02-08-2017 09:45 AM
86 1234
tools
    Well you are lucky, because you can find windows phone on ATT store, I went to 5 Att store for see the 950 and the people say the do not know about, they say just buy it on-line and see what append.... Terrible Marketing from Microsoft. ATT terrible.
    GMC262 and Tom Snyder like this.
    03-11-2016 12:39 PM
    I would like to know the name of the store and the rep offering her "opinion" of what people should buy. I would then contact the district manager and report her/him. It is not up to them to determine for the customer what they should or should not choose in that store. The store is there to make money based on what the customer wants to buy. How would it be if they owned a store and the sales team were telling people, "you could get it cheaper from a store around the corner"? They should be fired.
    03-11-2016 03:33 PM
    Bottom line. Bad mouthing a product your store has on the shelf for sale is a bad move and shows poor judgment..

There are better ways to steer a sale AND keep your establishment looking professional.
    03-11-2016 04:06 PM
    Thing is the story is second hand.
    Who knows what was really said.

My experience in competing carrier stores has always been good not that I do much with carriers.
    I've never been pushed or coerced in any way.
    Then again maybe I look like someone you wouldn't say no to.
    03-11-2016 04:13 PM
    Then again maybe I look like someone you wouldn't say no to.
    Um... No?

siv4.jpg
    03-11-2016 05:04 PM
    The ATT store I use always seems to have staff who are not only knowledgeable about Windows phones, but also use them personally. In fact, this has happened in two different ATT stores. When I bought my 1020, the sales rep pulled his 1520 out to show me something he does on his phone. (I just didn't want something that large). That particular 1020 had a camera issue and had to be replaced. Yellow was hard to find, but there was one at a different ATT store across town. After I was done with the swap, the person who helped me pulled a black 1020 out of his pocket to show me some of his photos. .

That said, however, when I get around to my next phone (probably a 950) I intend to get an unbranded phone directly from MS due to the current issues with ATT and firmware updates.
    Penguin apple likes this.
    03-11-2016 05:33 PM
    Just a little follow up on my original story. I was still a little ticked about what had happened so I asked my friend which store he went to. After he told me I looked it up and it appears that it is an AT&T "Authorized Retailer" store and not a real AT&T store which might have something to do with it.
    03-11-2016 05:40 PM
    It's similar in Canada.

Back in 2013, my friend was using an HTC Android phone (the one with dual cameras and the 3D display). He had such a bad experience with the performance of Android and was impressed with my Samsung ATIV S Windows Phone and the Xbox integration. He decided to go into Rogers (Canada's evil equivalent of Comcast) to get a Lumia 920, and the salesperson talked him into a Galaxy S4 instead.

Last year, his Galaxy S4 started running poorly with constant text messaging issues after Rogers rolled out the first modern / metro style of Android (I've lost track of Android version names, lol). He had finally had enough of Android and walked into Rogers demanding a Windows Phone, receiving the Lumia 830. Even then, a salesperson tried to talk him out of the Lumia 830, but he didn't fall for it this time and was adamant that he wanted a Lumia Windows Phone no matter what.

He's been a happy Lumia 830 owner going on for one year now. Problem free.
    03-11-2016 06:36 PM
    The store is there to make money based on what the customer wants to buy.
    I've rarely been in a sales environment where it works that way. I've always been directed to try to sell what makes the most money for the establishment. Making recommendations is pretty common as long as you're courteous about it-wait staff at some restaurants do it all the time.
    Guytronic likes this.
    03-11-2016 06:47 PM
    Things like that just don't make sense to me. If I go into the store looking for a phone, shouldn't they try to find me what I want instead of insulting me and trying to sell me on something I don't want?

When we bought my son his new Lumia 640 for $30 from the Microsoft store he insisted that we have Cricket change out his sim card (I think he wanted to show off his new phone at the store). The lady at Cricket actually said "yuck" when she saw it! He is 11 and was extremely excited to have that phone. He saved up his own money to buy it and was very proud of himself. It really hurt his feelings.

She then said to him "Just so you know we go have the Samsung Galaxy Grand Prime for $29.99 right now". He politely said no thank you and she switched over his sim card. I don't think he will be asking to go back there any time soon.
    That's horrible! How could someone be so inconsiderate....
    Keith White Jr likes this.
    03-11-2016 09:09 PM
    At our att store they had both the 950 and 640xl on display. I was thinking of switching to att. Both are very nice phones.
    03-11-2016 09:32 PM
    Recently I was showing my Lumia 640 off to a friend of mine that had an iPhone 5S. He absolutely loved it and looked genuinely excited to use it. He is also an Xbox gamer and loved the Xbox integration in the phone. He decided that when his contract was up he was going to switch to a Windows Phone.

I saw him again yesterday and he showed me his brand new iPhone 6S Plus. I asked him what happened to switching to Windows? He told me that he had every intention of buying a Lumia 950 XL, but when he got to the store the clerk at AT&T convinced him to stay away form Windows Phones. He told my friend that Windows Phones look nice but are nothing but headaches and after using it for a couple days he would be right back to exchange it for an iPhone or a Galaxy phone. He then told me that the clerk said "I couldn't in good conscience allow you to walk out of here with a phone like that when he have such great phones here."

I was pretty upset at that story and just thought I would share it with everyone...

I guess your friend needs to learn to make up his own mind and then you out and buy what he wants -not what he's told.

Sent from mTalk
    03-11-2016 10:12 PM
    That's just salesman being salesman. Commissions does play a role. I have not really ever purchased a phone from a carrier store location.

I research my phones. Buy them unlocked from manufacturer or cheapest place. Then insert sim or get new sim if required. I get to avoid their sale tactics, save time, and no carrier bloatware.
    03-12-2016 01:51 AM
    I've rarely been in a sales environment where it works that way. I've always been directed to try to sell what makes the most money for the establishment. Making recommendations is pretty common as long as you're courteous about it-wait staff at some restaurants do it all the time.
    That's not how the game goes.. AT&T doesn't really care about where the 600 dollars plus the cost of line access and 2 year commitment comes from. To them its a sale. Beyond that, why should AT&T pay to stock Lumia and then have a floor salesperson tell buyers to leave them on the shelf.
    If they worked for me and I bought 50 thousand dollars worth of product and you tell people not to buy I'd make sure you'd never work at any AT&T store in the state.
    RumoredNow and Penguin apple like this.
    03-12-2016 03:41 AM
    Just a little follow up on my original story. I was still a little ticked about what had happened so I asked my friend which store he went to. After he told me I looked it up and it appears that it is an AT&T "Authorized Retailer" store and not a real AT&T store which might have something to do with it.
    I edited the thread title, since this was not a corporate store.
    03-12-2016 03:46 AM
    That's not how the game goes.. AT&T doesn't really care about where the 600 dollars plus the cost of line access and 2 year commitment comes from. To them its a sale. Beyond that, why should AT&T pay to stock Lumia and then have a floor salesperson tell buyers to leave them on the shelf.
    If they worked for me and I bought 50 thousand dollars worth of product and you tell people not to buy I'd make sure you'd never work at any AT&T store in the state.
    It's not about AT&T caring where the revenue comes from, it's about maximizing revenue; which sometimes depends on the relationship they have with the various OEMs or local distributors. If there is an additional incentive coming to the store, or to the salesperson for selling a given product, it is in their financial interest to push it. If there are more aftermarket accessories for an item which could result in additional sales, they will often push those products. Even if the salesperson does not discourage sales, when I walk by an AT&T store, almost all the advertising I see is directed at the iPhone and Galaxy lines. I'll look again, but can't remember any Lumia advertising. Ironically, the biggest single ad on this page is for the Galaxy S7 Edge.
    Penguin apple likes this.
    03-12-2016 08:32 AM
    I stopped in two at&t stores to look at the 950s. At both stores they discouraged getting the Windows Phone and encouraged something else. Interestingly, when I asked about the features of the phones they were pushing, and sometimes the phone they owned, their knowledge was appallingly poor. For example, when I asked about wireless charging, he told me the phone he had had it. I asked him if it used Qi. He said what is Qi? Sad but true. He then told me he didn't use that feature. I still have my 830, but I feel abandoned by Microsoft and at&t. I am not sure what to do about my next phone.
    Keith White Jr and RumoredNow like this.
    03-12-2016 08:36 AM
    It's like going to a grocery store to buy cheese and the guy at the counter is like "You will poop for days after this cheese, I can't sell it to you, take this cheese instead".

But I'm sure these guys get some sort of compensation or don't want to deal with returns. My guess is there's a high return rate due to all the bugs. Though .164 and latest firmware is extremely stable but you need to be insider to get .164 any ways. Hopefully once MS gets it all under control we will see less of this.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    03-12-2016 09:02 AM
    Sorry to say, I would have done the same....the only reason I'm using my 640 is because i use it as a backup.I currently have a nexus 6 being shipped so I'm stuck with my lumia...
    To be honest I'm already tired of this phone...MULTIPLE crashes while browsing.Camera is effy,keyboard sticks or delays and battery life is jumpy as hell....I don't blame the sales rep.
    03-12-2016 09:13 AM
    I edited the thread title, since this was not a corporate store.
    Thanks Laura. Now I take back my comment.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    03-12-2016 11:27 AM
    Sorry to say, I would have done the same....the only reason I'm using my 640 is because i use it as a backup.I currently have a nexus 6 being shipped so I'm stuck with my lumia...
    To be honest I'm already tired of this phone...MULTIPLE crashes while browsing.Camera is effy,keyboard sticks or delays and battery life is jumpy as hell....I don't blame the sales rep.

On Windows 8.1 or 10?
    03-12-2016 11:57 AM
    I'm on 8.1.... I just 2 crashes just opening this app from my email. Browser just crashed 5 minutes ago as well.
    03-12-2016 12:55 PM
    I'm on 8.1.... I just 2 crashes just opening this app from my email. Browser just crashed 5 minutes ago as well.
    Maybe a move to W10 will help. I updated my 640 to W10 as soon as I turned it on so I have no real experience with 8.1 on that device.
    03-12-2016 01:38 PM
    Your friend was just trying to be nice. He never had any intention of buying a Windows Phone.
    Keith White Jr likes this.
    03-12-2016 01:38 PM
    Your friend was just trying to be nice. He never had any intention of buying a Windows Phone.
    Possibly, but I doubt it. When I just saw him he was again playing with my phone and telling me how much he likes it. Plus he knows that I don't need him to like my phone. If I needed to have a phone that everyone likes, I wouldn't have a Windows Phone lol.
    03-12-2016 01:45 PM
86 1234