6s Plus. Microsoft let me down by not including CDMA in the 950/950XL, and I got tired of my M9 being temperamental.

There are some things I do miss. Namely, reading texts over BT and the excellent camera. I just got tired of Android's jerkiness and having to restart my phone two or even three times a day.

It's not goodbye Microsoft though. I am NOT going to dump my SP3 or desktop for an iPad and a Mac. It's more of I'll be back...
    dkediger likes this.
    12-23-2015 02:54 PM
    I did the same two weeks ago. Went with a Droid Turbo 2 via Motomaker. Getting reacquainted with Android's idiosyncracies and going to lengths to Micrsoft-ize it as much as I can. Biggest problem there is finding a nice looking calendar widget that syncs with Outlook.com natively. I don't want to reverse my email flow back to gmail to make it all work. I went with Android as I had been there prior to my 928, and I didn't want to establish identity in a thrid platform.

Likewise, I'll still remain around here. My profession is Microsoft-centric. One of my self-directed focus' this year is studying untethering our front end sales floor from their desktops and desk phones. Microsoft could have made this a hell of a lot more interesting by making the phones CDMA compatible/certified. Its pretty evident there won't be anything of note in the Verizon/WP/Microsoft arena for months to come and I really don't have much hope they'll do right with the Surface phone either.
    12-24-2015 10:05 AM
    I don't want to reverse my email flow back to gmail to make it all work. I went with Android as I had been there prior to my 928, and I didn't want to establish identity in a thrid platform
    I believe that Outlook has a widget. But...yeah, I know how you feel when I went back to Android for a short time.

I had no problem "Microsoftizing" my iPhone. My Gmail has been forwarded to Outlook for years (since my 928 days). I use Outlook and I get all of my calendar notifications no problems and iCloud synchs with Outlook 2016 nicely. I also have no problems with OneNote or any other Microsoft app (I wish Hyperlapse was available though). I miss widgets...but really not all that much. What I do miss is Live Tiles though. Once you actually use them, you don't realize how useful they are until you have a phone that doesn't have them.

I wasn't worried about being in a 3rd ecosystem. I already had an iPod touch and classic, so it was not that hard.
    12-24-2015 01:54 PM
    I believe that Outlook has a widget. But...yeah, I know how you feel when I went back to Android for a short time.

I had no problem "Microsoftizing" my iPhone. My Gmail has been forwarded to Outlook for years (since my 928 days). I use Outlook and I get all of my calendar notifications no problems and iCloud synchs with Outlook 2016 nicely. I also have no problems with OneNote or any other Microsoft app (I wish Hyperlapse was available though). I miss widgets...but really not all that much. What I do miss is Live Tiles though. Once you actually use them, you don't realize how useful they are until you have a phone that doesn't have them.

I wasn't worried about being in a 3rd ecosystem. I already had an iPod touch and classic, so it was not that hard.
    Hyperlapse is available for Android. https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...perlapsemobile
    12-24-2015 02:08 PM

Outlook for mail is nice, and the in app calendar is worthy as well. It has a day agenda widget, but not one for an expanded week or month view. And it needs some, umm, visual design help. Unless you're a fan of solid white. I'm not - I like the transparent look. I did find DigiCal - it has a fully customizable widget and works with Outlook.com

The dedicated search button is what I'm finding I miss the most. Partly its just muscle memory to hit the bottom right button, but there is also a great degree of utility in Microsoft's button layout. Having the power and volume buttons reversed is fun at times as well.

While there are several nice looking WP tile look launchers, I'm trying a more Android route first. I am using Microsoft Garage's Arrow launcher, which I'm finding to be pretty efficient. It at least offers an ordered app list with jump letters on the side. You forget how horrid the Android app tray is.

And I still have my Icon for WiFi use to keep a foot remaining in WP...

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android
    12-24-2015 08:16 PM
    Hyperlapse is available for Android. https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...perlapsemobile
    Yes. But not for iOS.
    12-25-2015 01:41 AM
    I'm sensitive to the fact that AT&T has been a loyal partner for MS, but since I live in an area with no AT&T coverage, I'm forced to either Verizon or US Cellular. Currently I'm using an M8 on Verizon, and its working fine, but there are few upgrade options, particularly for power users. Hopefully by the time I'm ready to upgrade, MS and Verizon will have patched things up! (probably a forlorn hope)
    12-30-2015 01:21 PM
    AT&T has been a loyal partner for MS(probably a forlorn hope)
    Anytime someone says this, I cringe a bit. AT&T hasn't been a loyal partner for MS. Just read some of the horror stories of customers that were steered towards iPhone or Android when they went to purchase the new Lumia's in an AT&T store. Which begs the question, why did MS only partner with them when other carriers could show the same lack of support as AT&T.....
    Williaml99 and Kevin Rush like this.
    12-30-2015 05:58 PM
    Which begs the question, why did MS only partner with them when other carriers could show the same lack of support as AT&T.....
    That partnership was put in place prior to Microsoft buying Nokia's mobile device division. Back when Elop was Nokia's CEO.

Many of the problems that Microsoft is experiencing now (with Verizon and other carries) stem from when Balmer was in charge of Microsoft and Elop was in charge of Nokia.
    01-01-2016 05:59 PM
    And then there were two....
    LG Lancet and Lumia 725

HTC M8....r.i.p.

Windows Smartphones - Verizon Wireless
    04-11-2016 12:02 PM
    Yeah... my step-son wanted to get away from Android because he was tired of getting infected. He is definitely NOT techno-friendly, so simple is what he needs, and he didn't want to fork out for an iPhone, so I steered him to the M8. Found it on Amazon, thankfully. A refurb for something like $160 or $170.
    Kevin Rush and RumoredNow like this.
    04-12-2016 10:16 AM
247 ... 8910