AT&T clerk [authorized reseller-not corporate store] doesn't want someone to buy a Lumia...

Keith White Jr

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Recently I was showing my Lumia 640 off to a friend of mine that had an iPhone 5S. He absolutely loved it and looked genuinely excited to use it. He is also an Xbox gamer and loved the Xbox integration in the phone. He decided that when his contract was up he was going to switch to a Windows Phone.

I saw him again yesterday and he showed me his brand new iPhone 6S Plus. I asked him what happened to switching to Windows? He told me that he had every intention of buying a Lumia 950 XL, but when he got to the store the clerk at AT&T convinced him to stay away form Windows Phones. He told my friend that Windows Phones look nice but are nothing but headaches and after using it for a couple days he would be right back to exchange it for an iPhone or a Galaxy phone. He then told me that the clerk said "I couldn't in good conscience allow you to walk out of here with a phone like that when he have such great phones here."

I was pretty upset at that story and just thought I would share it with everyone...

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
re: AT&T clerk [authorized reseller-not corporate store] doesn't want someone to buy a Lumia...

Recently I was showing my Lumia 640 off to a friend of mine that had an iPhone 5S. He absolutely loved it and looked genuinely excited to use it. He is also an Xbox gamer and loved the Xbox integration in the phone. He decided that when his contract was up he was going to switch to a Windows Phone.

I saw him again yesterday and he showed me his brand new iPhone 6S Plus. I asked him what happened to switching to Windows? He told me that he had every intention of buying a Lumia 950 XL, but when he got to the store the clerk at AT&T convinced him to stay away form Windows Phones. He told my friend that Windows Phones look nice but are nothing but headaches and after using it for a couple days he would be right back to exchange it for an iPhone or a Galaxy phone. He then told me that the clerk said "I couldn't in good conscience allow you to walk out of here with a phone like that when he have such great phones here."

I was pretty upset at that story and just thought I would share it with everyone...

There's a long list of AT&T iussues affecting ONLY their branded Lumias :( Things working all over the rest of the planet

Last edited:

Ten Four

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
re: AT&T clerk [authorized reseller-not corporate store] doesn't want someone to buy a Lumia...

Personally, I think AT&T has never done Windows Phone any favors except maybe on the GoPhone side. Microsoft should just sell them direct and through major retailers, and unlocked, at this point and skip the carriers. Treat them more like Google Nexus phones.

poit57

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site

I worked in an AT&T retail store for several years (from first iPhone launch through the first year of Windows Phone 7). Despite being trained on every device and being trained to sell to a customer's needs, most sales reps sadly tend to sell what they personally like.

A few months after I left that job, I happened to call my mom while she was at my old store shopping for an upgrade. I recommended looking at Windows Phone. I don't remember what models were out at the time, but I had previously demonstrated my phone to her.

My mom was carrying an iPhone 3G at the time. She mentioned that to the sales rep, one of my former co-workers, who said that she would slap me because she thought my suggestion to my mom must be a joke. My mom ended up with an iPhone 4.

Just a few months ago, I finally got my mom to switch from an iPhone 5 to a Lumia 640. She likes the phone and operating system just fine, but the biggest reason she made the switch was because she wanted a bigger screen and couldn't justify the price of an iPhone 6 or 6 Plus. She was always one generation behind on the iPhones because that is all she could afford with a 2-year contract through AT&T.

Keith White Jr

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

I worked in an AT&T retail store for several years (from first iPhone launch through the first year of Windows Phone 7). Despite being trained on every device and being trained to sell to a customer's needs, most sales reps sadly tend to sell what they personally like.

A few months after I left that job, I happened to call my mom while she was at my old store shopping for an upgrade. I recommended looking at Windows Phone. I don't remember what models were out at the time, but I had previously demonstrated my phone to her.

My mom was carrying an iPhone 3G at the time. She mentioned that to the sales rep, one of my former co-workers, who said that she would slap me because she thought my suggestion to my mom must be a joke. My mom ended up with an iPhone 4.

Just a few months ago, I finally got my mom to switch from an iPhone 5 to a Lumia 640. She likes the phone and operating system just fine, but the biggest reason she made the switch was because she wanted a bigger screen and couldn't justify the price of an iPhone 6 or 6 Plus. She was always one generation behind on the iPhones because that is all she could afford with a 2-year contract through AT&T.

Things like that just don't make sense to me. If I go into the store looking for a phone, shouldn't they try to find me what I want instead of insulting me and trying to sell me on something I don't want?

When we bought my son his new Lumia 640 for $30 from the Microsoft store he insisted that we have Cricket change out his sim card (I think he wanted to show off his new phone at the store). The lady at Cricket actually said "yuck" when she saw it! He is 11 and was extremely excited to have that phone. He saved up his own money to buy it and was very proud of himself. It really hurt his feelings.

She then said to him "Just so you know we go have the Samsung Galaxy Grand Prime for $29.99 right now". He politely said no thank you and she switched over his sim card. I don't think he will be asking to go back there any time soon.

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site

Things like that just don't make sense to me. If I go into the store looking for a phone, shouldn't they try to find me what I want instead of insulting me and trying to sell me on something I don't want?

When we bought my son his new Lumia 640 for $30 from the Microsoft store he insisted that we have Cricket change out his sim card (I think he wanted to show off his new phone at the store). The lady at Cricket actually said "yuck" when she saw it! He is 11 and was extremely excited to have that phone. He saved up his own money to buy it and was very proud of himself. It really hurt his feelings.

She then said to him "Just so you know we go have the Samsung Galaxy Grand Prime for $29.99 right now". He politely said no thank you and she switched over his sim card. I don't think he will be asking to go back there any time soon.

ROTFL:grincry: "Give that kid a chocolate medal!" (cit. Obama)

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site

She would have gotten cussed out and reported.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site

Personally, I think AT&T has never done Windows Phone any favors except maybe on the GoPhone side. Microsoft should just sell them direct and through major retailers, and unlocked, at this point and skip the carriers. Treat them more like Google Nexus phones.

I disagree. Slow as they may be with the updates but they are the only carrier who embraced windows phone. Tmobile, sprint and especially Verizon wre far worse.

Without ATT I may have never gotten wonderful phones like my old 1020 and 1520.

They do alright if you overlook the 830 and 950

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

...the clerk said "I couldn't in good conscience allow you to walk out of here with a phone like that when he have such great phones here."

Translation: "I don't really hear what you want. I want to get a commission and these are the phones that get me​ more money."

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Personally, I think AT&T has never done Windows Phone any favors...

Between AT&T and Cricket (which AT&T owns 100%), their sales account for 50% of the Windows Phones in use in the US.

While AT&T might do more, no other US carrier has.

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site

It's getting harder to find reasons to buy a Windows Phone now (unless it's a cheap 640) but the recommendations of some lowly AT&T clerk is near the bottom of the barrel.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site

It's not the only time this happened and won't be the last unfortunately.

Plus it's not just isolated to the US alone either.

extrikate

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site

As someone who has used only Windows Mobile/Phone products for the last decade, I can't condemn the AT&T rep. These forums are comprised a passionate owners, who love Windows Phone. That said, there are several threads/posts of people who are unhappy with their 950/950XL and are talking about taking them back.

Imagine you were a customer service rep, and you saw a greater percentage of customers complaining of or returning their Windows Phones more than iPhones and Android. Is it unreasonable to warn them that the satisfaction rate, from your observations, is lower than other devices?

Most in these forums complain about: wanting more apps, developers to update their apps, apps to be as nice as they are on iOS, battery life, wifi, Bluetooth, etc. We are all fans of the phones and this is what WE are saying. Imagine the experience of users who just want something they don't have to wait on an update to use. Non WP fans are more likely to return their devices, especially when we have WP fans switching too.

Just something to chew on.

Keith White Jr

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

But AT&T doesn't sell the Lumia 950 XL.
Hmm.

You're right! I hadn't even realized that myself until now.

As someone new to Windows Phone, he probably didn't know that going into the store. But the clerk could have shown him the 950, the 640XL or whatever WP units they had.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site

As someone who has used only Windows Mobile/Phone products for the last decade, I can't condemn the AT&T rep. These forums are comprised a passionate owners, who love Windows Phone. That said, there are several threads/posts of people who are unhappy with their 950/950XL and are talking about taking them back.

