Sprint/Boost killed off all Windows Phones in lineup??

JuannyBooBoo

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
So, I checked the Boost Mobile phone page just now to see if it was still just the Lumia 635 available, and, lo and behold... THERE IS NO LUMIA 635 LISTED ANYMORE. :shocked:

To see if this is also a Sprint (aside from Boost) move, I checked the Sprint phones page, and there's no Windows phones there either!! (Not sure if there wasn't before, as I keep an eye on Boost a lot more. The L635 was listed as for sale on Boost's webpage as of a month or so ago...)

I have my doubts that Sprint will pick up the new models...so... I guess it's decision time for me, when it's time for a new phone.. Probably will go Cricket or MetroPCS at that point...

Last edited:

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Sprint's support of WP8.x has been tepid at best, Verizon was a step up.

However there has been a flurry of OEM activity as of late so who knows they might pick up one of those.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Cricket = ATT towers and coverage area map.

MetroPCS = T-Mo towers and coverage map.

Any ATT branded phone will work on Cricket including ATT/Cricket/GoPhone/etc... And almost any Factory Unlocked phone for North America has ATT frequencies on board. Metro/T-Mo is going to limit your choices a bit when it comes to Windows Phone.

Cricket is supposed to have Lumia 650 starting in April.

$30 Lumia 640 available right now at Best Buy and Walmart will run on Cricket without an unlock. It takes the Windows 10 Mobile Insider and is very stable on Release ring 10586.164. I've been running just that daily for 3 weeks with no issues. Locked GoPhone 640, Cricket SIM, Insider Release ring...

C'mon in. The water's fine.

JuannyBooBoo

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
$30 Lumia 640 available right now at Best Buy and Walmart will run on Cricket without an unlock. It takes the Windows 10 Mobile Insider and is very stable on Release ring 10586.164. I've been running just that daily for 3 weeks with no issues. Locked GoPhone 640, Cricket SIM, Insider Release ring...

Thanks, RumoredNow, for confirmation that the water's fine over there. :cool: I was surprised to hear that an AT&T locked 640 will play nice on Cricket, w/o modification. As my L635 is still chugging along fine, and there's not a big difference in specs, I'm gonna hang on my 635 for now, and wait for the official GA release. I tried out 10586.63 a while back, and it was not baked enough for my use.

Cricket is sounding like my best bet for my next move, if I decide to stick w/ WinPho/Mo. Thx!

Last edited:

RUCKUS_US

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site
Cricket would be a better move no matter what. Sprint is trash compared to the other carriers. Horrible. Metro pcs or cricket will be way way better than what you're used to

Sent from mTalk

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
As my L635 is still chugging along fine, and there's not a big difference in specs, I'm gonna hang on my 635 for now...

My In-Laws have a pair of 635's and I'm their IT guy, so I'm pretty familiar.

Nokia Lumia 635 vs. Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE - GSMArena.com

For $30 I think it's worth the move.

• Bigger screen that gives you 720p vs 480p and also approaches that sweet spot of 300ppi
  • 1GB RAM vs the 512MB 635 gives
  • 8MP + Flash rear camera vs 5MP no flash
  • Adds a front facing camera
  • Better sensor package
  • Larger battery and more standby/run time

JuannyBooBoo

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
Cricket would be a better move no matter what. Sprint is trash compared to the other carriers. Horrible. Metro pcs or cricket will be way way better than what you're used to

Ahh, this is where location, location, location, comes into play. Where I work, T-mobile is complete crap. I used to have T-mobile, years ago, and you can't hold a call for more than 30 seconds. Often it won't even ring. I know that it's still crap, b/c a coworker or two still has it, and they confirm that it sucks. AT&T is acceptable, most of the building, but Sprint still comes in a little better.

I probably would have still been on T-mo, had I not begun working where I work. :)

I agree, though, that the Sprint network is not great. Their "LTE" speeds are often, at best, decently fast 3G. Quite often, it's slow 3G speeds. In everywhere except for our building, other people on the other 3 carriers routinely get wayyy faster Speedtest results. Aside from the above mentioned reception, it's the stupendous pricing that Boost offers ($30/mo for 2GB w/ auto-pay, growing to 5GB) that keeps me there. Now, though, it may be their lack of WinPhones that drives me away...

JuannyBooBoo

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
My In-Laws have a pair of 635's and I'm their IT guy, so I'm pretty familiar.

Nokia Lumia 635 vs. Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE - GSMArena.com

For $30 I think it's worth the move.

• Bigger screen that gives you 720p vs 480p and also approaches that sweet spot of 300ppi
  • 1GB RAM vs the 512MB 635 gives
  • 8MP + Flash rear camera vs 5MP no flash
  • Adds a front facing camera
  • Better sensor package
  • Larger battery and more standby/run time

I'm my family's IT guy as well (and an actual one by profession. lol), and I probably would be helping my folks w/ smartphones, if they had any such interest.

Yes, all those specs you listed are nice incremental upgrades. Nothing revolutionary, compared to the 635, though. The rub is that in order to take advantage, I'd have to change carriers. T-mo is no good at my work, and Cricket, well, that'd add $5/mo to my bill. In fact though, I have a 1GB RAM 635, so CPU & RAM, it's one-for-one.

If it were a one-time $30 purchase, I agree, RumoredNow, it could definitely be worth it. But, that small bump in specs would cost me $30 up front, then +$5/mo. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
With Cricket, bundling helps.

Myself, my wife, mother and father in law. Bundled together it's 4 lines with 2.5 GB high speed data for $25 a line, no tax or anything added. $100 flat a month.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
With Cricket, bundling helps.

Myself, my wife, mother and father in law. Bundled together it's 4 lines with 2.5 GB high speed data for $25 a line, no tax or anything added. $100 flat a month.

One of my colleagues has the same plan, but with 5 lines. I think they're paying $110 all in ($22/line). The value cannot be beat!

RUCKUS_US

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site
Ahh, this is where location, location, location, comes into play. Where I work, T-mobile is complete crap. I used to have T-mobile, years ago, and you can't hold a call for more than 30 seconds. Often it won't even ring. I know that it's still crap, b/c a coworker or two still has it, and they confirm that it sucks. AT&T is acceptable, most of the building, but Sprint still comes in a little better.

I probably would have still been on T-mo, had I not begun working where I work. :)

I agree, though, that the Sprint network is not great. Their "LTE" speeds are often, at best, decently fast 3G. Quite often, it's slow 3G speeds. In everywhere except for our building, other people on the other 3 carriers routinely get wayyy faster Speedtest results. Aside from the above mentioned reception, it's the stupendous pricing that Boost offers ($30/mo for 2GB w/ auto-pay, growing to 5GB) that keeps me there. Now, though, it may be their lack of WinPhones that drives me away...

You get what you Pay for.

Sent from mTalk

RUCKUS_US

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site
I'm my family's IT guy as well (and an actual one by profession. lol), and I probably would be helping my folks w/ smartphones, if they had any such interest.

Yes, all those specs you listed are nice incremental upgrades. Nothing revolutionary, compared to the 635, though. The rub is that in order to take advantage, I'd have to change carriers. T-mo is no good at my work, and Cricket, well, that'd add $5/mo to my bill. In fact though, I have a 1GB RAM 635, so CPU & RAM, it's one-for-one.

If it were a one-time $30 purchase, I agree, RumoredNow, it could definitely be worth it. But, that small bump in specs would cost me $30 up front, then +$5/mo. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Stick with your phone and carrier if 5$ a month is a big hit for you. And I wouldn't recommend upgrading either because that means more money.... If you want a nice reliable phone and network you've got to compromise on the money part a little. And if you buy a cheap phone I wouldn't expect a grand experience from it either. You get what you pay for. I can say that the Lumia 640 is a great choice for a cheap phone that performs amazingly especially on w10m

Sent from mTalk

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
One of my colleagues has the same plan, but with 5 lines. I think they're paying $110 all in ($22/line). The value cannot be beat!

The plan starts at $40, each line bundled in gets more deducted. -$10 for the second, -$20 for the third, -$30, then -$40... Technically I can get a 5th line free, I just don;t have a use for it.

$40
$30
$20
$10
$00
--------
$100

For the extra $10, someone probably has tethering.

slooksterpsv

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
I'm a strong advocate for unlocked phones, which generally, Microsoft ones are (or were?). The Lumia 521 on Brightspot which was a T-Mobile provider was unlocked from the get-go. Unfortunately, with Sprint, they usually sell phones with built-in SIMs or ways to lock the phone to their service. I highly recommend switching to a carrier like T-Mobile or ATT. Verizon isn't bad, just check your area.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077