EE Broadband Users - Direct Debit and Manual Payments.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
This is a Public Service Announcement in regards to the payment system used by EE. My experience with this is on the broadband side of their service and not their mobile phone contracts.

For awhile now I have been making manual payments under the impression that if a manual payment is made the direct debit is not taken that month. However that is not the case, having switched banks I had to pay £80 manually. This was attempted to be taken via direct debit from my old bank 3 days later.

When speaking to EE and the helpful rep I spoke with confirmed this was the case and I verified this with my old bank, only 1 attempt out of 15 attempts was successful. As I always made a manual payment since my old bank had the habit of paying my direct debits late and mid month in bulk thus decimating my bank balance in the process. That occured because Merchant payments i.e. travel payments, supermarket transactions are taken upto 10 days later from the withholding account. Which is why you see a descrepancy between available balance and current balance.

Both he and I agreed it was very frustrating especially if you make a manual payment before the direct debit is taken, as the direct debit system does not automatically check if a payment has been made. Thus money is taken and this direct debit will appear as credit on your account and will be used for the next bill otherwise you will have to initiate a refund for that bill to get that money back.

Therefore if you are with EE Broadband, either stick with manual payments or the direct debit however you do not get direct debit discount like some companies e.g Three provide a £5 direct debit discount (however that may be for long standing customers only therefore I suggest checking the small print then checking with the sales rep - sometimes you can catch them out - as more expensive the contract the more commission they get - not a common occurence but it happens - after all we all have bills to pay :grincry::grincry:).

If you have had a similiar experience or have been told differently, feel free to chime in below.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos