2-Year Contracts?

LAETH08

Sep 7, 2014
Visit site
Does at&t still offer 2-year contracts, or will I have to do their stupid at&t next program? Where I live its either at&t or Verizon. Does Verizon still offer contacts? I haven't bought a new phone since 2012 so I'm not sure what my options are. (didn't feel like waiting 2 hours in the Verizon and at&t stores to talk to someone)

Tullphan

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
I think AT&T is strictly "Next" now.
I read were VZW was going the same route, but still offering current customers the 2 yr. plan.
Someone please correct me if i'm wrong.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I think AT&T is strictly "Next" now.
I read were VZW was going the same route, but still offering current customers the 2 yr. plan.
Someone please correct me if i'm wrong.

I believe you are correct, but each device has a monthly charge of it's own, based on the kind of device it is. Not a fan personally but eh, not my issue.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Next is more like an installment plan though I would prefer buying the device through 0% financing elsewhere provided AT&T had lower prices for it's BYOD plans.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Factory Unlocked + mvno = lowest billing per month. Bite the bullet and pay for your device up front. Now the carrier does not control your updates.

I've not bought a device from a carrier since Android Cupcake and never will again. Fool me once, shame on you,. Fool me twice, shame on me.

Vexxed

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
More box stores and manufacturers should offer financing. There's a thirst for competition in that marketplace. Apple is jumping on it and I expect more will follow suit.

Mobile devices are going to be with us for the foreseeable future so it's time to get off the hype train and get what fits your needs, including price and capability. The gap between device ranges is closing fast, cameras seeming to be the largest difference.

Carrier freedom should be a higher consumer priority, it'll bring prices down and service up. I broke free and I'm never going back

JPDVM2014

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
Does at&t still offer 2-year contracts, or will I have to do their stupid at&t next program? Where I live its either at&t or Verizon. Does Verizon still offer contacts? I haven't bought a new phone since 2012 so I'm not sure what my options are. (didn't feel like waiting 2 hours in the Verizon and at&t stores to talk to someone)

Personally, I think between a 2 yr contract and the Next program, Next wins out. Once your phone is paid off, your bill goes down. Where as with a 2 yr contract, you are still paying the phone subsidy even if you don't upgrade. I'm currently with AT&T, but am seriously thinking about switching my 2 lines to either T-Mobile or an MVNO. T-Mobile has an offer right now for 2 lines with 10GB of high speed data each for $100 a month. I just need to get the funds together to buy myself a 950XL outright.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
I'm currently with AT&T, but am seriously thinking about switching my 2 lines to either T-Mobile or an MVNO

If you are happy with AT&T's coverage and would be okay with 8 MB/S LTE speeds then Cricket Wireless is a great option. Right now I pay 90 bucks for 3 lines, w/ unlimited texting, calling and 2.5GB each of LTE (2G after that). Adding another line would add another 10 bucks and the 5th line would be free. Let me know if you need a referral in case you wish to switch :smile: (25 bucks rebate per line for both of us)

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
If you are happy with AT&T's coverage and would be okay with 8 MB/S LTE speeds then Cricket Wireless is a great option. Right now I pay 90 bucks for 3 lines, w/ unlimited texting, calling and 2.5GB each of LTE (2G after that). Adding another line would add another 10 bucks and the 5th line would be free. Let me know if you need a referral in case you wish to switch :smile: (25 bucks rebate per line for both of us)

And I'm running 4 lines on Cricket with 2.5 GB high speed data each for $100. If you are bundling lines, Cricket is hard to beat.

JPDVM2014

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site

Thanks for pointing out Cricket. I don't think the 8mbps would be an issue. Do you ever have any issues playing YouTube videos or Netflix? That is about the only thing I do that would need the bandwidth. Other than that it is just web browsing and music. I would need more than 2.5GB a month, but my wife would be fine with that. Looks like I could get 10GB for me and 2.5GB for her for $80 a month with group save and autopay. Sorry for slightly highjacking the thread. :grin:

Citizen X

May 11, 2013
Visit site
I'm still on a two year contract with grandfathered unlimited data. As far as I know when it is up I can buy a new phone and start the whole cycle again.

It is a weird deal though, because once you pay off the phone your monthly bill doesn't go down. You have to get another phone. I don't mind at this time though. I need a back up phone. So that is what my 1520 will be.

camaroz1985

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I also recommend Cricket. I will never go back to a contracted service. The coverage is great, speed is not an issue, data limits are cheap compared to the big name carriers. I pay $35/month for one line with 2.5GB LTE, unlimited text and calling. Can't be beat. Easily make up the cost of a new phone every 2 years ($30 x24 months = $720).

If only I could get my wife to switch from Verizon as well. She can't get AT&T service at work, so that is the driving factor for her.

LAETH08

Sep 7, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions. I think I'm just going to see what AT&T has available. If they only have the 950 then I will cancel my plan and buy the 950xl from MS and do AT&T's BYOD for 55/month.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon