MSFT may lose me as a customer because no at&t contract 950 XL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Citizen X

May 11, 2013
Visit site
*Due to the type of contract I have and my usage pattern a noncontract phone is not an option*

Windows Phone is getting tougher and tougher to be loyal to. I'm the type of customer at&t and MSFT love having. I buy a new flagship phone every two years and lock into two year contracts. My current phone is the 32 GB 1520 at&t variant. I was looking forward to upgrading to the 950 XL. I was disappointed it would have a smaller screen than my 1520 but I figured I'd learn to like it. Daniel did a great job giving us the heads up on the 950 XL not coming to at&t. I held out hope it was a false rumor but obviously those hopes have been dashed. I am now holding out hope it may pop up on at&t in January just like the 32 GB 1520 did 2 years ago. Obviously that may not happen so I have to examine my options.

For the first time in over half a decade I'm looking at something other than Windows Phone. I'm not posting this for my sake. I'm just trying to send a message to both companies that I'm a dissatisfied customer. If they can't keep someone like me happy they are going to have problems down the road. I stuck with at&t and MSFT after the whole Qi scandal with the 1520. I can't believe two years later they have done an even worse phone launch. Between this and the app gap I am wondering why I should even stick around. If you launch a flagship phone you should have a line around the block with people shouting, "take my money." As it is I may only grudgingly buy a 950... and only because the cost of iphones is just ludicrous. And the Continuum dock... well that probably won't get purchased any time soon. I have been evangelical about Continuum both on this forum and amongst my family and coworkers. But now that they shafted the loyal at&t customers on the 950 XL and the bundled dock I just don't have any enthusiasm to give them any more of my money. I don't get it. They could have sold us contract guys the 950 XL with bundled dock for $250. Instead we are left with the 950 for $150.

For the first time in over five years no matter what decision I make I won't have the top of the line Windows Phone. Sad day.

darth furious

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
I bought a rose gold iphone 6s 16gb on my 2 yr contract and sold it on ebay. After everything was done, I paid $220 for the phone + display dock (before $45 upgrade fee and tax). The 950 was $149 so effectively $70 more for the 950xl + dock is worth it. I had to do some work on ebay to make it happen but it was worth it to me.

I'm not happy about the 950xl situation either, but I am a hardcore fan that is willing to make it work. At least it works on AT&T and I'm not on verizon

Ten Four

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Buy the phone off contract, save yourself money, don't be tied down. There is no way that a contract is saving you money. Most people can save $25-$50 a month without even trying by going prepaid and buying no-contract phones. A lot can save 50%. Besides, even the carriers are ending 2-year contracts. You won't have them in a few years.

Citizen X

May 11, 2013
Visit site
I bought a rose gold iphone 6s 16gb on my 2 yr contract and sold it on ebay. After everything was done, I paid $220 for the phone + display dock (before $45 upgrade fee and tax). The 950 was $149 so effectively $70 more for the 950xl + dock is worth it. I had to do some work on ebay to make it happen but it was worth it to me.

Cool. I contemplated this as well. So you pulled this off with the 6s not the 6s Plus? I didn't know which iphone would be the best to do this with.

I'll sit down and run the numbers and see whether I can replicate what you did. I may take the risk and try that.

Buy the phone off contract, save yourself money, don't be tied down. There is no way that a contract is saving you money.
So weird seeing people actually still buying into long term contracts in this day and age.
Off contract is much better... Save, save, save... carrier contract and insurance sucks!

Strange how people who don't know me, don't know what contract I'm on, don't know where I live, don't know what I do for work, don't know my usage habits, and don't know what contract discount I get through my work can tell me I'm doing everything totally wrong. I wish I could be that confident about stuff I know nothing about.

Let me see if you guys are really in possession of some special information the rest of us don't have. List for me with prices these no contract cheap single user plans on a bullet proof network (ie not Tmobile nor Sprint) that have a minimum of 22 GB of unthrottled LTE data. Maybe I am a jackass. Enlighten me.

I was really trying to avoid repeating this same tired debate but it seems every thread has to begin with it, so...

badMojo69

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Actually if you get a contract phone every two years you're not buying anything you're renting.
Pay full price keep the phone until it breaks and save some cash.

Oh and get off ATT and go save some money on your monthly payments.

Ten Four

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
So, can't you BYOD on your grandfathered contract, or does that break it? If it has to be on contract I'd go with the iPhone--better apps in general, and the MS ones in particular are really good on iPhone.

Citizen X

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Actually if you get a contract phone every two years you're not buying anything you're renting.
Pay full price keep the phone until it breaks and save some cash.

Oh and get off ATT and go save some money on your monthly payments.

No problem. What plan should I get without contract that has bullet proof coverage and 22+ GB of LTE data a month?

Citizen X

May 11, 2013
Visit site
So, can't you BYOD on your grandfathered contract, or does that break it? If it has to be on contract I'd go with the iPhone--better apps in general, and the MS ones in particular are really good on iPhone.

Yeah. That's the problem. Plus my contract has a discount through work. So unlimited data and discount go away if I leave at&t. Discount may work for non contract offerings but I would be paying quite a bit with my data usage on anything other than unlimited.

Citizen X

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Can't you get one of the cheapest phones and just use the sim in the xl?

The way 2 year contracts work at at&t your monthly bill pays for the phone. Here is the rub though. Even if you pay off the phone or get a cheap crappy phone you still pay the same size bill every month. Even if you pay $0 up front you still end up paying hundreds after two years. Getting a really cheap phone is just about the worst thing you can do on a contract. An iphone 6s 16GB is $199 on contract. And hopefully I can get $650 from selling it. The choices are either do what darth furious did and get an iphone on contract and then flip it on ebay, move to andriod or iOS, or settle for a 950 and no Continuum dock.

The point being it really should not be this complicated for me to upgrade to my third flagship windows phone in 4 years. If they are jerking me around there is no way they are going to grow their market share.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
So... It is both ways???

The plan you have is such great value you can not replicate what it gives for that price in any way...

Yet the cost of the phone being billed in with the plan is so exorbitant that you are hurting yourself financially by not jumping on the upgrade wagon the moment it pulls into the station...

You are right that I'm not privy to the math of your personal situation, but I also can't reconcile the contradictory conditions.

Citizen X

May 11, 2013
Visit site
You are right that I'm not privy to the math of your personal situation...

There it is. That's all you have to say. The rest of your post was a fun house mirror summary of my situation.

Sufficed to say for the majority of people my situation wouldn't be a problem. They would just get an Andriod or iOS phone and move on without 2 seconds thought. The problem is I've been loyal to windows phone. It really would be a shame to leave and it makes me wonder if MSFT realizes they are in danger of losing people like me. That's the only reason I posted. Strange to make a flagship for "enthusiasts" and then ensure no contract or installment plans are available anywhere in the United States. I would think people with grandfathered unlimited plans would be more likely to be enthusiasts.

Last edited by a moderator:

Citizen X

May 11, 2013
Visit site
No problem. What plan should I get without contract that has bullet proof coverage and 22+ GB of LTE data a month?

That falls under the category of "do your own research". :cool:

Since you are the one that obviously is unaware of many of at&t's unpublished plans and discounts it sound like you are the one that needs to "do your own research" before dictating to strangers what they should or should not buy.

ssapre

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Since you are the one that obviously is unaware of many of at&t's unpublished plans and discounts it sound like you are the one that needs to "do your own research" before dictating to strangers what they should or should not buy.
You got in a situation you know better, so then why cribbing about it, posting it in the forum and then ranting ppl whoever comment on it? If you dont want ppl to comment on it and just want a solution - cant happen IMO. If you have alternates - go that way.

Yes, you can still put another comment quoting this comment :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)