Cases for Focus S

davidkhou

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
I picked up two cases: the ventev mentioned above, and the glass blackTPU case that Klocker also has. I would highly recommend the TPU case; I agree that it has a nice, firm fit. I also cut out the holes for the camera as well as the power button. (the case was tight enough for me that it was slightly triggering both buttons- the phone wouldn't go to sleep and also slightly triggered the camera's first stage), but the good thing is that case is almost inviting you to cut them out if they don't work for you. I find that the hole for the camera perfectly hides it enough to solve almost all of the "accidental" press issues people have been having. The case also wraps around the frame, like a lip, protecting the screen if you place the phone screen side down. The TPU also gives more of a tactile, friction feel than the Ventev. I'd say that the TPU also gives the phone a perfect heft too, for those who think it's too light.

The Ventev is also decently made; it's actually two halves, the top shiny bit, connected by friction to the soft-touch bottom piece. It doesn't cover the top or the bottom very much. It has cut-outs for all of the buttons, but I feel that the cutouts are large enough that they don't do much to prevent accidental button presses; on the contrary, they seem more inviting to my fingers to grasp the indentations.
Both cases are prone to fingerprints though.

Overall I'd give the edge to the TPU, but will switch them up from time to time. Both can be found on ebay for very cheap.
I'd post some pictures but the attachements button isn't working for me at the moment.

Silverdogz

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
Just got a reply from speck about the candyshell case for the S.
No Official word yet! Try back in a week or two and I might have more info then! We’d love to be able to give you a definite answer, but the truth is, we don’t always know ourselves. Believe us on this: we’re busily turning out tons of super-sweet new cases, bags and sleeves just as fast as our little hands can turn. But if we gave you definite release cares and for whatever reason they didn’t turn out to be dead-on, well, then, you might be sad. And we don’t want you to be sad. So we ask that hang on. We’ll let you know, we promise!
Kind regards, erik griss | customer service guru (*) speck | 212 homer ave. suite 100 | palo alto ca 94301

Last edited:

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I also settled for the Ventev case. I work in a boiler plant, and my Focus S life is in danger every day. The Ventev case has a good weight to it (I prefer that in my phones) but the top half of it is a slippery sucker. Also, I do not like the fact is does not extend all the way around the phone. The top edge and the bottom edge of the device are both exposed, which to me kinda defeats the purpose of the case. It is fine for me in the short term, but I do not think it is a long term solution. Still hoping for an Otterbox or Sedio option at some point. Hope some other users continue to post reviews of their experiences with some of these other cases.

Last edited:

davidkhou

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
Any updates at this point? I can't decide between the VenTev and the TPU.
I'd just get both of them (which is what I did); they're cheap enough on ebay you should be able to get both together for about $25.

But if you had to choose, I've warmed to the ventev case, but think that the TPU would be the one I'd pick if I could only have one. As I mentioned before, you might need a small knife to cut out a button cover or two if the case is a tad too snug. It's easy to do, though.

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
If anyone is interested, I purchased a decent case from ebay recently. It is a hard shell case, two pieces. It has that soft, "fuzzy" finish, similar to the case-mate cases, which I like very much. It has cutouts for all the buttons and ports. The only negative is that sometimes a small gap appears on the left hand side. It doesn't come apart, but it has a little bit of play. No biggie since it was 3.95. Here's the link if anyone's interested:

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

edit: btw this isn't one of those soft, rubber ebay cases that fit as well as a 10 year old sock. I tried one of those too, pretty awful.

btbam91

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm waiting for Mobi's hard shell case. My gf got one for her Focus and I love it. They've released one for the Titan, The Focus Flash... I hope the Focus S is next!

E-werd

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
I have been watching threads like this, and nobody has mentioned Case-Mate's Barely There case. It is a nice case, it protects the back and sides without adding much bulk. This and an Invisible Shield screen protector and you'd be good to go. I've yet to get the latter, but I love this case.

Newegg.com - Case-Mate Black Barely There Case For Samsung Focus S CM017837

I linked to Black (which NewEgg is currently out of), there is also Pink at NewEgg and I've seen Blue here and there. I've bought it elsewhere, but you often see it without a picture. It adds just enough so that the buttons don't get hit in your pocket, otherwise it's like it's "Barely There."

Edit: Here is a link to the blue one on Amazon. Be careful, you should be able to get these under $10.

[URL="http://www.amazon.com/Case-mate-Barely-There-Samsung-Focus/dp/B006GHAYX4?t=wpcentral00-20&tag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUwpUvbUpU1627946]http://www.amazon.com/Case-mate-Barely-There-Samsung-Focus/dp/B006GHAYX4[/URL]

casio556

Mar 15, 2012
Visit site
I agree with E-werd. I have used the Case Mate Barely There CM017837 and the NiteIze Clip Case Cargo Tall since I purchased my Focus S in December 2011. Have not had any inadvertant button pushes, except for operator stupidity.

myanow

Feb 22, 2012
Visit site
I have the casemate tough case from ATT. The case protects the device really well. It is a little tough to get on but it that is because it is a tight fit. Only issue with it is that it will cause the first stage of the camera key to stay depressed which can cause some of issues. They must not have a very good QA department. Anyways I was able to resolve this with a very simple solution that I outlined on another case thread. After my fix I think the case is perfect. Without the fix it is frustrating.
I just got the Case Mate Tough case and the shutter button and non-sleeping is really frustrating. Can you please share your fix?

Thanks!

aggiegirl12

May 9, 2012
Visit site
Same problem with the case mate tough ... the non sleeping botton is driving me crazy

I just got the Case Mate Tough case and the shutter button and non-sleeping is really frustrating. Can you please share your fix?

Thanks!

Would it be possible to use an exacto knife to cut around the buttons on the silicone? I have considered getting this case, but after reading reviews saying this is such a problem, I'm not sure I want to get it unless cutting it would make it better. lol.

infamousdaveman

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Would it be possible to use an exacto knife to cut around the buttons on the silicone? I have considered getting this case, but after reading reviews saying this is such a problem, I'm not sure I want to get it unless cutting it would make it better. lol.
There are so many nice options on amazon and ebay. Ive personally purchased about 10 different cases for both my wife's Focus S and My own. Some are really nice, others were eh(some of the gel ones seemed too bulky and loose) but on amazon, you can buy probably 5-6 cases and youll have a total of about 20+ dollars, the price of just ONE of those case mates. The ones I would recommend are the hard cases, they really dont add that much bulk, they protect the phone on all corners, sides, bottom and top, and they still keep the phone relatively light weight. Amazon.com, search i937 focus s hard case and try out a few, I love having multiple cases at home, I can change them with my themes and moods. Currently, I have a Blue hard case that matches my blue tiles, I have a lime case that matches my lime tiles, and then I have a skull case, a standard black case(gel), and a carbon green case to match my green tiles. My wife has a purple/black rhinestone, a few flower cases, black with blue lilies, white with pink lilies or someting like that, butterflies case(magenta colored case) and a purple gel case. I bought all of these cases combined for less than 50 dollars...well worth having the options and having total protection on the phone. I feel like I could chuck my phone against a wall and it still would hold up...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077