Cricket Has New Style SIM Cards

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Hey Hey...

For those that don't know...

Cricket runs on AT&T towers. Effective January 1st, 2017 AT&T retired their 2G network so they could shift that capacity into 3G and LTE.

[NOTE]This has obviated dual SIM use where the standby slot is 2G by default. Dual SIM functionality won't be restored unless Microsoft pushes a fix to make the standby slot 3G by default. I have no idea on the status of that fix or if it is even planned. Dual SIM users shut out by this issue should vociferously express their concerns using Feedback.[/NOTE]

HOWEVER, if you have been having any network glitches since the first of the year (SMS/MMS, VVM, dropped calls, poor signal, etc.) you should go to your local Cricket store, if you have one, and request a new style SIM.

If you don't have a local store, go online and start a chat with their help desk and ask that a new style SIM be sent to you.

There should not be any charge for this and if they attempt to charge you get it waived.

camaroz1985

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
It shouldn't be so hard. I tried this via a chat, and they told me that I needed to buy a new SIM. When I pushed back saying I shouldn't be charged they kept telling me that they didn't have a free replacement SIM that I would have to buy one. I told them that if I had to buy a SIM, that it wouldn't be for Cricket's service, and then miraculously they were willing to credit my account the cost of a new SIM. Funny how that works...

barotropic

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
...they were willing to credit my account the cost of a new SIM. Funny how that works...

It's been a couple of weeks, and I'm very curious. Did the new SIM change/improve anything?

We have a local Cricket Wireless store, and I asked for a single replacement card, for troubleshooting, after describing the issues that started about a month ago:
-- Built-in VVM stopped working
--several apps refuse to work when only cellular data is available, including MyRadar, Speedtest.net, and a few others. Web browsing and most other apps are unaffected.

The Cricket rep's adamant answer was, "sorry I can only sell you a SIM card". I was polite, but insisted that I would not pay for it, because I am not getting proper service at the moment. She offered a discount. I told her that there is a principle involved, and that rather than paying ANY amount for a new SIM card, I would take all 5 phones to another carrier. She wouldn't budge.

I haven't had time to try Cricket's phone/chat support, but I intend to do that before I actually pack up and leave. Just ONE SIM card, so that I can troubleshoot!

Cricket is an amazing value, so I really would not want to switch - excellent coverage, and acceptable data speed at a really low price, with no obligation beyond the current month. But I must say, from what I've seen in a few incidents, their customer service is very weak.

Sent from mTalk

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
We have a local Cricket Wireless store, and I asked for a single replacement card, for troubleshooting, after describing the issues that started about a month ago:
-- Built-in VVM stopped working
--several apps refuse to work when only cellular data is available, including MyRadar, Speedtest.net, and a few others. Web browsing and most other apps are unaffected.

The Cricket rep's adamant answer was, "sorry I can only sell you a SIM card"

Where I am, Springfield Missouri, the stores are all run under the same franchisee - Gateway Wireless. They run from Western IL, all through MO and out into KS and OK. They always give the SIM free in their stores.

There really is no excuse for charging if it solves your service issue. I'd have pressed to speak with a manager. They should be able to coupon it off in their system so it activates at no cost. They do have to ring it through as a sale to activate it though. Maybe the rep was ill informed. Seems to happen all the time in retail now.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGluco2