Cricket, New Style SIM and Network Issues Roundup (Stay Grandfathered)

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Sort of a one-year-in recap with some new information to follow up on the previous thread.

So I've just been through all of this for my in-laws. They never got the new style SIM last year and they were having issues like selective apps not accessing internet while others would do so perfectly well, short code nags about voicemail, MMS failures. I updated their SIMS, got them on new hardware and migrated them from WP8.1 to W10M.

Cricket stores seem unable to swap your SIM any longer unless they slam you off the grandfathered plan ($100 max group save discount) to the new plans ($70 max group save discount). Also the new plans have fewer tiers eliminating choice and value.

Old style SIMs are not playing nice with the new network configurations for WP/W10M devices. If you didn't go into the store last year and get your new style SIM for free and now your service is glitchy it behooves you to fix it ASAP before this current method ceases to work. Note that this seems to be only related to Windows Phone and Windows 10 mobile. My wife only runs Android and her old style SIM is still chugging along for her. I had issues last year (January 2017) on W10M and the new style SIM fixed me up. The in-laws never told me that when they went to the Cricket store (as I suggested) that the store told them they don't need a new SIM. I would have gone in with them and insisted they get new SIMs for free.

Here is how you get a new style SIM and stay on your grandfathered plan:
  • Yep, it's gonna cost you a couple bucks. IMHO the peace of mind is worth it.
  • You have to get the new style SIM from a 3rd party seller. You can find some local retailers that carry them. I went to Amazon and got a deal by getting them as "Add-On Items" that don't ship until you purchase something else in a qualifying order. See this link. You also need to be a Prime member to get this deal. I paid $5.45 each and today they are only $3.75. It pays to keep your eyes open on this deal. MSRP is $9.99 each.
  • Make sure you are getting the BYOD 2.0 kit. Otherwise you will be stuck in the same trouble loop with the old SIM which is also on sale many places. The old style is Green and White on the SIM card and the new style is All White. Don't purchase a SIM that they don't clearly show as all white in the pictures (and that means the "back" of the SIM opposite the contacts).
  • Once you have the new SIM(s) in hand, call Cricket Customer Service (611) from a separate phone (one not having the SIM swapped)
  • Explain to the rep you were advised they could switch your existing service to a new SIM without affecting your plan price
  • They will need the phone number(s) you are working on and the new SIM number(s) that are being swapped in as well as the account PIN number
  • Wait for the rep to process each change and you will get an SMS notification of change to the account to confirm the new SIM is valid (if you have more than one line on the account on hand)
  • Insert the new SIM and boot up the phone
I did this for two lines and can confirm my plan pricing/features did not change at all. The 2 new SIMs are functioning 100%.

As I said, WP and W10M are not being treated well on the new network. If you are having any issues with the old style SIM or the new, try the following...

Quick fix for network issues such as SMS/MMS/short code nags about Voice Mail needing to be set up, etc.: swap a different user SIM into the WP/W10M device, then swap back.
  • Power off the device, pull your current SIM
  • Insert a SIM with a whole different phone number that is valid (it can be on the same network and even the same account)
  • Power on, wait to get the text message saying your configuration settings are ready and tap the link
  • After confirmation, power down and swap your SIM back in
  • Power on and repeat the text message configuration deal

Jan 3, 2008
Visit site
Just went to Cricket with my idol4s paid full price for new sim.
Upon reboot i accepted mms setting and the visual voicemail texts. Went into settings and saw that the default APN had been applied and that APN for LTE was ndo. Mms showed nothing (as usual). Tried a test call in store and phone went to 4g. No hd voice.
Went back into settings and now above APN " APN for lte not available"
Tried to set up visual voicemail and get same text and message that can't be set up. Haven't tested the mms yet, but all else is still a bust.

Jan 3, 2008
Visit site
Sorry to rant.. Wish I wouldn't have got new sim. My Idol4s is no better than before and my Lumia 650 lost the visual voice mail again.. I also did a hard reset on my Idol not thinking about the text messages and restored with out doing back up. Now all text messages saved over last week are gone due to new sim. This was my fault.

Want to love the Idol 4s but don't understand the instability compared to my Lumia 650. Faster processor, more ram, what gives?

Ready to pull hair out, and NO not going Google or Communist Crapple. Going down fighting!

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
@Palm_forlackofchoice

Part of the MMS issue is that the protocol needs to be IPv4, not IPv6 not IPv4 & IPv6, just IPv4...

IIRC the ability to switch that field manually is missing from W10M and hence the need for the auto settings via Text.

All I can suggest is that you swap a different person's SIM in and then swap your Cricket SIM back and hope the settings take. If there is a link in the SMS then click it.

Jan 3, 2008
Visit site
I got two different text messages, and I clicked the link in each and chose Accept. Seems to be working with exception of group text replys create multiple threads. I think this may be due to Cricket having limit on recipients? Still cannot get visual voicemail to work on the Idol and know after new sim the Lumia 650 either.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I got two different text messages, and I clicked the link in each and chose Accept. Seems to be working with exception of group text replys create multiple threads. I think this may be due to Cricket having limit on recipients? Still cannot get visual voicemail to work on the Idol and know after new sim the Lumia 650 either.

Switch to YouMail for VVM. LOVE them and have had no problems using them for years. Portable so you can have it on any phone, even W10M or WP.

YouMail on the web: https://www.youmail.com/home/v2index

+

ISeeVM UWP app on your phone and desktop: https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...rdkj9v_ORSEARCH_Bing%26rtc%3D1&token=FIeXQoNu

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
infohills