Imagine you were a customer service rep, and you saw a greater percentage of customers complaining of or returning their Windows Phones more than iPhones and Android. Is it unreasonable to warn them that the satisfaction rate, from your observations, is lower than other devices?

Most in these forums complain about: wanting more apps, developers to update their apps, apps to be as nice as they are on iOS, battery life, wifi, Bluetooth, etc. We are all fans of the phones and this is what WE are saying. Imagine the experience of users who just want something they don't have to wait on an update to use. Non WP fans are more likely to return their devices, especially when we have WP fans switching too.

Just something to chew on.

There are two ways to handle this situation, one being not giving the customer any options and the other informing the customer of what you've noticed (which is anecdotal as not everyone has the same issues - so by extension it doesn't mean all phones will exhibit the same unless it's a design flaw.)

If they want to purchase the phone or get it on contract It's upto them and they can under the return policy would have the ability to return it within the specified time frame in the aforesaid policy providing the phone is not damaged in any shape or form.

Otherwise they would incur a restocking fee (if applicable) or alternatively they could choose what they have to offer

Sure by mentioning to a customer they can effectively cancel is frowned upon by the higher ups however if you are truthful, honest and genuine (body language, tone and enthusiasm also plays a role here) - people see that and will want to deal with you going forward therefore creating a brand loyal customer.

Each rep is the face of their brand and their actions is what defines a customer's association to that brand.

Having said that, we don't know what the rep said as we only have one side of the story as only the rep and the OP's friend were present.

extrikate

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site

AT&T currently has 27 smartphones available that have customer reviews. Of those, 40% have better ratings than the Lumia 950 and 640 with more than 1,000 reviews.

My point is, if the rep says that customers are happier with other phones, this is supported by the reviews. If a customer is adamant that they want a WP then the rep is unlikely to change their mind. However, if they say they want to see a WP and start asking questions then the rep is going to offer their perspective. That is just the nature of sales.

Ten Four

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site

I must admit to having few dealings with AT&T stores since I try to order online or I shop sales of unlocked phones at Best Buy. However, back in the day when the 1020 was actually a "thing" with ads on TV, etc. my son got one from the local AT&T corporate store, but it actually required a special order--they literally did not stock even a floor sample! In the store the only Lumia phone visible at that time was a 520 hanging on the GoPhone rack in the back of the store in the least obvious location. They also carried a couple of accessory cases for the 520 and the 1020, but you had to hunt to find them. That is in the corporate store--supposedly the flagship for the area. At holiday time I went into a different AT&T store in the largest busiest shopping mall in the area and they had one 950 on display. That's it. Typically the only Windows phones most of the public ever sees here in the USA are located on the GoPhone rack at WalMart and BestBuy. Anyone who has ever wondered--there is no way to open a GoPhone clamshell to look at or handle the phone. There is almost never a floor sample of a Windows phone on display, but occasionally you will find a 640 GoPhone at Best Buy now. So, in my experience the only way to get to know Windows phones has been to purchase and use them. You can't even examine one in a store most of the time.

GMC262

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site

There are two ways to handle this situation, one being not giving the customer any options and the other informing the customer of what you've noticed (which is anecdotal as not everyone has the same issues - so by extension it doesn't mean all phones will exhibit the same unless it's a design flaw.)

The problem common to all smartphones running Windows right now is a lack of apps and support from various entities relative to their iOS and android counterparts. But the salesperson could have shown the customer what they requested while asking about their requirements in a phone-then ask if they can show them an alternative. For example, if the customer has or has access to a current iOS or android device, they may have access to all the apps needed through those platforms; thus apps are no longer an issue where this purchase is concerned.

Last edited:

Ten Four

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site

But the salesperson could have shown the customer what they requested while asking about their requirements in a phone-then ask if they can show them an alternative.
Unfortunately, the typical salesperson in any store is probably less knowledgeable about phones than the typical person reading these forums. Most are not paid much, have little training, aren't really that interested in learning, and are obviously looking for a better job. Whenever I am in the electronics section of any store I hear misinformation coming from store clerks. It really doesn't matter for most people because they just go with whatever carrier and phones are recommended by family/friends, which is probably not a bad idea unless you do your own research. Frankly, a Windows phone is not a good idea for most people who care more about having the same apps and services as their friends/family, who are not likely to be using Windows.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa