No 950 on verizon. End of me on windows phone... :(

jasonstemm

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
I'm been a big proponent of windows phone since the wp7 days. I was the only wireless rep in a whole region selling them at one time. I'm disappointed that the 950 is not coming to Verizon. I'm due to upgrade next week and I'm looking to go for another platform. Sorry, but Microsoft needs to get in bed with Verizon and figure this out.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Sorry, but carriers need to get the heck out of the way of phone makers and concentrate on providing wireless service and stop interfering with updates and device availability.

Luckyshot000

Oct 20, 2015
Visit site
I'm been a big proponent of windows phone since the wp7 days. I was the only wireless rep in a whole region selling them at one time. I'm disappointed that the 950 is not coming to Verizon. I'm due to upgrade next week and I'm looking to go for another platform. Sorry, but Microsoft needs to get in bed with Verizon and figure this out.

Just because you are due and upgrade doesn't mean you have to take it. I've been upgrade eligible since June. My phone still works, nothing better is out there for me to upgrade to without switching to platforms/carriers I really don't like. So, I wait.

There is still a possibility that the 950/950XL will be usable on Verizon's network. All indications are that the phones should be compatible with the network but the necessary band has been disabled. Due to quirks in the CDMA networks, phones have to be tested on specific carriers networks unlike GSM which if it works on one it works on all.

If Microsoft gets the phones tested by a third party for Verizon's network, then the FCC would require Verizon to activate the phones. Due to Verizon's use of Band 13 frequencies, Verizon must activate any phone that passes that third-party verification. I've read that this verification requires a manufactured phone (not a prototype) and Microsoft doesn't have any yet. In fact, Microsoft hasn't gotten any FCC certifications for the 950/950XL.

If you like the Windows Phone platform, stick it out a little bit. Window 10 mobile is still a month or two out and until that is ready for release, there won't be any new Window's phones. And while Verizon will probably never sell them, there is still a good possibility that they will be able to be activated by Verizon customers sometime during Q1 2016 by my guess.

dakranii

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Luckyshot, excellent response and info. Glad it's at the forefront of this post and not lost in the middle of the giant 950XL on Verizon thread.

Not only can you wait to use your upgrade, but you can save money in the meantime! My $40 monthly access is around $20 now that I'm "off contact"

Luckyshot000

Oct 20, 2015
Visit site
Yes, forgot to mention that. I switched over to the Verizon Edge program without getting a new phone and cut my bill by $40 a month. Now I just have a single line, not sure what that would come to for a multi-line account.

Also, it just occurred to me that if you really want to know if Microsoft will go through the third-party testing to get the 950/950XL approved for Verizon, wait until they go through their FCC certification. If they plan to eventually get Verizon network approval they would have to first get the devices use of the appropriate bands approved by the FCC.

If the FCC certification covers Band 13, then Microsoft is most likely intending on submitting the phones to third party testing for Verizon certification. If the FCC certification doesn't cover Band 13, then I doubt Microsoft will resubmit to the FCC for retesting at a later date and it will only be GSM.

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Sorry, but carriers need to get the heck out of the way of phone makers and concentrate on providing wireless service and stop interfering with updates and device availability.
BINGO!!!!!

It would be like if you have Cox high speed internet, or any other ISP, and they would only allow Gateway computers running Amiga O/S to connect. Then if there were any firmware or O/S updates, Cox would test everything first (which would take 6-9 months), then push it out to the masses.

People need to quit complaining about the hardware manufacturers, and start yelling at the carriers. Or even better their representatives (house and senate, fed and state) to get things changed.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
950 is not coming to Verizon and due to upgrade next week I,m looking to go for another platform.
Msn Services
For sure if you painted yourself into a contract corner and trapped yourself at Verizon or there are no other carriers where you use a phone. It happens. If you have a contract with Verizon, learn from your mistakes so you don't have to use a phone you don't want next time.

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
Not sure what phones you Verizon guys have right now, but I'd put an Icon up against an iPhone 6 any day. Icons are very reasonably priced, and are flagship quality phones.

I'm not sure I get the "I'm changing platforms because I have an upgrade coming" mentality. Do upgrade availabilities expire?

If not, you could get a great Icon, use it for a bit to see what happens with the 950, then you can sell it for almost what you paid for it if you're still unhappy downstream.

If you want to change platforms, then so be it. Lack of a 950 on Verizon shouldn't be the causative action, at least not yet.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Sorry, but Microsoft needs to get in bed with Verizon and figure this out.

Yep, because the 950 being exclusive to Vzw in the US would benefit everyone. You, me (who would not touch the Verizon-Uberlord service with a 10 foot pole), the rest of the American public who will then never see or hear of the phone and mostly it will benefit Microsoft who at this point desperately needs their new flagship class phone treated like a feature phone gathering dust in the back of VZW stores with a non functional dummy copy on display...

Verizon has proven time and again that they demand too much and then fail to push the phones out the door.

It's about the platform. Microsoft made it very clear earlier this year that they are not maintaining unproductive relationships with carriers.

I keep putting this out there in all the "Verizon is paramount" threads. Vzw is NOT pulling their weight. ATT + Cricket (owned by ATT) accounts for 51% of WP in use in the US. T-Mo + Metro PCS (owned by T-Mo) accounts for 22% and T-Mo's offerings of hardware and their support record are even worse than Vzw's. Verizon only subscribes 12.4% of WP units active in the US.

Who is productive and selling phones and who is not?

adduplex-windows-phone-statistics-report-september-2015-9-638.jpg

AdDuplex Windows Phone Device Statistics Report for September, 2015

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Addendum: Heck, even the Sprint owned Boost Mobile manages almost 5% of active WP on their service. I'm sure some legacy models on Sprint proper accounts for a bit more so even down at the heels Sprint is managing half (or close to half) of what the vaunted "top tier A#1" Verizon manages with their lackluster support of the platform.

It's like demanding that Microsoft arrange things so that the production line for US slated phones ends straight at a garbage heap. Let's bypass the middle ground, by all means.

maevinj

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
Addendum: Heck, even the Sprint owned Boost Mobile manages almost 5% of active WP on their service. I'm sure some legacy models on Sprint proper accounts for a bit more so even down at the heels Sprint is managing half (or close to half) of what the vaunted "top tier A#1" Verizon manages with their lackluster support of the platform.

It's like demanding that Microsoft arrange things so that the production line for US slated phones ends straight at a garbage heap. Let's bypass the middle ground, by all means.

That chart is a little misleading for your point. 12% of users on Verizon is probably equal to all the other carries combined minus AT&T. Verizon's subscriber base is the largest in the US. So 12% of that is definitely larger than it appears to be.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
That chart is a little misleading for your point. 12% of users on Verizon is probably equal to all the other carries combined minus AT&T. Verizon's subscriber base is the largest in the US. So 12% of that is definitely larger than it appears to be.
No. The chart says Verizon has 12% of Windows phones users, not 12% of Verizon users are Windows Phones.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Not even close. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_wireless_communications_service_providers

[SUP]

In each case it includes subsidiaries and hosted mvno services so the playing field is level or in other words all "hidden" subscribers are revealed.

12% of 135.4 million is 16.248 million or about 28% of the subscribers on the #4 network, Sprint.

But, you know, your overestimation aside, the chart shows which carriers are hosting what percent of active Windows Phone users in the US... Not the percentage of subscribers at each carrier that are on Windows Phone. Two totally different things.
[/SUP]

anon(5383410)

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
The ironic thing about it is that if Verizon's service wasn't so poor in my area I wouldn't be getting a 950. Everyone loves Verizon's service and I did until I moved to the area I live in now but it's awful here. I often have to go outside to make a call in front of my own house. I live in a densely populated area too it's not like I'm in the sticks.

I love Windows Phone but if Verizon's network were the same here as it was where I used to live then I would've had to abandon the platform since it looks like they're not getting the 950. Good for me the AT&T store is right down the block brah!

keithhackneysmullet

Jun 29, 2015
Visit site

Yes and Verizon is one of the worst offenders . It would be like Comcast trying to tell you what tv you can use with their cable. It's criminally stupid.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon