02-08-2017 09:45 AM
86 ... 234
tools
    I certainly hope so on both. I personally think it's the reason why salespeople are hesitant about showing people Windows phones. Even if most people use less than a dozen apps, not having that app support is the single deal-breaker for the people I've talked to. I have a friend who won't consider a Windows phone, not because of the design, but because he can't get the Steam app on it.
    Good example! Also, I did forget to bring up Google's apps. People are very dependent on them, and even if MS offers an equivalent, most users won't switch without access to Google Maps and YouTube. MS needs to make these apps, following all of Google's rules, then Google can't block them. Even if Google makes them bend over...backward, they need to get these apps on W10M. I used "Maps" on my 640 to navigate over the weekend. I stopped at a shopping plaza to get gas at Sam's club, and it was completely confused, treated it as a dead end road. Google maps knows that plaza and can re-route through it, no problem.
    03-14-2016 03:00 PM
    I used "Maps" on my 640 to navigate over the weekend. I stopped at a shopping plaza to get gas at Sam's club, and it was completely confused, treated it as a dead end road. Google maps knows that plaza and can re-route through it, no problem.
    Counterpoint--I was trying to help someone who was lost. He was using Google maps and I was using Maps on my Lumia 640. Maps worked perfectly, but Google steered him wrong. Frankly, I have found major errors on every map app I have tried. I keep reading that Google maps is superior, but I think someone would have to conduct some serious testing side-by-side all over the country on various types of roads, in cities, etc. before I would feel comfortable saying one is better than another. I know people who have used Google maps to find "summer only" roads they shouldn't be on in the middle of the winter, who have ended up in the middle of a farmer's field while looking for a shop, and the place I used to work was misplaced by about half a mile for years.

But, I understand that people use and love Google apps and services. I find most of them pretty clunky compared to equivalent Microsoft ones. The best of the lot is Drive, which allows the creation and editing of documents in near real time when collaborating. I find the online version of Word has so much lag that it is very frustrating trying to write and edit anything. Google photos is pretty good, but OneDrive works very well too for photo storage--in some ways better. I prefer the interface of Outlook.com to Gmail. Just the Sweep function is worth it alone. All of the Office apps work nearly seemlessly with my work programs I need to use nearly every day. Skype for Business is our tool at work for chat, and I have that on the phone along with my Exchange email that is the heart of everything we do at work. Both work flawlessly for me. Point being that maybe some of the people wedded to Google apps and services might find the Microsoft alternatives to their liking if they just tried them.
    RumoredNow and InsGadget like this.
    03-15-2016 10:04 AM
    That's why a I don't mind getting an att phone, but I won't get service. Sit for a bit and read the forums. It's a blood bath. But MS should take some blame. Here's an easy fix. Since art is lazy about supporting the software, take it out of their hands. Don't release an update until it is completely ready for every device, OEM, blah blah. Don't get everyone losing their minds, when neither one is read. Then roll it out to every device, every customer, yada. AT THE SAME TIME. Or time frame. Some people were still on Amber! Insane. Or sell them unlocked with no carrier branding. These phones stand on their own without Android and iOS. Market them that way too.
    03-15-2016 12:58 PM
    Google maps have been pretty good for me, at least for the past few years. Maybe 2 1/2 yrs back they had an update that made it completely unusable. It got flamed hard in the ratings and comments, and got fixed in a month or so. Also, MS Maps did get where me to my destination, and it did pick a better route than the last time I went using Google Maps. I'm just pointing out that they don't have quite the same detail in their maps that Google does. All those GPS equipped streetview cars really add up to one heck of a database, at least in the US
    03-15-2016 01:01 PM
    Another thing, it's funny to me, but I can get any app to do what any Android app would do. And API? Need I say more? I have 592 apps on my my 640 XL with 18gb total still free. The other platforms can't do that on their best day.
    03-15-2016 01:09 PM
    I do the same! I drive my wife crazy with all the research I do lol
    03-16-2016 09:41 AM
    I also checked-in to a retail store 2 months ago,so as to price windows phone, the sales-rep thinking I'm one of those kids that toy with android asked me "WHY NOT ANDROID?", my reply shocked him as I said "I HATE ANDROID"... I got good news for African windowsphone lovers though
    03-16-2016 01:22 PM
    Sounds like the AT&T clerk is a better friend than you are.
    03-30-2016 09:39 PM
    Actually had a decent experience at an authorized re-seller last week. I went in and asked to order a Lumia 950, and the woman there didn't give me a funny look OR try to talk me out of it! Amazing, lol. What was funny was that they had two "950s" on display. Neither were working models, and I put 950 in quotation marks, because 1 was obviously an old 1520 display, AND it said 950 on the display, and had the old pricing on it. On the plus side, she was able to order me a NEW 950, when the web store would only let me order a refurbished one.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    02-06-2017 12:42 PM
    Actually had a decent experience at an authorized re-seller last week. I went in and asked to order a Lumia 950, and the woman there didn't give me a funny look OR try to talk me out of it! Amazing, lol. What was funny was that they had two "950s" on display. Neither were working models, and I put 950 in quotation marks, because 1 was obviously an old 1520 display, AND it said 950 on the display, and had the old pricing on it. On the plus side, she was able to order me a NEW 950, when the web store would only let me order a refurbished one.
    Really? How much are they charging you, if you don't mind me asking?
    02-08-2017 08:12 AM
    No problem, it was 298 or 299? So basically 300. If you get a refurb from the web site it's ~$250. They dropped the new ones from the site, but this store at least was able to get a new one.

I should mention that when I received it, the box was open, and the packaging had been shuffled around. So I got ticked, and assumed it was a refurb. But the device was completely scratch free, and the battery pouch was still taped. I called AT&T, and got bumped up to someone who spoke english, lol. She was very nice and helpful, and was able to check that the IMEI number was never registered to anyone before, so it wasn't even a "restocked" phone that was returned. She said that the stores returned all of their stock of 950s, and that it was likely in a store, where someone had opened it to look at it and changed their mind, or that the rep grabbed the wrong color. Speaking of color, white was the only option available. But I'm casing it, so no big deal. A corporate store might be able to get a black one, but even if you aren't putting a case on it, the back is swap-able anyway.

Last I looked MS had them online new, but white was also the only option, and no financing available. I went through AT&T, and decided to just finance it, and drop my device insurance, since my old S5A phone still works. My monthly payment is almost identical, and if this breaks, I can just use my old one until I can get something newer. You need a Nano-SIM for the 950, so if I do have to go back, I can just put it in an adapter.
    Keith White Jr and RumoredNow like this.
    02-08-2017 09:45 AM
86 ... 234