Net 10/StraightTalk/T-Mobile

bucfan11

Oct 26, 2015
Visit site
Is there a consensus on which network is better? I know in different areas of the country it can be different but overall is one better than the other? I'm leaning towards Straight Talk but if I'm on T-Mobile towers with Straight Talk I might as well use them as a carrier...right?

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Is there a consensus on which network is better? I know in different areas of the country it can be different but overall is one better than the other? I'm leaning towards Straight Talk but if I'm on T-Mobile towers with Straight Talk I might as well use them as a carrier...right?
Straight Talk has a T-mobile flavor. You can have both, but data speeds/limits will probably vary.

With T-mobile, your data just slows down after hitting the limit.

Last edited:

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
I used Straight Talk with both AT&T phone and Verizon phone. It worked well once you got the MMS settings correctly installed. Have not tried anything T-Mobile as yet.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Do you want T-Mo flavored towers or ATT flavor?

There are lots of mvno for each. Straight Talk will actually enable you on any of the 4 major carrier's towers (choose one upon activation).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_mobile_virtual_network_operators

What do you want out of your service? First check the coverage maps at the major carriers and see who gives great signal where you live/work/travel.

Most mvno will cap your data speed at 8mbps. Then after your high speed allotment you will fall to EDGE. But on most carrier plans you get EDGE after your high speed is used up.

So do you want to save money? Get the most data for a great price? Just you? Or are you bringing several lines?

The more details you bring to the table, the better a fit we can find you.

How do you feel about dual SIM, do you have a dual SIM phone?

bucfan11

Oct 26, 2015
Visit site
I'll be buying my wife a 640XL duel sim. I'm looking for most data for my buck. If the mvno carriers are capped at 8mbps, what is my Verizon LTE running at? Is it a huge difference in speed? I was m\not aware you could choose towers on ST, I thought they put you on the towers they wanted.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'll be buying my wife a 640XL duel sim. I'm looking for most data for my buck. If the mvno carriers are capped at 8mbps, what is my Verizon LTE running at? Is it a huge difference in speed? I was m\not aware you could choose towers on ST, I thought they put you on the towers they wanted.

If it is you and your wife only I'd go ST with an ATT flavor SIM. If you bring your own phone and get the $45/month plan they give you 5GB high speed each month. Probably the most data for $ deal anywhere.

I say ATT flavor towers as you will get the most phone compatibility out of that. Depending on area, T-Mo may have some funky frequencies not all phones have.

If you get great T-Mo coverage in your area and want to pay a bit more, T-Mo proper has some great perks, like streaming music from some services does not count toward your data use and free data and Texting in over 150 countries if you travel a lot.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I was m\not aware you could choose towers on ST, I thought they put you on the towers they wanted.

The Straight Talk BYOD package includes SIM cards for AT&T, Verizon, and T-Mobile. You choose. I'm not sure how it works with Sprint, but I do know that Straight Talk also offers Sprint service. Maybe you need to buy a Straight Talk phone designed for Sprint? I do not know for sure.

The AT&T and T-Mobile SIM cards will work in pretty much any unlocked GSM phone. Also, the AT&T SIM will work in an AT&T locked phone, and the T-Mobile SIM will work in a T-Mobile locked phone. The Verizon SIM will work in a Verizon LTE phone, as well as a few factory unlocked phones that work on Verizon (this does not apply to you since the factory unlocked phones that work on Verizon are all iPhone or Android).

As far as data speed, as far as i know you will get full LTE speed. You should get about the same download speed as you'd get with a plan directly from the carrier.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6