AT&T clerk [authorized reseller-not corporate store] doesn't want someone to buy a Lumia...

Robert Tullos

Mar 3, 2016
Visit site
re: AT&T clerk [authorized reseller-not corporate store] doesn't want someone to buy a Lumia...

Hey, we know these are great phones. That's why we use them. I repair cell phones and I can tell you right now that Samsung Galaxy are the most troublesome. The problem with Windows phone is they got in the game late. People complaining about all the problems, some of those are Insiders. ITS BETA SOFTWARE! Dang, be patient and let Microsoft work it out. One things for sure, when they finish with a new OS, or whatever, it far exceeds expectations. To hell with the piles of iPhones and Samsung's. My 640XL LTE does it better, for far cheaper. I could by parts and just build me a Lumia for even less money. And so much freedom with my own device. Let's Windows Phone be carrier free. I'm totally in favor of just buying my phones direct from Microsoft. Since all my devices have gotten the upgrade last month, they all work flawlessly. I'm a customer for life.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
re: AT&T clerk [authorized reseller-not corporate store] doesn't want someone to buy a Lumia...

The problem common to all smartphones running Windows right now is a lack of apps and support from various entities relative to their iOS and android counterparts. But the salesperson could have shown the customer what they requested while asking about their requirements in a phone-then ask if they can show them an alternative. For example, if the customer has or has access to a current iOS or android device, they may have access to all the apps needed through those platforms; thus apps are no longer an issue where this purchase is concerned.

Yup, I should have mentioned that - as for me that is standard practise you demo the phone whilst talking about their options. You just don't blubber to a customer without any form of product or demo unit lol.

poit57

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site

However, back in the day when the 1020 was actually a "thing" with ads on TV, ...the local AT&T corporate store...literally did not stock even a floor sample! In the store the only Lumia phone visible at that time was a 520 hanging on the GoPhone rack in the back of the store in the least obvious location.

...So, in my experience the only way to get to know Windows phones has been to purchase and use them. You can't even examine one in a store most of the time.

I find this shocking, and if these were truly corporate stores, I can only conclude that AT&T either operates very differently in different regions or the marketing director in your area is really bad at his job.

When I worked at AT&T, I was in charge of setting up the demo phones (activating their phone numbers, setting up active email accounts, installing the app that runs the demo video loop when idle) and I was also in charge of placing the demo phones and accessories, store signs, etc., out for display.

The placement of everything in the store was mandated by our regional marketing director. They had floor plans of every store in the area, and they told us exactly where to place each phone and accessory. The iPhones and iPads had custom-built displays, then the rest of the phones were displayed on walls that contained 4 to 6 phones each, grouped by phone type, then by smartphone OS. All GoPhones were together. All basic/flip phones together. All feature phones (non-smartphones with full keyboard or touchscreen) together. Then smartphones were grouped together by OS (Android, Blackberry, Windows Phone). We also had a wall designated to other non-iOS tablets and netbooks.

As for which phones were on display with a live demo, it was every phone we carried in-stores at the time, with few exceptions. Some basic GoPhones were not displayed depending on the number of GoPhones models for sale. We didn't carry any inventory or demo units marketed through the website as online-only offers. On rare occasions, there was a delay in production so we might not have had a demo unit at the launch of some phones.

For the phones in stock, we had a system to automatically replenish our inventory based on 2 week sales trends. Even if we weren't selling any units of a particular item, we would still keep at least 1 unit, usually 2, in stock as long as it was still in production. The exception to this would be if a manufacturer had an item on backorder, which again sometimes happened prior to the launch date, and some color options were by special order only.

By the time the 1020 was released, I was no longer working for the AT&T, but my dad and step-mom both purchased one from my old store. The Lumia 1020 and Lumia 1520 were on the first wall at the front of the store. My dad got the black 1020 and my step-mom had to order a yellow 1020. They also got a discount on a 2520 tablet at the same time, which they had to order in the store as well.

Again, maybe AT&T isn't consistent in their handling of Windows Phones across the country. The sales reps will almost certainly push Android and iPhone the hardest, but I've never experienced a full array of current phone models, regardless of brand/OS, not being at least available for demo in my area.

Ten Four

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site

The only working floor sample of a Windows phone in the USA I have ever seen was that lonely 950 I found in a AT&T store in a mall at Xmas time.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site

I must admit to having few dealings with AT&T stores since I try to order online or I shop sales of unlocked phones at Best Buy. However, back in the day when the 1020 was actually a "thing" with ads on TV, etc. my son got one from the local AT&T corporate store, but it actually required a special order--they literally did not stock even a floor sample! In the store the only Lumia phone visible at that time was a 520 hanging on the GoPhone rack in the back of the store in the least obvious location. They also carried a couple of accessory cases for the 520 and the 1020, but you had to hunt to find them. That is in the corporate store--supposedly the flagship for the area. At holiday time I went into a different AT&T store in the largest busiest shopping mall in the area and they had one 950 on display. That's it. Typically the only Windows phones most of the public ever sees here in the USA are located on the GoPhone rack at WalMart and BestBuy. Anyone who has ever wondered--there is no way to open a GoPhone clamshell to look at or handle the phone. There is almost never a floor sample of a Windows phone on display, but occasionally you will find a 640 GoPhone at Best Buy now. So, in my experience the only way to get to know Windows phones has been to purchase and use them. You can't even examine one in a store most of the time.
Guess I'm lucky. Our ATT store always seems to embrace and display windows phone very nicely. Not hidden (if anything their iPhone is usually hidden in a corner). Usually in the middle of said store.

Ricardo Gonzalez5

Jul 8, 2015
Visit site

Well you are lucky, because you can find windows phone on ATT store, I went to 5 Att store for see the 950 and the people say the do not know about, they say just buy it on-line and see what append.... Terrible Marketing from Microsoft. ATT terrible.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site

I would like to know the name of the store and the rep offering her "opinion" of what people should buy. I would then contact the district manager and report her/him. It is not up to them to determine for the customer what they should or should not choose in that store. The store is there to make money based on what the customer wants to buy. How would it be if they owned a store and the sales team were telling people, "you could get it cheaper from a store around the corner"? They should be fired.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Bottom line. Bad mouthing a product your store has on the shelf for sale is a bad move and shows poor judgment..

There are better ways to steer a sale AND keep your establishment looking professional.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site

Thing is the story is second hand.
Who knows what was really said.

My experience in competing carrier stores has always been good not that I do much with carriers.
I've never been pushed or coerced in any way.
Then again maybe I look like someone you wouldn't say no to.

mggm100

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site

The ATT store I use always seems to have staff who are not only knowledgeable about Windows phones, but also use them personally. In fact, this has happened in two different ATT stores. When I bought my 1020, the sales rep pulled his 1520 out to show me something he does on his phone. (I just didn't want something that large). That particular 1020 had a camera issue and had to be replaced. Yellow was hard to find, but there was one at a different ATT store across town. After I was done with the swap, the person who helped me pulled a black 1020 out of his pocket to show me some of his photos. .

That said, however, when I get around to my next phone (probably a 950) I intend to get an unbranded phone directly from MS due to the current issues with ATT and firmware updates.

Keith White Jr

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

Just a little follow up on my original story. I was still a little ticked about what had happened so I asked my friend which store he went to. After he told me I looked it up and it appears that it is an AT&T "Authorized Retailer" store and not a real AT&T store which might have something to do with it.

RJ Priest

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site

It's similar in Canada.

Back in 2013, my friend was using an HTC Android phone (the one with dual cameras and the 3D display). He had such a bad experience with the performance of Android and was impressed with my Samsung ATIV S Windows Phone and the Xbox integration. He decided to go into Rogers (Canada's evil equivalent of Comcast) to get a Lumia 920, and the salesperson talked him into a Galaxy S4 instead.

Last year, his Galaxy S4 started running poorly with constant text messaging issues after Rogers rolled out the first modern / metro style of Android (I've lost track of Android version names, lol). He had finally had enough of Android and walked into Rogers demanding a Windows Phone, receiving the Lumia 830. Even then, a salesperson tried to talk him out of the Lumia 830, but he didn't fall for it this time and was adamant that he wanted a Lumia Windows Phone no matter what.

He's been a happy Lumia 830 owner going on for one year now. Problem free.

GMC262

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site

The store is there to make money based on what the customer wants to buy.

I've rarely been in a sales environment where it works that way. I've always been directed to try to sell what makes the most money for the establishment. Making recommendations is pretty common as long as you're courteous about it-wait staff at some restaurants do it all the time.

ML10

Jan 20, 2015
Visit site

Things like that just don't make sense to me. If I go into the store looking for a phone, shouldn't they try to find me what I want instead of insulting me and trying to sell me on something I don't want?

When we bought my son his new Lumia 640 for $30 from the Microsoft store he insisted that we have Cricket change out his sim card (I think he wanted to show off his new phone at the store). The lady at Cricket actually said "yuck" when she saw it! He is 11 and was extremely excited to have that phone. He saved up his own money to buy it and was very proud of himself. It really hurt his feelings.

She then said to him "Just so you know we go have the Samsung Galaxy Grand Prime for $29.99 right now". He politely said no thank you and she switched over his sim card. I don't think he will be asking to go back there any time soon.

That's horrible! How could someone be so inconsiderate....

groady-ho baluzy

Feb 10, 2016
Visit site

At our att store they had both the 950 and 640xl on display. I was thinking of switching to att. Both are very nice phones.

mrmobileperformance

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site

Recently I was showing my Lumia 640 off to a friend of mine that had an iPhone 5S. He absolutely loved it and looked genuinely excited to use it. He is also an Xbox gamer and loved the Xbox integration in the phone. He decided that when his contract was up he was going to switch to a Windows Phone.

I saw him again yesterday and he showed me his brand new iPhone 6S Plus. I asked him what happened to switching to Windows? He told me that he had every intention of buying a Lumia 950 XL, but when he got to the store the clerk at AT&T convinced him to stay away form Windows Phones. He told my friend that Windows Phones look nice but are nothing but headaches and after using it for a couple days he would be right back to exchange it for an iPhone or a Galaxy phone. He then told me that the clerk said "I couldn't in good conscience allow you to walk out of here with a phone like that when he have such great phones here."

I was pretty upset at that story and just thought I would share it with everyone...

I guess your friend needs to learn to make up his own mind and then you out and buy what he wants -not what he's told.

Sent from mTalk

midnightfrolic

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site

That's just salesman being salesman. Commissions does play a role. I have not really ever purchased a phone from a carrier store location.

I research my phones. Buy them unlocked from manufacturer or cheapest place. Then insert sim or get new sim if required. I get to avoid their sale tactics, save time, and no carrier bloatware.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site

I've rarely been in a sales environment where it works that way. I've always been directed to try to sell what makes the most money for the establishment. Making recommendations is pretty common as long as you're courteous about it-wait staff at some restaurants do it all the time.
That's not how the game goes.. AT&T doesn't really care about where the 600 dollars plus the cost of line access and 2 year commitment comes from. To them its a sale. Beyond that, why should AT&T pay to stock Lumia and then have a floor salesperson tell buyers to leave them on the shelf.
If they worked for me and I bought 50 thousand dollars worth of product and you tell people not to buy I'd make sure you'd never work at any AT&T store in the state.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Just a little follow up on my original story. I was still a little ticked about what had happened so I asked my friend which store he went to. After he told me I looked it up and it appears that it is an AT&T "Authorized Retailer" store and not a real AT&T store which might have something to do with it.
I edited the thread title, since this was not a corporate store.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss