04-12-2016 10:16 AM
247 ... 78910
tools
    Yes really... The Icon is GSM capable. It works very well on both AT&T's and T-Mobile's GSM networks. It doesn't work on their respective LTE networks though. There are a few threads over in the Icon forum that talk about it. The issue they have is getting MMS to work. Though, several people have managed to get that to work as well.

And for the record, there are people who have even managed to get the Icon to work on AT&T's LTE network. Those are few and far between though. They happen to live in an area where AT&T's LTE network works in the bands that the Icon is compatible with.
    Doctor_Who likes this.
    08-25-2015 09:08 PM

Well there's that.
    Doctor_Who and maevinj like this.
    09-12-2015 12:40 PM
    The northeast doesn't see much difference between AT&T and Verizon. If Verizon doesn't carry the flagship Lumias I will be switching to AT&T. If Verizon wants my business they have to give me what I want, not what they want.
    libra89 and Doctor_Who like this.
    09-17-2015 08:46 PM
    There is no AT&T in southeast Iowa so if Verizon wont support them I guess I'll be getting some more miles out of my ATIV-SE. Maybe it will get windows 10 some year but it wont the flagship experience. This carrier thing stinks. We will wait and see.
    09-18-2015 12:19 AM
    The northeast doesn't see much difference between AT&T and Verizon. If Verizon doesn't carry the flagship Lumias I will be switching to AT&T. If Verizon wants my business they have to give me what I want, not what they want.
    I like your attitude!
    jimh0 likes this.
    09-19-2015 09:17 PM
    I am in the same boat as many others, Verizon has the best coverage in my area but if they don't carry the 950 or 950xl, I will have to consider keeping my 928 with w10m and hope that pressure mints and they carry the devices. Or wait till the rumors Intel based phone comes out and hope again
    horseybob and Doctor_Who like this.
    09-25-2015 07:28 PM
    Here's hoping that Verizon picks up the 950 series as well. I actually hope Microsoft does what Motorola is doing now with their Moto X Pure / Style models, by selling units with every radio protocol used and go direct to customers.
    09-25-2015 07:34 PM
    I like others have said have been holding off on updating waiting patiently for these new phones. I am on a family plan and the other phones on the plan aren't up. I am basically stuck on Verizon but can't see myself getting an Android phone, Iphone is out of the question. I really don't know at this point what I am going to do.
    Maybe one of the other carriers will pay the EFT?
    09-26-2015 02:43 PM
    " I would like to see Microsoft offer this kind of direct, carrier-less payment plan for its own plans, and hopefully the new Lumias will be similarly unlocked and provide universal cellular radios. (Ive heard that they will.)" - Paul Thurrott. The key to that quote is universal cellular radios (including universal LTE). Buy the phone from MS and it works anywhere in the world and on any carrier. Let's hope the rumors are true!
    Last edited by Mark Morales; 09-26-2015 at 03:41 PM. Reason: correction
    kwright62 likes this.
    09-26-2015 03:36 PM
    " I would like to see Microsoft offer this kind of direct, carrier-less payment plan for its own plans, and hopefully the new Lumias will be similarly unlocked and provide universal cellular radios. (I’ve heard that they will.)" - Paul Thurrott. The key to that quote is universal cellular radios (including universal LTE). Buy the phone from MS and it works anywhere in the world and on any carrier. Let's hope the rumors are true!
    Is there a Paul Thurrott article?
    09-26-2015 04:43 PM
    Yes it was today an article titled "A Few Thoughts About the New iPhones." read about half way down for this quote: " I would like to see Microsoft offer this kind of direct, carrier-less payment plan for its own plans, and hopefully the new Lumias will be similarly unlocked and provide universal cellular radios. (I’ve heard that they will.)" - Paul Thurrott.
    09-26-2015 05:15 PM
    I know it's an article on the new iPhones but Paul seems to have heard that rumor too that the new Lumias may be sold unlocked by MS directly with universal radios (GSM & CDMA) and universal LTE bands. This would be awesome as it could be used on any carrier anywhere. I've seen the rumor somewhere else to but also that we may not see a true universal phone until the rumored Surface Phone next year.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    09-26-2015 05:21 PM
    Hope like hell they don't!!!
    Hated my 929 with all that Verizon bloatware. Make the new 950's work with Verizon and I will buy it straight from MS and put in my Verizon Sim
    09-27-2015 12:11 AM
    All I know is this! If the phone doesn't release on Verizon, then I may for the first time in 10 years, switch carriers!
    09-27-2015 03:45 AM
    I am in the same boat as many others, Verizon has the best coverage in my area but if they don't carry the 950 or 950xl, I will have to consider keeping my 928 with w10m and hope that pressure mints and they carry the devices. Or wait till the rumors Intel based phone comes out and hope again
    What's this about an Intel based phone? I've not heard anything about that.
    09-27-2015 08:34 PM
    All I know is this! If the phone doesn't release on Verizon, then I may for the first time in 10 years, switch carriers!
    I know exactly what you're saying. We've been with Verizon for 10+ years. Mainly because in our area they have the best coverage. But Verizon is getting increasingly antagonistic towards Windows Phone. Frankly I think they'd bury the iPhone, except that its too big. With Verizon, its Android or nothing. I believe its that way because it gives them the most control.
    09-27-2015 08:37 PM
    Hated my 929 with all that Verizon bloatware. Make the new 950's work with Verizon and I will buy it straight from MS and put in my Verizon Sim
    What is this bloatware you speak of? Mine had a few installed programs that were easy to uninstall.
    09-28-2015 07:54 AM
    Will we know on Tues Oct 6th whether or not Verizon will be getting the 950/950XL?
    Doctor_Who likes this.
    09-30-2015 02:49 PM
    What bloatware? I don't think you know what Bloatware is? There's like 5 apps that can all be uninstalled in less than 20 secs and that do not slow down your phone.
    maevinj likes this.
    09-30-2015 02:59 PM
    As a manager for a Verizon retailer, here's my perspective:

It's VERY likely Verizon won't give two *you-know-whats* about Microsoft. They don't really need Windows Phone to make money. The only reason they would potentially want to get close with Microsoft is if Apple and Samsung flex their muscle too much. Verizon can't bow to Apple and Samsung too much, or else their whole business is controlled by these other companies.

Currently, Apple holds a lot of power over carriers, because they know that without Apple, their business is in trouble. For example, Apple has special rules. The iPhone CANNOT be displayed next to another type of phone. There can be NO color around the display, including Verizon red on the pricing card and other stuff directly next to the phone. Funny enough, the iPhone and iPad cannot also be displayed next to each other. Apple feels the iPad and iPhone sell better when they are not next to each other, but spread out. And Verizon gives in to this. They practically have to.

Thankfully, Samsung doesn't have crazy rules like this, for the most part. But it is scary to Verizon to have to do what these large companies say. By giving power to a 3rd company, Microsoft, it takes the reliance on Apple and Samsung.

However, if Microsoft can't sell phones, it's a waste for Verizon to put any eggs into a basket that won't benefit them. It's just a financial loss, which is the bottom line. Does this make Verizon money? No? Ditch it.

This is the chicken-or-the-egg debate. If Microsoft did a better job with Windows Phone and made it super popular, Verizon would love to support them and sell their phones. But if Verizon doesn't want to put any skin in the game and promote, help sell, display phones, etc., then phones won't sell, either.

With past attempts at supporting Windows Phone going sour, Verizon is probably more likely to give their support to another Android manufacturer like Motorola. The Droid line sells really well. You might not hear about it, but trust me, the Droid Turbo sells like hotcakes (whatever that saying means). It's a fantastic price with comparable specs to the GS6 (maybe not as good of a camera, but definitely better than average Android phones, plus 2-3 days of battery is phenomenal!). Not only is the Droid line getting really good in the past year, it's also exclusive to Verizon. That's a winner. We know how much Verizon loves exclusive stuff. This is a safer bet for them. With the Droid Turbo 2 and Droid Maxx 2 coming later this year, Verizon probably care more about Motorola than Microsoft at the moment.

But I could be 10000% wrong. Just an observation. I started working at Verizon about 1.2 years ago with the hope that I'd open people's minds more to Windows Phone. Not force them away from what they love, but at least get them intrigued and perceiving Windows Phone in a better light and being more open.

I wouldn't say I'm pessimistic now, but it's tough to convince people that are already so invested in iOS or Android. And I can't blame them. It's hard to teach an old dog new tricks. The best thing Microsoft can do to get Verizon reps to sell Windows Phones more, is to get Verizon to beef up commission on their phones. It works.

Apple products pay out the lowest commission (Apple has this thing about the iPhone sells itself, no one needs to talk it up). Android phones have great commission. Windows Phones have similar commission. If there was a monetary incentive to employees, and proper training, not just a stupid Flash video once a year, maybe reps would push it more (if the stores even bother stocking Windows Phones, which many don't anymore).

Sorry for the rambling. Thanks for reading, guys. Just needed to vent a bit.
    10-04-2015 07:19 PM
    Thank you Dustin for sharing. Its interesting to read this from someone "on the inside". I'm definitely on the outside. I'd like to encourage Verizon to sell Windows Phones more by beefing up commissions on selling the phones, but I've no influence in that area.
    10-04-2015 08:52 PM
    Two perfect storms have been brewing. The "app gap*" on Windows Mobile and this, the "Verizon Debacle". I told myself, if just one of them subsided it would be fine.

*an app gap to me is a lack of my bank, my credit card, my local news stations, my local grocer, local news channels, my cable (Comcast/Xfinity) company.

On one hand, if the "app gap" continued (I don't expect all my universal apps overnight) but Verizon got either of the two 950 series phones, I'd stick with Windows Phone and tough it out as I waited for the apps to fill in.

Then again, if the "app gap" showed some signs of fading (yeah I know it's still a little early) but Verizon didn't get either of the 950 series phones I'd jump ship and say good bye to Verizon.

However, neither seem to be abating. Here I am paying good money and not enjoying my phone the way I should. Don't get my wrong I love the OS and everything about it but when will developers see the potential of the untapped market?

In the past 4 years I have introduced two people to Windows Phones. Both either converted back to iOS or to Android because they couldn't use the apps previously enjoyed or that everyone else was using.

I still have my Icon and soon the Preview for Developers will be out for Windows 10, so I'll stick it out a bit longer. Regardless, I've already started to try and figure out my options and how I'll save face if people were to see me on a *gulp* non Windows Phone.

Until that fast approaching day arrives I'm holding out hope for some kind of miracle or even just a semi-abatement of both storms.

However, I highly doubt it. I know how things work for me. Seriously, I drive a VW with a diesel engine so I'm sure I'll have to settle here too.
    10-06-2015 09:03 PM
    Another one from the Verizon side. As usual, my opinions don't equal the company's or whatever, but I can give some insight.

There's no active "dislike" or hatred or anything of the sort of Windows Phones within the company. Heck, there's a few WP fangirls at my call center, myself obviously included.

The software and network is what it is. CDMA is what got Verizon to the network reliability that they enjoy today, and it is what made AT&T lag behind us in signal and usability for so many years. They pride themselves on that reliability and they do not want the possibility of a rogue software update causing mass problems.

Now, before people jump on me with examples on what has or has not happened on other phones, I will not say that it has never happened. Nor will I say that I always agree on the heavy software testing standards. However they are consistent in how they treat the manufacturers on the subject if nothing else. I have observed this occurring in every phone from the Samsung Galaxy line to the Blackberry Storm. The androids are treated with very strict standards. Sometimes they make you wait 2 or 3 software versions. I think, if anything, Verizon would rather not have a "Lollipop" situation on a daily basis where the reps spend all day trying to convince the customers that it's time to hard reset their phones because their apps didn't like that update. Apple? Well, if nothing else, they are extremely good about planning ahead. The reason their updates appear so "quick" is they get them certified months in advance.

And the windows 10 update? If my installing it on my Icon is any indicator, it's a lollipop waiting to happen.

So what should we expect in the future?

First off, I'd like to mention that if the phone has the right tech built in, there's nothing preventing a user from activating it. Our billing system may not recognize the phone, but if it supports the technologies on the sim, go nuts. You will have to insert your sim into a device VZW recognizes to perform plan changes on your own however. With that said, there was nothing stopping Microsoft from pulling a Google and making a device which supported the network without getting Verizon's strict approval. Nothing. (Which means the new devices likely won't support Sprint either.)

Second, just because Microsoft isn't continuing with Verizon devices does not stop companies like HTC or LG (that's a new one) from jumping in with their own windows phones, and rumors I've heard are suggesting exactly that. And quite frankly, I like HTC. I wouldn't mind my Icon being replaced by a windows version of the M9 or something. This is the position that Paul Thurrott should have taken...that Microsoft's phones are not the only windows phones on the block, and that there may be opportunities opening in the future. A company should NEVER be the one spreading FUD. Shame on him.

And third, Verizon is currently working on transitioning to an entirely VoLTE voice and data network, but such things take time. Lots of time. Once VoLTE is the norm rather than a nerd toy, you'll start seeing more "universal" devices that work on Verizon. For what it's worth, both of the recent VZW windows phones, despite being modest in size, support VoLTE.

Also, if T-Mobile has anything to say on the matter, it wasn't Verizon doing the snubbing:

Microsoft Doesn't Really Want to Sell Windows Phones in the U.S. | Sascha Segan | PCMag.com

Sources weigh in on limited US carrier interest in Microsoft?s new Lumia 950 phones | Pocketnow

New Lumias continue Windows Phone?s frustrating carrier situation | Ars Technica

It's sounding like the real situation is that there is a vague exclusivity deal going on. As the last article explains, google could do it, so there's no reason Microsoft couldn't too. There have been many, MANY cooked ROMs on the Android side that have made it work as well. (Sometimes with bugs or issues, but once again, that's what the strict software testing standards are about.) Contrary to the belief I've seen around here, there's no VZW-exclusive magic fairy dust that makes CDMA work, and other countries with CDMA networks (such as Asian countries) have used SIM cards on them for years. If apple can do it, if google can do it, if kiddie programmers in their mom's basement can do it, so can Microsoft.
    85daytona likes this.
    10-13-2015 02:41 PM
    Hello,
    I'm wondering what the specs for "cellular connectivity" mean for the "Lumia 950 Dual SIM" on Microsoft's website, relative to that particular model working on Verizon's CDMA & LTE networks. Any legitimate feedback from either Verizon employees or genuinely knowledgeable technical types will be appreciated.
    Thank you

MS webpage: www_microsoft_com/en/mobile/phone/lumia950-dual-sim/specifications/#head_connectivity (NOTE: I can't post links yet, so you'll have to substitute the underscore characters with periods)
    microsoft-lumia-950-dual-sim_cellular-connectivity-specs_2015-10-13.jpg
    10-13-2015 09:45 PM
    Just going by your post...Well, it has the right LTE bands. I'd give it a HUGE maybe assuming it supported VoLTE. Just remember WCDMA is not the same CDMA that VZW uses for their 1X voice network, so even if VoLTE is supported, your voice coverage may not be as good...yet. Also you'll have to activate VoLTE while your SIM is in a VZW phone.

I'd say that if you're trying to hunt down a dual sim device that handles CDMA, a Chinese phone is probably your best bet. That said, can't really think of any brands I'd push you toward. :P

On a side note, they've been trying to add some non-vzw models of phones that are known to support VZW's frequencies to our device database so that you'll have less trouble self-provisioning them, but there's not a lot there yet.
    10-14-2015 01:52 PM
247 ... 78910