What are my AT&T Phone options?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

AT&T Phone options

I'm switching to AT&T and I'm trying to figure out what the best WP to get is. I currently have the 635 and it's nice but a little short on the spec side from what I'd prefer. I've carried these in the past:
HTC 8XT (Sprint)
ATIV S Neo (Sprint)
Nokia 1520 (AT&T)
I was originally considering the M8 for Windows, but I've had bad experiences with HTC's quality and paying 648 for a phone that came out last year seems pretty high. Also, I really liked the 1520 when I had it, so I would be just fine with another Nokia. I'm hoping you guys can shed some light on what the best one to carry would be.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Re: AT&T Phone options

My suggestion would be to wait for the new flagship Cityman or Talkman coming later this year. Those will be running Windows 10 Mobile out of the box and have more features available than anything currently available.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

[FONT=&quot]This thread has been moved to an appropriate forum...[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]As per this advice: http://forums.windowscentral.com/ask-question/292973-who-should-post-ask-question-forum.html WC members are free to post in all areas of the board. Please use Ask a Question only for time critical help issues that affect the immediate functionality of your device.[/FONT]

I wholeheartedly recommend you stay away from any carrier branded phones at this point in the game. Win 10 Mo is coming. It is going to change things in a major way...

Getting an AT&T branded phone right now is a HUGE gamble that they (ATT) will allow the upgrade to 10 to even go through for your device. The rather lovely 640 XL may very well be the only AT&T Windows Phone getting that upgrade as the latest Windows Phone for Big Blue to carry. This is how carriers think. Still, there is no guarantee any carrier branded phone will be allowed to make the leap to Win 10 Mo.

Check out the 830 forum. AT&T branded 830 users are livid right now. They were never given full Denim and have no access to Lumia Camera 5 and Rich Capture, even though it was implied at launch they would receive it.

DO NOT GET A BRANDED PHONE.

I sincerely recommend the Lumia 830 RM-985 Factory Unlocked for the Americas. 100% updated and upgradeable direct from Microsoft without any carrier shenanigans. 100% compatible with AT&T's network or any ATT mvno.

Or the Lumia 640 or 640 XL in one of the Unlocked world phone variants...

Check out these guys for a source. Smartphones | B&H Photo Video

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site

Depends on what are your must have features. If you're just looking for an AT&T branded phone then the 1520, 830, 640 and 640XL are your only Nokia/MS options. If you're willing to explore some unlocked albeit better options then there's the Lumia 830 (RM-985), Lumia 1520.3 (RM-938), Lumia 640 DS, Lumia 640 XL DS, Blu WinHD LTE, Blu WinJr, Lumia 735 LTE, Lumia 930 (no LTE)

phstratton

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site

[FONT="]This thread has been moved to an appropriate forum...[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#333333][FONT="] [/FONT]

[FONT="]As per this advice: http://forums.windowscentral.com/ask-question/292973-who-should-post-ask-question-forum.html WC members are free to post in all areas of the board. Please use Ask a Question only for time critical help issues that affect the immediate functionality of your device.[/FONT]

I wholeheartedly recommend you stay away from any carrier branded phones at this point in the game. Win 10 Mo is coming. It is going to change things in a major way...

Getting an AT&T branded phone right now is a HUGE gamble that they (ATT) will allow the upgrade to 10 to even go through for your device. The rather lovely 640 XL may very well be the only AT&T Windows Phone getting that upgrade as the latest Windows Phone for Big Blue to carry. This is how carriers think. Still, there is no guarantee any carrier branded phone will be allowed to make the leap to Win 10 Mo.

Check out the 830 forum. AT&T branded 830 users are livid right now. They were never given full Denim and have no access to Lumia Camera 5 and Rich Capture, even though it was implied at launch they would receive it.

I sincerely recommend the Lumia 830 RM-985 Factory Unlocked for the Americas. 100% updated and upgradeable direct from Microsoft without any carrier shenanigans. 100% compatible with AT&T's network or any ATT mvno.

I would like the to try the 830 RM-985, where is the best place to purchase it?

phstratton

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site

My suggestion would be to wait for the new flagship Cityman or Talkman coming later this year. Those will be running Windows 10 Mobile out of the box and have more features available than anything currently available.

I'll probably switch up when they come out, but right now I need something as I am switching to AT&T.

phstratton

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site

[FONT="]This thread has been moved to an appropriate forum...[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#333333][FONT="] [/FONT]

[FONT="]As per this advice: http://forums.windowscentral.com/ask-question/292973-who-should-post-ask-question-forum.html WC members are free to post in all areas of the board. Please use Ask a Question only for time critical help issues that affect the immediate functionality of your device.[/FONT]

Actually, the 830 is a little low on the processing side. I wanted something around 2.3GHz w/ 2gb of RAM w/ about a 5 inch screen. Is there anything that fits those specs?

Big Papa Smurf

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site

I think the 929/930 will work but there's no LTE. I may be wrong. And they need to have the APN programmed. Or maybe I'm confused about the whole thing. Maybe rumored could explain... But if the 1520 is too big maybe go with the 640/830

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

That 930 is exactly what I was wanting! Will the RM-1045 version work on AT&T?

RM-1045 has a European tuned LTE so it will only get H+ on AT&T. ATT H+ is pretty good speed. Especially as more of their traffic goes to LTE.

Other than that... Should be a go. B&H has discontinued them, but they can be found elsewhere.

You may also want to check out our Marketplace forum: The Marketplace - Buy, Sell & Trade - Windows Central Forums

Big Papa Smurf

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
The 929 (Icon) will get LTE but the 930 won't.

Wow I don't know that. I assumed the 929 was CDMA and if it worked at all it would get H+ on ATT/Tmo since they are GSM.

Learn something new everyday here. (Sometimes you gotta read though).

Edit: After going through the icon forums(whodathunkit?) there WAS an issue with MMS but it appears after denim update it works. So there ya go.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre