How necessary is a screen protector?

Mitlov

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
I just got an HTC Trophy, my first smartphone. i've never in the past used screen protectors on laptops or tablets (I have a Kindle Fire). The salesman who sold me the phone pushed hard for me to get one, but I figured he was just up-selling high-profit margin accessories and I refused. But I thought I'd ask around here. How necessary is a screen protector? Is that something that everyone here has, or just people who are a little rougher on their phones? Are there significant downsides in terms of either image quality or touch control?

Thanks!

Dormage

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
I don't have one and the screen is still flawless after more then a year !
I do avoid having my keys and phone in the same pocket but im not allways successful.

iBerry Lifestyle

Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I am always very careful with all the technology I use. I don't feel the need to protect my device any further. Personally I would only get a screen protector fir the resale value of a smartphone. After years of use the screen below would still be flawless!

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
I have a European HTC 7 Trophy from Germany and I have been very careful with it, but I do have a couple of scratches on the screen. I have no idea how I scratched it.

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
I use a screen protector on my HTC HD7, and it's just as responsive. My hands get pretty dirty at work, steel slivers and everything(I'm a welder) so it's definitely a must. Otherwise my 8 month old phone would be obliterated by now. If you continue to use your phone without one, I highly recommend not putting anything else in the same pocket. My left front pocket is phone-only. I've gone through a couple top-quality screen protectors, but my screen is still pristine underneath!

Also, WELCOME TO WP7!!!

Mitlov

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the welcome! It seems like a good community here. And I loooooooove this phone. The interface is just fantastic, and in the past week, I've had a lot of fun "evangelizing" with co-workers who only know iOS and Android. Not that those are bad, but this is so different and cool and less-well-known, that I've gotten a lot of interest from them in it.

I'm a white-collar stooge, so I think I can get by without a screen protector, and I really like the look and feel of the naked screen. But knowing to not keep anything in the same pocket is good. It's easy to do now that it's been mentioned, but I would have hated to have learned that lesson the hard way.

textomatic

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I have a Samsung Focus and I do have one small scratch on it even though it's suppose to be Gorilla Glass. But I really hate how screen protectors make the screen look dull. So if you're OK with the screen looking worse then I guess go with the protector. Otherwise treat your phone really nice and buy a nice phone cover that has a nice grip to it.

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the welcome! It seems like a good community here. And I loooooooove this phone. The interface is just fantastic, and in the past week, I've had a lot of fun "evangelizing" with co-workers who only know iOS and Android. Not that those are bad, but this is so different and cool and less-well-known, that I've gotten a lot of interest from them in it.

I'm a white-collar stooge, so I think I can get by without a screen protector, and I really like the look and feel of the naked screen. But knowing to not keep anything in the same pocket is good. It's easy to do now that it's been mentioned, but I would have hated to have learned that lesson the hard way.

Glad I could help!

steve70

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I use a screen protector on my HTC HD7, and it's just as responsive. My hands get pretty dirty at work, steel slivers and everything(I'm a welder) so it's definitely a must. Otherwise my 8 month old phone would be obliterated by now. If you continue to use your phone without one, I highly recommend not putting anything else in the same pocket. My left front pocket is phone-only. I've gone through a couple top-quality screen protectors, but my screen is still pristine underneath!

Also, WELCOME TO WP7!!!

100% agree, left pocket is phone pocket only...esp since I don't like screen protectors.

steve70

May 25, 2011
Visit site

First, welcome also. Second, you are correct, this is an awesome community. Everyone including staff and members are always friendly and helpful. I also find a lot of interest from other OS users and they seem to respect and notice the fluidity of the OS. I sometimes miss the custom ROM building of WinMo. Having an art degree, I appreciate the "less is more" clean just works approach that WP offers. No longer is form over function. We now have form and function. I also do not use a screen protector and the one pocket rule works for me. If you want to resale your device you might want to use one. I never do therefore I want the full crisp,clear screen that I paid for while I use it. Just random advice. Just like a recipe, no right or wrong. "Season to taste" .

Mitlov

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
Holy cow people on this forum are awesome. It's like what the internet would be like if people conducted themselves like they do when talking with other people face-to-face. Amazing.

Anyway, my wife and I weren't happy with the customer service at the local Verizon store when we went back today to get her a smartphone as well (both of us are new to the smartphone game), so I'm returning mine and cancelling the contract, but I'm definitely not giving up on Windows Phone. I'll be getting a Windows Phone from a different carrier (not certain yet, but most likely US Cellular, which means I can get any Windows Phone I want so long as I want the HTC 7 Pro). I think I've talked my wife into getting a Windows Phone too--the simplicity and ease of use of WP7.5 has really intrigued her.

beej

May 5, 2011
Visit site
Funny

100% agree, left pocket is phone pocket only...esp since I don't like screen protectors.

Nice, my left front pocket is my phone pocket, too! In fact, it's been that way for so long that I get phantom rings, now...

Just curious, do lots of other people keep their phones in the front left?

ON TOPIC: I did enjoy the Ghost Armor I had on my HD7, though I know it wasn't necessary--it just had a better tactile feel to me. Though I don't have one on my Radar yet...

mdscj4

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
Phone in my left pocket ever since I got my first phone in 2006! I never pair anything with my phone in my pocket, not even my flash drive.

I use the screen protector that came with my Featherlight Incipio case for my Trophy.

willied

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
Nice, my left front pocket is my phone pocket, too! In fact, it's been that way for so long that I get phantom rings, now...

Just curious, do lots of other people keep their phones in the front left?

ON TOPIC: I did enjoy the Ghost Armor I had on my HD7, though I know it wasn't necessary--it just had a better tactile feel to me. Though I don't have one on my Radar yet...

I have mine in my front left pocket as well. And I also get the phantom rings.

I don't have a screen protector on my Trophy and it only has a few very light scratches that are invisible when the screen is on.

Judge_Daniel

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
I actually bought a screen protector for my Verizon Trophy. However, the silver ring around the screen made it to where you had to line the screen and protector up perfectly or the screen would be raised around the edge. After about ten minutes of lifting and placing I gave up.

I now have about five tiny scratches on my screen (I'm pretty rough on it, though), but they're nothing I can't overlook.

IanLorenc

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
I've got a Titan and I have a screen protector (also did on my previous 7 Pro). They're so cheap to pick up in a multipack off eBay (I paid ?2.49 for 10), they do the job with no perceptible loss in screen sensitivity and only a slight dulling of colours which I can live with.
You can try to be as careful as you can but you never know when or where a scratch is ever going to strike!

Gungzwei

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
I always get the Zagg protector. I'm kinda hard on my devices, especially my phones.
For $15, it's pretty cheap protection for the screen and zagg has a lifetime gaurantee, which I haven't had to use.

Zagg goes on way easier than the stickon cheap protectors. Instead of trying to get everything lined up perfectly the first time, it goes on with a wet solution and you can slide it around before squegeeing it in place. Similar to the decals that go on a plastic model airplane.

rich4A1

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
I used to have a screen protector out of no good reason. For the longest time I thought my HD7 simply had a much worse screen than all other phones. One day my touch screen started to behave weirdly, and I realized that it was the dirt accumulated at th edge of the screen protector giving me all the trouble. When I peeled it off to clean it up, I realized my screen was so much more splendid without a protector. Given it was more than a year old, I decided to enjoy the bare screen.

I've always ad my phone is a separate pocket, and so far there is no scratch on the scren itself (but some on the frame as I once dropped it).

JPDVM2014

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
I am in the crowd that used to have a screen protector, but I hate the feeling of them. I have never found a screen protector that my finger can glide on as well as a bare screen. I have had my Trophy for 6-7 months and I have one tiny scratch on it. I also keep it in a pocket by itself, and have phantom rings. Lol. I may break down and get a screen protector if the 900 is as much of a fingerprint magnet as people are saying, but I doubt it. It's easier for me to wipe off the screen then to have to deal with an "orange peel" invisishield.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos