What options are there, and what do you wish for?

desmonium

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
I wanted to give the title "first", but got cold feet as I don't want to get banned from this forum.

So hey, I preordered the Nokia Lumia 800 a few days ago, but now I start to worry about the accessories available in US. There aren't many things around Nokia, especially in US, compared to say around the old Blackberries or the new iSeries.

Charger: The first trouble is that Lumia comes with this UK version wall charger which is more like chopsticks rather than wall charger. Don't wanna carry a UK-US-converter when traveling.

Cases: Besides some plain hard covers from Nokia and some weird flip-down leather case I don't really see anything else coming up. And I heard the soft cover is bad for phone conversation as the cover does "cover" the speaker hole.

Screen protector: Most likely Lumia 800 does not sport the Gorilla Glass (trust me, I went over the internet and could not locate anything about Gorilla Glass on Nokia's official website, you think Nokia will miss that? Plus some bloggers might just copy the specs from N9 as its design is quite similar to that of Lumia 800), so you need a screen protector. But for a curved glass, I didn't find any design that claims to fit with the curved glass.

-------------------------------
So for my curiosity:

1. What protective gear are you getting for your Lumia 800?

2. Are you afraid that using protective gear will discount the great design of Lumia 900 (polycarbonate feel and the ClearBlack glass)?

3. Are you comfortable with using naked Lumia 800?

4. What are your dream accessories?

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
My Trophy came from Germany and the charger has a European plug, so I just use my old micro-USB charger from my Treo Pro.

There aren't any really great cases for any WP7 phone that I have seen. I would think that otterbox would make one now for Nokia. (I realize some people don't like the thickness of otterbox cases)

desmonium

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
My Trophy came from Germany and the charger has a European plug, so I just use my old micro-USB charger from my Treo Pro.

There aren't any really great cases for any WP7 phone that I have seen. I would think that otterbox would make one now for Nokia. (I realize some people don't like the thickness of otterbox cases)

Personally don't want an otterbox, unless you don't put it in your pockets, cuz otherwise people might think I need a surgery on my **** - it's on the wrong side!

Anyway, I used to have BeyzaCases for my Blackberries. And their design/quality is top notch. True that we don't see many variety for Windows Phones' Accessories, even for the ever-so-popular Androids (possible due to the number of different manufacturers and the design is not consistent - fragmentation in WP accessories here we go).

I just hope Nokia can get some **** done and US can share some accessories.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Personally don't want an otterbox, unless you don't put it in your pockets, cuz otherwise people might think I need a surgery on my **** - it's on the wrong side!

Anyway, I used to have BeyzaCases for my Blackberries. And their design/quality is top notch. True that we don't see many variety for Windows Phones' Accessories, even for the ever-so-popular Androids (possible due to the number of different manufacturers and the design is not consistent - fragmentation in WP accessories here we go).

I just hope Nokia can get some **** done and US can share some accessories.

I wish we still had the Nokia store on Michigan Avenue. :cool:

Rallicat

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
My first Smartphone for personal use was an iPhone 3G, I currently have an iPhone 4, and next week I plan to get the Lumia 800 and make the switch to Windows Phone.

With my iPhone 3G, I never used any kind of permanently installed case, preferring isntead to simply slip it into a pouch when not in use to prevent items in my pocket from damaging it. With the iPhone 4, I use a bumper case, which partly helps guard against the 'death grip' issue, but also helps ensure the phone doesn't slip out of my hand - with so many of the surfaces being either glass or brushed metal, it's just too damn slippy!

The Lumia 800 is mostly plastic. This is the area that gives me most concern. It will certainly be more grippy than glass, but also more vulnerable to scratches. I'll just have to wait and see how much of an issue this is over time, assuming I continue to keep it in a pouch when not in use.

The phone does come with a soft case - this seems to be primary to protect the plastic parts of the phone - but I won't be using it if it detracts too much from the phones design. I much prefer to use a phone 'naked' - why cover up a well designed product?

As for the glass screen, I sincerely hope this isn't something I have to worry about. A glass screen should be hard to scratch. Time will tell.

I do intend to pick up some extra chargers - at least one extra that I can use at work.

Mio_Ray

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
I actually planned to leave My Black Beauty as it was created. But I was hoping to get a Cyan one which was sadly not available so I had to go for a black one. For three months I have been looking for a Cyan OEM case to soothe my craving, but they as well has been unavailable. Finally today I found It and it just looks amazing, just makes me wish that I had waited for a cyan one anyways.

But on the other hand I can now flash that cyan when I'm out and about with the added protection. And still have that sleek black understated elegance for office time etc.

Best of both worlds :D

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
As soon as I got my 800 I was forced to go online for accessories as there are none to be had here in Canada. I ordered a Casemate shell with inner neoprene sleeve and I love it - not too much bulk.

The really tough part was finding a belt clip for it and had the best I could do was get a Roots generic snap in case/clip from Walmart that was made for an iPhone 4. The irony is, it fits my 800 much better than my girlfriend's iPhone 4.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo