Without Verizon support, is WM10 DOA?

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
I don't want to dis MS but I was running WM TP 10 on my Icon and going to the Note is like night and day. No more loading screens super fast. I love the phone and it's a great piece of hardware but I'd go back to MS. I still have my MS band which works well on the note. Also my surface Pro 3 and Xbox so I'm not abandoning MS. Just the mobile platform for now.

Same here...Note 5, for now, on mobile Platform. I'd go back right away to WP of things improve and we get a new flagship.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

BytorJr

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Well, I'm disappointed in this. I bought the 735 in July, and LOVE it, LOVE it, LOVE it. That VZ is not going to support Windows phones (assuming the worst) is incredulous!!! I really don't care who's fault it is. It appears VZ is cold shouldering MSFT, so MSFT needs to do some damage control (aka, open the wallet). MSFT hasn't really done anything to see that our stupid providers in the USA are compensated or educated. Then they apparently haven't done much to attract developers. So from that aspect, I can see why VZ is not wanting to invest - but if that's the case, they should allow unlocked IMO.

I doubt I'll leave VZ immediately, as I will give an opportunity to see if VZ will come on board. Let's hope T-Mob gets in too.

Unfortunately, and not to sound like an arrogant American, the US market is for sure a driver and can quite possibly make or break MSFT's plans. Too many people I know, including to some extent myself, remember the bad days of AT&T (and Cingular) and will have to be really convinced to go them. Cutting out that much market share in a market where people buy phones yearly (or less) is not a good market strategy.

Do I have the answer, no; but I do know it's not "we won't play with VZ" if that indeed is the case.

afripino

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Can't switch providers...company pays for my phones. I've recommended WP to coworkers, but without any good news, I can't anymore. Also, with stagnating market share and not getting MORE customers (who gives a **** about how this affects VZ, this hurts MS regardless) the devs will continue to retreat as well (ahem...Mint). I'm sure a few people will buy the 950/XL with AT&T, but I can guarantee you it won't make a dent in market share if budget phones are what sell for MS anyways. I've never been the negative nancy for WP, but the latest news is really grim for the platform. Less apps, less phone options, less carriers... All of that equals less interest. Doesn't matter what country you're in. I'd love for it to turn around as I'm one of the "all in" users grasping for a sign of better days ahead, but MS hasn't really shown anything to keep me optimistic. Hell, making an announcement for phones with an incomplete OS is some Kickstarter worthy ****...not something I'd expect MS to do. Till I hear some good news I guess my only option is to #wait

Angry_Mushroom

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
I don't think Verizon's saltiness will affect Window 10's chances at success. That remains firmly in the realm of perceived app gaps and premium devices. I can see more and more phone makers getting tired of Verizon's BS, and sooner or later they'll stop catering with carrier specific devices. At which point Verizon will have cave in, or start losing sales. Or not. Got burned with my Lumia 810, and I plan to never repeat that mistake again.

ksj1

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Hell, making an announcement for phones with an incomplete OS is some Kickstarter worthy ****...not something I'd expect MS to do. Till I hear some good news I guess my only option is to #wait

You've obviously never been involved in a software development project. They know they will have a product that can ship in November based on the huge amount of data they have and a historical reference on how long it will take to solve the existing bugs. Will it still ship with some bugs? Yes, just like every other platform out there. Or have you not read about Apple's "Kickstarter worthy ****" IOS that just had a large number of early bugs fixed?

Stef8600

Aug 18, 2014
Visit site
With that kind of messages Without Verizon support, is WM10 DOA? You are damaging more the image of Lumia than Verizon does with not supporting W10M phones. People who are interested in buying such a phone are searching the internet nowadays. So when they read this kind of rubbish (sorry have no other words for this) they abandon already. They think that they will buy a phone that will be discontinued and they walk away.
I also think that the US phone market is sick, very sick. It should not be the mobile operators that have to deside which phones people should buy!

The Werewolf

May 4, 2014
Visit site
First off - there IS a world outside the US. It's a world where Windows Phone actually does better than the US which is still pretty much iPhone oriented. So, no, not DOA.

More than that - the system used by Verizon is horribly antiquated and unused pretty much everywhere else on the planet, which uses GSM (ie: AT&T and T-Mobile). So again, no loss.

Finally, every in the world outside of the US (and Canada since we're dragged along by you guys) you don't buy your phones from the carriers. You buy them from whomever you want at honestly competitive prices and you get a much wider range of choices besides iPhone, Samsung ... maybe a few LG phones and Moto phones for the oddballs.

You may not realise it, but when it comes to cell phones, US customers actually only get a tiny subset of what the rest of the world gets - mainly because for most cell phone OEMs, it's just not worth the effort to sell into the US.

The Werewolf

May 4, 2014
Visit site
Name one mobile OS that doesn't have a US user base. Your comment is pointless since there are no examples of either of your sets.

And you're kind of missing is point: Asia is a market. But if you prefer, let's break it down: south Asia (ie: India) 1.3 billion people, and east Asia (ie: China) 1.4 billion. While we're at it: population of Europe (ie EU common market) 508 million - technically, this is 29 countries - but they have an integrated economic market and anyone in any EU country can buy products in any other one freely... so it's essentially one big country from the perspective of purchasing. There are LOTs of places to sell Windows Phones besides the US.

Sidenote: your real question should have been: name one phone line that's successful without being sold in the US - and that one, I could list tons of examples.

decarpentry

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
OK guys - you are confusing the issue. For the record, I was a huge Symbian fan, and have lived in several countries and do not have a particularly restricted world view. Generally, we cannot expect software companies to fail at home, nor on half the earth, and yet continue to operate. Nokia was successful in Europe. Apple is more successful in the US. But, whatever, go ahead an argue. When Microsoft has 45% of market share in any major market (whether a large country or continent), then we can start debating about huge here and not there. Yes - with VZW not supporting Microsoft, and AT&T not really going to either, WP is in very big trouble. Other facts - 1) Microsoft keeps on reducing their phone workforce, 2) They have had control for a while and have done nothing significant with the Lumias (just ask Dan), 3) There is no compelling reason for anyone to switch to Windows Phone besides the OS, and I seem to be the only one that I know that feels that way.

millercrew5

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Forgive me if I am wrong but the cdma and gsm points are mute due to LTE being a totally different modulation method anyway right?! So if The cdma is not supported it doesn't matter as long as the let is right?

davebwi

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
So switch to AT&T. Tell Verizon you are leaving because they won't support WP 10 and the new 950/XL.
I have seen 50 post on this site saying they would leave Verizon to get the 950 / 950 XL.
Vote with your wallet and stop giving Verizon money.
AMEN... I love my Lumia 830 on AT&T with the latest Windows 10 Insider ... I am definitely getting a 950 from AT&T or direct... havent decided witch way is better ..yet..

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
The nexus 5x and 6p phones aren't certified for Verizon as long as you have an activated nano SIM it will work on Verizon if you need to get a Sims then you have trouble getting one from Verizon so why doesn't ms sell the phone with all bands
Punctuation please.

cmucodemonkey

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
That is a bit strong in my opinion, but I do agree that it is frustrating to be a Verizon customer with a Windows Phone today. I'm planning to hold on to my Lumia 735 for a while and wait to see how this situation shakes out.

However I don't think everybody that wants a Windows Phone will have to switch to AT&T. The 950 and 950XL are exclusive to AT&T right now, but that doesn't mean they couldn't also go to other carriers like T-Mobile or Sprint in the future. And honestly I think the app problem is not a lack of independent developers writing apps for the platform, but rather companies that don't feel the platform is worth developing apps for (i.e. banks, mobile payments, etc).

cmucodemonkey

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
Forgive me if I am wrong but the cdma and gsm points are mute due to LTE being a totally different modulation method anyway right?! So if The cdma is not supported it doesn't matter as long as the let is right?

In theory yes. The problem is Verizon could refuse to authorize the new Lumia phones on their network, in which case the technology inside the phones is totally irrelevant.

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
AMEN... I love my Lumia 830 on AT&T with the latest Windows 10 Insider ... I am definitely getting a 950 from AT&T or direct... havent decided witch way is better ..yet..

Some of us can't...work pays us for our personal/work phone and saves us money...so people like us, it has been difficult to heart about the 950xl. Still hoping Verizon gets something!

3earnhardt3

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft sold HALF the number of phones compared to last year. This is with the 830 release last year which was sold at an incredible profit compared to the 640 with the same internals sold this year for 1/2 to 1/4 the price. After reading Daniel's doom and gloom article I have given up hope. I will keep my ativ se as long as I can, but I think it is best if Microsoft shuts down the mobile division for a while until they have something that makes iPhones and Android phones look like toys. Phones with real networking capabilities and running on intel processors that can run full applications in continuum mode are going to blow up the smartphone market, but we are at least another year out from that. Universal/store apps are just too limited.

NOLATechy

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Excellent point Tumultus! Verizon may not support Windows Phone 10, but AT&T will and so will most of the carriers world-wide. Microsoft doesnt need the large American market share to succeed. There are other large European countries where Windows Phone actually outsells iPhone and Android, and with Continuum coming, I'm sure that market share will only increase.

afripino

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
You've obviously never been involved in a software development project. They know they will have a product that can ship in November based on the huge amount of data they have and a historical reference on how long it will take to solve the existing bugs. Will it still ship with some bugs? Yes, just like every other platform out there. Or have you not read about Apple's "Kickstarter worthy ****" IOS that just had a large number of early bugs fixed?

I AM a software developer....have been professionally for the last 9 years. Fixing bugs after release is one thing, but having an incomplete OS during your announcement that isn't even at the level of the previous version is just **** poor.

First off - there IS a world outside the US. It's a world where Windows Phone actually does better than the US which is still pretty much iPhone oriented. So, no, not DOA.

So these year old and 2 year old budget phones are going to save the platform? Or will the BRIEFLY announced Lumia 550 sell like hotcakes and bring the devs running over? So let's ignore the US for a second (which happens to release at least 80% of all popular apps)...these other markets are STILL dominated by Android and iOS (aside from a few small countries).

You are damaging more the image of Lumia than Verizon does with not supporting W10M phones.
On the contrary, I hope MS reads this and gets their act together. Tired of the same reboot cycle every couple years and lack of support from devs, carriers, and disappointed users as a result. Tired of empty promises like live lockscreens. Tired of being a beta tester.

Show me something that's actually completed and then I'll be a believer. I've shown support with my wallet since my PPC6700 then my Treo 700wx then my HTC Touch Pro 2 then my HTC Trophy then my HTC 8X then my (and my wife's) Lumia Icon. I've been, and still continue to be a strong advocate for Microsoft as a whole, but their mobile platform is totally lacking definition right now.

And for the people saying that it's not about apps...please get a clue. Apps make phones capable. Capability is why people buy these things. Otherwise, a feature phone with a web browser would be adequate.

ksj1

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I AM a software developer....have been professionally for the last 9 years. Fixing bugs after release is one thing, but having an incomplete OS during your announcement that isn't even at the level of the previous version is just **** poor.

How do you know they were not ready when they announced? We went from build 10549 to 10572 in a week. We really have no idea what the internal builds were at the point they announced and we don't know what the internal build is currently. They don't take today's build and publish it to insiders tomorrow. They test it extensively before we ever see it with us being the final portion of that testing in case something they didn't already know about is found.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre