MMS over WiFi w/ HTC One M8 and Verizon

wolfee48

Jan 24, 2015
Visit site
Device: HTC One M8
Carrier: Verizon
Situation: I am in rural location with no LTE access. I do have phone calls and text message only with mobile connection. Once I connect to WiFi, all data related apps work correctly. The problem is that I cannot receive and send MMS messages over WiFi. I have looked for APN settings and nothing works.

My GF who has same carrier, but an iPhone is able to send and receive MMS over WiFi.

Is there any advice or help?

Thanks!

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
SMS and MMS normally require cellular data and not WiFi. iOS uses iMessaging to send SMS/MMS over WiFi.

On Cricket, both my Lumia 1520.3 WP 8.1 + Denim and my wife's Nexus 6 Marshmallow are sending and receiving when WiFi is an active connection on both devices. I just ran a test:
I sent SMS from Lumia to Nexus - worked
I sent SMS from Nexus to Lumia - worked
I sent MMS from Lumia to Nexus - worked
I sent MMS from Nexus to Lumia - worked
There was no appreciable delay on any leg of this.

The problem seemingly lies with Verizon and their firmware. It was the case previously that Verizon handset users had to use the Access Point App to tweak MMS APN. Nokia updates Access Point for Windows Phone with mysterious improvements | Windows Central

I think that might be deprecated now.

I'm going to move this into the Verizon forum where hopefully you will find more help.

wolfee48

Jan 24, 2015
Visit site
SMS and MMS normally require cellular data and not WiFi. iOS uses iMessaging to send SMS/MMS over WiFi.

On Cricket, both my Lumia 1520.3 WP 8.1 + Denim and my wife's Nexus 6 Marshmallow are sending and receiving when WiFi is an active connection on both devices. I just ran a test:
I sent SMS from Lumia to Nexus - worked
I sent SMS from Nexus to Lumia - worked
I sent MMS from Lumia to Nexus - worked
I sent MMS from Nexus to Lumia - worked
There was no appreciable delay on any leg of this.

The problem seemingly lies with Verizon and their firmware. It was the case previously that Verizon handset users had to use the Access Point App to tweak MMS APN. Nokia updates Access Point for Windows Phone with mysterious improvements | Windows Central

I think that might be deprecated now.

I'm going to move this into the Verizon forum where hopefully you will find more help.

iMessaging can send MMS over WiFi to a non-apple device, my Windows Phone?

Does all MMS on iPhone send over iMessaging Wifi no matter the end users device type?

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
My impression is that what iMessage was developed for would be that back in the day it was a workaround to send SMS/MMS free of carrier charges when texting was at a premium and metered. It was a feature used to lure users to iPhone and apply peer pressure to get others into the fold. "Tim and I can iMessage and it doesn't count toward our texting count. You need to get an iPhone Jane and join us."

TiPb Answers: How iMessage works [FAQ] | iMore

I believe that if you send SMS via iMessage to a non iMessage device it reverts to carrier SMS.

The problem is not inter-platform or even Windows Phone, IMHO, but lies with Verizon Firmware. Again, on Android and Windows Phone I can not replicate this issue and neither can your wife's iOS device.

Check the forums for "Verizon SMS." I think many users complain about WiFi use disrupting their SMS/MMS flow.

wolfee48

Jan 24, 2015
Visit site
My impression is that what iMessage was developed for would be that back in the day it was a workaround to send SMS/MMS free of carrier charges when texting was at a premium and metered. It was a feature used to lure users to iPhone and apply peer pressure to get others into the fold. "Tim and I can iMessage and it doesn't count toward our texting count. You need to get an iPhone Jane and join us."

TiPb Answers: How iMessage works [FAQ] | iMore

I believe that if you send SMS via iMessage to a non iMessage device it reverts to carrier SMS.

The problem is not inter-platform or even Windows Phone, IMHO, but lies with Verizon Firmware. Again, on Android and Windows Phone I can not replicate this issue and neither can your wife's iOS device.

Check the forums for "Verizon SMS." I think many users complain about WiFi use disrupting their SMS/MMS flow.

Will do. Thanks.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro