The Verizon Debacle

final_fantasy781

Mar 17, 2014
Visit site
That makes a lot of sense, Gernerttl. While that sounds good to you, it doesn't sound good to most consumers. We just see Verizon's choices guided by hate and dislike.

dkediger

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
I think I've come to terms with Vzw/MS' way forward, but the part I'm going to really miss is wireless charging. Once you've integrated it into your routine and work/living spaces, its going to be a mess going back. Would really like to see more OEMs support this.

First world problems, I know....

odin09

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
I think I've come to terms with Vzw/MS' way forward, but the part I'm going to really miss is wireless charging. Once you've integrated it into your routine and work/living spaces, its going to be a mess going back. Would really like to see more OEMs support this.

I am with you. I am somewhat resigned to my next phone being an LG or HTC but it will be painful putting my wireless charging plates away in a closet somewhere. I have gotten so used to just placing the phone down. Even worse than that will be saying goodbye to my physical shutter button. That is the thing that could lead me to say screw my finances and buy an unlocked Lumia if the rumors are correct with them being compatible with Verizon.

Tim Stone

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site
"Verizon is going to do what is best for Verizon and it's customer base." This is where we disagree.

A lot of people are very upset with our local store. The manager told me candidly "We don't care if they leave. We get lots of new customers, and the ones who leave will get tired of dropped calls or weaker cell signals and come back." He candidly expresses that attitude to a lot of people who have shared it on social media, and get a lot of Amens. The formula is not about customers, it's simply about profits and bonuses.

I never speculated about the negative attitude by Verizon toward Microsoft. I was told that by a senior corporate staff member. In later discussions I have mentioned that to other higher level staff, and never once has anyone suggested otherwise. You might look at the sales notes on Windows phones. They are on the rise in all other countries, especially when carriers actually market them.

As for the consumer responsibility, I have had people go into the store and tell them exactly what they want ( ie. a Lumia Icon ), but if you look at the boxes, they only have the numbers on there. More than once, they have come back to me with the new phone, said it looked different, but the salesperson insisted that was what they were asking for. When I pointed out it was an Android phone, they would take it back but be charged a 20% restocking fee. This stuff is too ridiculous to make up, and I only share what I have actually witnessed, never a story I saw posted somewhere.

Finally, remember that the majority of phone users are "consumers". They are not educated technical people, but rather individuals who have a need and go into the store to seek advice on which offering best meets that need. While you are waiting your turn in a busy store, actually watch what takes place. I have seen customers come in and try to share their specific needs, only to be told "This is the phone that is the most popular right now" and then comes the push toward something that may well be inappropriate. Those of us who do understand technology and know where to look, need to remember that a lot of people out there simply don't have the same background. That is why they seek assistance in a store, believing ( as it used to be ), that someone will actually help them find the right device for their needs. For those of us who remember the days when stores actually could match products to customers consider that passing sad.

GreenScrew

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
I am with you. I am somewhat resigned to my next phone being an LG or HTC but it will be painful putting my wireless charging plates away in a closet somewhere. I have gotten so used to just placing the phone down. Even worse than that will be saying goodbye to my physical shutter button. That is the thing that could lead me to say screw my finances and buy an unlocked Lumia if the rumors are correct with them being compatible with Verizon.
And I'm with you. Been kicking around using the "every two" upgrades that I've been sitting on to get a couple iPhones and reselling them to get the value out of the subsidized phone plan. Having upgrades available and being used is really a waste of money.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site

Yeah. I've thought of that too. Just so you know, the LG G4 has a removable battery, and for approx. $10 you can add a Qi wireless charging coil. I did this with my wife's old GS3 and it worked really well. You can also get a wireless charging case for $40. So you are not really without options.

How to add wireless charging to any LG G4 for just $10

My two concerns with the G4 is the button placement and screen size. I'm so used to having them on the sides. I prefer 5" screen. The LG's is 5.5"...though if all other things being equal, I could learn to live with the larger screen and different button placement. They are concerns, but not necessarily deal beakers.

BigPete7978

Jun 17, 2014
Visit site
Hoping it comes to Verizon, AT&T service is horrible where I live, so me and the wife were thinking about switching to another carrier. Maybe Sprint? Never had them before, only been on Verizon and AT&T.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
"Verizon is going to do what is best for Verizon and it's customer base." This is where we disagree.

A lot of people are very upset with our local store. The manager told me candidly "We don't care if they leave. We get lots of new customers, and the ones who leave will get tired of dropped calls or weaker cell signals and come back." He candidly expresses that attitude to a lot of people who have shared it on social media, and get a lot of Amens. The formula is not about customers, it's simply about profits and bonuses.

That manager is a LOCAL store manager; and his focus is selling wireless services for Verizon. It is NOT to sell Microsoft, LG, HTC, Apple, or Samsung products. He really could care less if somebody buys a Android, iPhone, or Windows device.

Both Verizon and Microsoft are businesses, and to successfully run a business, you need to make a profit. That is what is all about. It's called capitalism and free market.

As far as that store manager goes, complain about it via Verizon's customer service feedback. If Verizon gets enough negative feedback pertaining to that particular store manager, then they will say something. Because, based on what you are saying, he isn't following Verizon's stated customer service policy.

Customer Satisfaction | Verizon Wireless

I've never had a problem with Verizon sales reps or store managers in any store I've been in. Nor have I witnessed it in any of those same stores.

I never speculated about the negative attitude by Verizon toward Microsoft. I was told that by a senior corporate staff member. In later discussions I have mentioned that to other higher level staff, and never once has anyone suggested otherwise. You might look at the sales notes on Windows phones. They are on the rise in all other countries, especially when carriers actually market them.

Verizon isn't competing on a global scale. So, it's irrelevant, as far as Verizon is concerned, how well devices sell in other countries. Like I said previously, Verizon's focus is selling its wireless (as well as other) services. It doesn't make much profit on the device. Its profits come from selling the service, whether it is a two-year contract, or pay as you go. A person who buys two iPhones with a 10GB family share plan is paying the same amount as a person who buys two Lumia Icons (or two Samsung's) with the same 10GB family share plan.

It is ultimately, the manufacturer's responsibility to market its goods, not Verizon's (or any other carrier's for that matter). If you watch the iPhone, Galaxy S6, and LG G4 ads, you will notice that they are almost all identical. The difference is in one commercial it will mention Verizon, in another it will mention AT&T, and in another Sprint, etc. The Lumia Icon commercials were put together by Microsoft, NOT Verizon. Had the Lumia Icon been offered on the other carriers, you would have seen the same commercial except with those other carriers logos at the end.

As for the consumer responsibility, I have had people go into the store and tell them exactly what they want ( ie. a Lumia Icon ), but if you look at the boxes, they only have the numbers on there. More than once, they have come back to me with the new phone, said it looked different, but the salesperson insisted that was what they were asking for. When I pointed out it was an Android phone, they would take it back but be charged a 20% restocking fee. This stuff is too ridiculous to make up, and I only share what I have actually witnessed, never a story I saw posted somewhere.

You just made my point. Those customers went in to the store without doing ANY research. Therefore, it is the customers fault for not ensuring they got what they asked for. You are correct though. The box doesn't say "Nokia or Lumia Icon." But the user manual inside DOES. The sales rep had to open the box to ensure everything was in it (i.e. phone, MANUAL, charging cable, etc.), and to activate the phone, so again, it is the buyer's fault for not double checking and not doing the research.

Finally, remember that the majority of phone users are "consumers". They are not educated technical people, but rather individuals who have a need and go into the store to seek advice on which offering best meets that need. While you are waiting your turn in a busy store, actually watch what takes place. I have seen customers come in and try to share their specific needs, only to be told "This is the phone that is the most popular right now" and then comes the push toward something that may well be inappropriate. Those of us who do understand technology and know where to look, need to remember that a lot of people out there simply don't have the same background. That is why they seek assistance in a store, believing ( as it used to be ), that someone will actually help them find the right device for their needs. For those of us who remember the days when stores actually could match products to customers consider that passing sad.

Not being and "educate technical person" is no excuse. Again, it's about doing a little research. We have this little thing called the internet. Furthermore, I bet if those same people were buying a car they would do some research. Other than cost, what is the difference between buying a smartphone, or buying a computer, car, or any other relatively expensive item? There isn't. It all boils down to personal responsibility and taking the initiative to do your own research. Yes, advice from friends should be weighed and considered, but it doesn't replace doing a little research yourself.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Hoping it comes to Verizon, AT&T service is horrible where I live, so me and the wife were thinking about switching to another carrier. Maybe Sprint? Never had them before, only been on Verizon and AT&T.

Oh don't go to Sprint! You would better off going to AT&T. You can also check to see what MVNO's are in your area. A MNVO is a wireless provider that rents or leases its spectrum from one of the carriers; Cricket, Straight Talk, and Net10 are good examples.

They may have the coverage you need and they all (or at least most of them) are BYOD friendly.

Here is a list of MNVOs and whos spectrum they lease or rent.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_mobile_virtual_network_operators

BigPete7978

Jun 17, 2014
Visit site
Oh don't go to Sprint! You would better off going to AT&T. You can also check to see what MVNO's are in your area. A MNVO is a wireless provider that rents or leases its spectrum from one of the carriers; Cricket, Straight Talk, and Net10 are good examples.

They may have the coverage you need and they all (or at least most of them) are BYOD friendly.

Here is a list of MNVOs and whos spectrum they lease or rent.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_mobile_virtual_network_operators
Currently have AT&T and the service is horrible sometimes. Verizon is the best carrier around here by far.

shloime

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Didn't somebody say that cityman will have the radios to work with all carriers? Motorola just came out with a phone like that: the moto x . If that's the case, we'll buy it straight from Microsoft and it will work perfectly fine on Verizon

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Didn't somebody say that cityman will have the radios to work with all carriers? Motorola just came out with a phone like that: the moto x . If that's the case, we'll buy it straight from Microsoft and it will work perfectly fine on Verizon

Yes. Mr. MacPhisto did. Yes, that would be in everybody's best interest. Not just Microsoft's either. We will benefit and Verizon will benefit too.

espete

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site
Just a reminder that if you are out of contact you get a month to month discount. More Everything plans with 4 GB or under can get a $15 a month discount and plans with 6 GB and over can get a $25 discount. 6 of my 10 lines are out of contract and are getting the $25 discount. Saving $150 off my bill monthly. You just have to log into your account and add the feature. I'm not sure where it was anymore, either under products & apps our under My Plan. There is a button you click and it will tell you what lines are able to be discounted.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Just a reminder that if you are out of contact you get a month to month discount. More Everything plans with 4 GB or under can get a $15 a month discount and plans with 6 GB and over can get a $25 discount. 6 of my 10 lines are out of contract and are getting the $25 discount. Saving $150 off my bill monthly. You just have to log into your account and add the feature. I'm not sure where it was anymore, either under products & apps our under My Plan. There is a button you click and it will tell you what lines are able to be discounted.

I'm saving $60/month. I only have one line that is not month to month and that will change in a couple months.

P.S. And a 15% military/veteran's discount.

Last edited:

Gunbust3r

Jan 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm just curious to see if the 950's will get the Verizon "treatment" It's like they did things just to see how far they could push MS/Nokia for fun.

1: Are the corners square? Make a custom model for us with round.
2: Are the corners round? Make a custom model for us with square.
3: Rip out standard visual voicemail. We have a craptastic app and $3/month charge for that.
4: Lets see how big we can make our gumpy check mark logo on the phone.
5: Sabotage MMS if you try to use the handset on another carrier. Laugh at the FCC
6: First class ticket to the back of any retail store display, make sure even blackberry has better placement.
7: Don't sell the handset in retail at all.
8: Software updates? haha "Coming Soon?"

to_be_announced

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
I'm just curious to see if the 950's will get the Verizon "treatment" It's like they did things just to see how far they could push MS/Nokia for fun.

3: Rip out standard visual voicemail. We have a craptastic app and $3/month charge for that.
5: Sabotage MMS if you try to use the handset on another carrier. Laugh at the FCC
6: First class ticket to the back of any retail store display, make sure even blackberry has better placement.
8: Software updates? haha "Coming Soon™"

The visual voice mail thing really bothers me. That should just be standard fair in this day and age. Ridiculous to charge extra for this feature. And while it is a fantastic feature, I REFUSE to pay extra for it.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site

8: Software updates? haha "Coming Soon™"

First. Here is an article showing confirmed prototype images. So yes, corners are square.

Images of the Microsoft Lumia 950 (XL) prototype revealed for the first time | Windows Central

To answer the rest. If Microsoft makes the 950/950XL to work on ALL networks, then most if not all of what you listed won't happen. As far as updates... we'll see. Verizon didn't jump quick on the WP8.1/Cyan bandwagon, but we WERE the first (well 2nd after the 928) to get WP8.1/Denim. So the only thing we missed out on was... oh yeah... nothing.

If the 950/950XL is unbranded and is capable of working on Verizon's network, then Microsoft is on the hook for all updates. Verizon never said it would not allow Microsoft Lumia devices on its network, it just said it doesn't want to sell them. Like I said in a previous post. Verizon's revenue from device sales is negligible. So by allowing Microsoft devices onto its network won't impact that, but it will still generate revenue on its core business; which is selling wireless voice, text, and data services.

P.S. As far as "sabotaging" MMS... you think maybe Nokia sabotaged it so it wouldn't cut into 930 sales. Evidently, the Icon works on more LTE networks than the 930 does. The Icon was designed as a "world phone", meaning it works (fully) practically anywhere. Not just here in the US, but overseas as well. The 930 only works fully in non-US markets. Just a thought...

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
List one "unbranded" phone that works on the Verizon network. Oh wait you cant because Verizon has their CDMA firmware key and device white list on lock-down.

I can.

1. Nexus 6
  2. iPhone 6 (factory unlocked)
  3. iPhone 6+ (factory unlocked)
Oops, that was three... And to add to it, the upcoming Moto X Style Pure Edition will supposedly work on Verizon as well.

I've said this before; if Apple and Google (and Motorola) can do it, Microsoft can do it as well. The question is: will they?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99