What Did AT&T Agree to in Order to Win FCC Approval for Its DirecTV Deal?

Tom Snyder

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
Well here goes to higher bills, whether people chose to believe it or not, nothing comes without cost and there is no such thing as a free lunch somebody pays for it. In this case it we be all of us paid subscribers.

What I'd like to see them do is making them put up more towers in rural areas so more people would have cell service, but instead its more subsidized services to the free cell phone crowd. :eck:

The $48.5 billion deal makes the company the largest provider of subscription television service in the United States. The new, larger AT&T will serve more than 26 million customers in the U.S. and more than 191 million customers in Latin America, including Mexico and the Caribbean. AT&T also has more than 132 million wireless subscribers and connections in the U.S. and Mexico, and nearly 16 million subscribers to its high-speed Internet service.

The FCC has allowed AT&T to become a massive entity, but the agency did not approve the deal without conditions. The new cable and phone giant pledged to use its heft to expand the places where it offers broadband Internet access, and the FCC has made the deal conditional on it delivering.

Within AT&T's 21-state wireline footprint, it will offer discounted fixed broadband service to low-income households that qualify for the government's Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program. In locations where it's available, service with speeds of at least 10Mbps will be offered for $10 per month. Elsewhere, 5Mbps service will be offered for $10 per month or, in some locations, 3Mbps service will be offered for $5 per month.

I would gladly pay $30 a month for 3GB or $50 a month for 5GB services, just put the service into the dead zone on 70% of the land mass in the USA. I know if you live in urban areas or Europe you can't imagine the nearest cell tower is 15, 25, 50 or more miles away close to a small city. And the Govt is worried that people in the large metro urban areas do not have enough free wireless internet services, how about getting service to Fly-Over-America and for those who do not know what that is, it's about 70% of the land mass of the USA away from densely populated metro urban areas and if you throw in Alaska that percentage would go way up.

Last edited:

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I really hate seeing people post links to Motely Fool. IMHO, it is one of the worst click bait sites on the net and you are just feeding them traffic (which = money) and encouraging them to go on.

I'm very interested in the topic, but WILL NOT click the link.

Tom Snyder

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
I really hate seeing people post links to Motely Fool. IMHO, it is one of the worst click bait sites on the net and you are just feeding them traffic (which = money) and encouraging them to go on.

I'm very interested in the topic, but WILL NOT click the link.

Sorry did not Know that about Motely Fool, I'm looking at the real FCC document now, it's like reading the Income Tax Code. It's 241 pages of gibberish.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
That FCC stuff is very dense.. Like the Librarian of Congress rulings on cell phone unlocking. Takes a while to wade through.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre