Where are the other accessories?

red grenadine

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
You see that's another area the iPhone comes ahead. Due to the proprietary 32-pin connector you can attach it upright to a dock.

Well its not due to the proprietary connector. Maybe to its location and popularity of the phone, but not simply due to the face it has a proprietary connector. And wait till Apple makes a micro-version of its connector, enjoy buying a $50 adapter for your docks.

Phone makers could just insist on putting their USB / HDMI inputs on the bottom and we could all enjoy standardized docks

Nokia's first party accessory page is here. I bought the Purity earbuds on Amazon
Nokia Lumia 900 Accessories - Nokia - USA

I just buy bluetooth speakers and play music via bluetooth rather than docking my phone

KingCrimson

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
I wonder if Apple has a patent on putting the connector at bottom centered. So Android or WP OEMs don't have the legal option of replicating that experience. So the user loses out in the end.

KingCrimson

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
Well its not due to the proprietary connector. Maybe to its location and popularity of the phone, but not simply due to the face it has a proprietary connector. And wait till Apple makes a micro-version of its connector, enjoy buying a $50 adapter for your docks.

Phone makers could just insist on putting their USB / HDMI inputs on the bottom and we could all enjoy standardized docks

Nokia's first party accessory page is here. I bought the Purity earbuds on Amazon
Nokia Lumia 900 Accessories - Nokia - USA

I just buy bluetooth speakers and play music via bluetooth rather than docking my phone

BTW - there is no way to purchase those accessories.

Adiliyo

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
i have the purity IEM's as well, they're pretty nice and i absolutely love the flat cables that have yet to tangle. i got mine from expansys, you can also find them on amazon.uk

and yes, it's not about the proprietary connector, it's about the location of the port. since nokia put it at the top for some reason there's no good way to design a dock for it. also, since wp doesn't rotate into landscape, a horizontal dock would just look weird, even though htc made them for the titan and radar.

plenty of android OEM's make docks for their phones with ports on the bottom, it's nothing apple has patented, and if they were allowed a patent for something as simple as the location of a charging/sync port, the patent system would officially be 9000% useless.

i think there are some generic cradles you can find if you just want to hold the phone upright though.

sundown28

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
This is what I'm going to miss most about migrating away from my 2yr old Galaxy I. A simple $15 dock. Even though it's connector was on top, it docked on it's side - charged while there and doubled as an alarm clock while being easily accessible.

I'm not necessarily interested in the "stereo" aspect of it - just the convenience of replacing my alarm clock bedside.

Honestly, I could probably deal with the fact that the screen didn't rotate. If they'd make a dock for it, I'd go all 'developer' on it. I guess the PITA would be that since there aren't any real "sensors" to tell it's docked, you'd have to manually start the dock/clock app every time.

Adiliyo

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
i think the gen2 htc phones automatically go into their dock app when docked.

you can still dock it into a generic dock, it'll just be upside down, which could be a good thing to make sure you don't snooze the alarm too easily. ;)

loribinca

Mar 7, 2012
Visit site
You'd have though that putting the USB on the bottom to allow for some form of charging stand would have been a no-brainer ..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786