Headphones, earbuds, headsets with remote that I have tried and what works.

Gungzwei

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
I'm hoping to start a database of what headphones have been tried on WP7 and the functionality level. I've seen a lot of questions about what headphones will work with our phones and have even asked Microsoft about a compatibility standard, or other way to know what will work. The tweet fleet at WindowsPhoneSupport stated that there is none.

List the make and model of the headphones, what phone model you tried them with and what functions worked/didn't work. I created a form to copy/paste into replies in order to keep the info more readable and comparable.

Make:
Model:
Type: (earbuds, headset, etc.)
Price: $

(Volume - ) (Play/Pause - ) (Microphone - )

Phone:

Comments:

Last edited:

Gungzwei

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
Make: Skullcandy
Model: 50/50
Type: earbuds
Price: $40

Volume - No Play/Pause - Yes Microphone - No

Phone: HTC Trophy

Comments:
These are iPhone specific, but I was a little suprised that the mic. didn't work. The sound quality was good, so I gave them to my wife to use with her fruity phone.

Last edited:

Gungzwei

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
Make: iFrogz
Model: Timbre Pro
Type: earbuds
Price: $50

(Volume - N/A) (Play/Pause - yes) (Microphone - Yes)

Phone: HTC Trophy

Comments:
Usually I avoid products with lowercase 'i' in front of the name, but..

I was quite dissapointed that the remote didn't include volume control. In the end I decided to keep them because of the sound quality and style. And also... I can use them to make phone calls.

They have a wood chamber for "superior sound" which I think is just a gimmick, but I like wood, so it worked on me. The cord is a cloth wrapped wich has a nice look and it helps to minimize the "chair dragged on a floor" noise you get when the cord rubs against something.

Siah1214

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
What's the point of this thread?
There's no reason why any 3.5 mm headphones with a remote wouldn't work, unless they are cheap and crappy. This stuff is...wait for it...universal.

Gungzwei

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
What's the point of this thread?
There's no reason why any 3.5 mm headphones with a remote wouldn't work, unless they are cheap and crappy. This stuff is...wait for it...universal.
It's NOT universal. Which is the point of this thread.
The 3.5 mm headphones aren't the focus.

It's the remote functions that come on a headset which don't always work between iPhone, Droid and Windows Phone. A remote control enabled headset will have 3 rings + tip connector on the plug. A regular headset will have 2 rings + tip connector on the plug.

Zaisaroni

Mar 5, 2012
Visit site
Headset compatibility has nothing to do with the OS, its about the hardware, specifically the headphone jack pinout for mic and buttons.

HTC and Apple headphones are interchangeable, Samsung and Nokia are different (maybe match each other)

Gungzwei

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
Headset compatibility has nothing to do with the OS, its about the hardware, specifically the headphone jack pinout for mic and buttons.

HTC and Apple headphones are interchangeable, Samsung and Nokia are different (maybe match each other)

I tried the headphones that come with the iPhone and the Skullcandy 50/50s. Niether worked in my HTC Trophy.

jagmien

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site

as zaisaroni said its the way the jack is made not the software. Nokia uses its own 3.5mm jack thats different from pretty much everything else and apple and htc's 3.5mm is pretty much the same as most other 3.5mm jacks.

This site (headset) as well as many others have good headsets for pretty much every for. The great thing about this site though is everything is sorted specifically to each phone so you know whatever you get will work with your phone.

Gungzwei

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
as zaisaroni said its the way the jack is made not the software. Nokia uses its own 3.5mm jack thats different from pretty much everything else and apple and htc's 3.5mm is pretty much the same as most other 3.5mm jacks.

This site (headset) as well as many others have good headsets for pretty much every for. The great thing about this site though is everything is sorted specifically to each phone so you know whatever you get will work with your phone.

It's a decent site, but they aren't selling any premium headphones. Just very generic "cheap" headphones.

Also they list Blackberry headphones as being compatible with the "HTC 7 Trophy". It's possible that these headsets are compatible, since they only have the play/pause button and no volume control buttons. However, I find that these sites are just guessing at what is compatible and will deal with incompatibilities as a return if the customer really pushes them. It's usually more trouble than it's worth to try and return an item.

lhickam

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
It's a decent site, but they aren't selling any premium headphones. Just very generic "cheap" headphones.

Also they list Blackberry headphones as being compatible with the "HTC 7 Trophy". It's possible that these headsets are compatible, since they only have the play/pause button and no volume control buttons. However, I find that these sites are just guessing at what is compatible and will deal with incompatibilities as a return if the customer really pushes them. It's usually more trouble than it's worth to try and return an item.
Too bad that NO in line controls on any headset work reliably with the phone asleep on the Lumia 900.. I went as far as to buy the Purity set made for Nokia and the play/pause only works about 20-30% of the time with the phone asleep.. works perfect on the lock screed or when the phone is active.

It is a known issue on the 900 that needs to be fixed.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Motorola s305. Controls work and voice command but video audio playback doesn't happen which is the OS fault

Sent from my Le Lumia using Board Express

Gungzwei

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
Too bad that NO in line controls on any headset work reliably with the phone asleep on the Lumia 900.. I went as far as to buy the Purity set made for Nokia and the play/pause only works about 20-30% of the time with the phone asleep.. works perfect on the lock screed or when the phone is active.

It is a known issue on the 900 that needs to be fixed.

I hadn't heard about the Purity by Monster headsets until now. The website states that they will work with Windows Phone 7, so I'm curious if it means all WP7. Or just the Nokia WP7 devices.

Anyone tried them with a non-Nokia WP7, yet?

caliborn

Nov 14, 2009
Visit site
I hadn't heard about the Purity by Monster headsets until now. The website states that they will work with Windows Phone 7, so I'm curious if it means all WP7. Or just the Nokia WP7 devices.

Anyone tried them with a non-Nokia WP7, yet?

I was just coming in here to see if anyone had tried them with non-Nokia phones as well....I want to use them with my Arrive and they seem to be well-priced($99.00/Amazon)

I'll repeat the question....Has anyone tried the Purity by Monster headphones with a non-Nokia phone?

Flying Kiwi

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
)
List the make and model of the headphones, what phone model you tried them with and what functions worked/didn't work. I created a form to copy/paste into replies in order to keep the info more readable and comparable.
Comments:
Make: HTC
Model: RC E240 also RC E160
Type: earbuds, earphones respectively
Price: ?19.95 and ?3 respectively
Identical results from both
(Volume - ) yes (using FWD/REV buttons) (Play/Pause - ) Yes (Microphone - ) Yes (Fast FWD / REW or track advance/retard - ) NO

Phone: HTC 7 Pro with latest official Windows Phone 7.8 ROM
Pressing the FFWD / REW buttons only results in volume changes (no matter how they're pressed/how many times) and instructions that came with the RC E240 regarding how these button functions should work do not result in appropriate responses (despite the fact they're the latest and greatest HTC Headset - in the case of the RC E 240, being used with an HTC phone with a very recent Windows Phone OS).

I used to have an HTC TyTN II and getting the (different) HTC Remote for that device to work properly required an official HTC provided patch (cab) file to be run on the phone to fix this issue - that worked a treat on that phone. Now that HTC have removed all files/support for my HTC 7 Pro phone from their website (at least in the UK), I can't see any similar patch files. HTC tech support say no such patch is available but they've been wrong in the past (saying an older HTC remote headset should work fully with this phone but it doesn't), so I've little faith that getting full functionality is a lost cause. Maybe someone who has experience developing custom ROMs has experience with where such a patch can be obtained?

Flying Kiwi

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
any headphones designed to work for Android should work
My experience is that they don't work fully/properly on WP 7.8 OS devices however (having no track changing or FWD/REV control) - this includes at least the two models posted about in my first post in ths thread above, that are designed specifically for HTC Phones incl Android and WP ones, at least when tested with my HTC 7 Pro. It seems to be an OS wide issue as Microsoft have shown an interest when I reported this limitation to them. According to my research over the last couple of days, it seems that Microsoft may have also locked down this part of WP 7.8, preventing any Windows Phone developers from coming up with an app to change how the remote buttons function and fix this issue.... It's definitely worth reporting this problem to Microsoft Tech Support (for those with affected device combinations).

thelastred

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I'm hoping to start a database of what headphones have been tried on WP7 and the functionality level. I've seen a lot of questions about what headphones will work with our phones and have even asked Microsoft about a compatibility standard, or other way to know what will work. The tweet fleet at WindowsPhoneSupport stated that there is none.

Make:
Model:
Type: (earbuds, headset, etc.)
Price: $

(Volume - ) (Play/Pause - ) (Microphone - )

Phone:

Comments:

Sony mobile (not Ericsson) Nokia samsung and htc use the same hardware and software for the headphones. So if one makes headset that work on Nokia then it work on samsung (android and windows phone)

Nokia purity (hd and inear)
Htc beats. (Solo and urbeats v1)
Sony mh1c. (Inear)
Nocs ns 200h (in ear make has "h" in model #)

Flying Kiwi

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
Sony mobile (not Ericsson) Nokia samsung and htc use the same hardware and software for the headphones. So if one makes headset that work on Nokia then it work on samsung (android and windows phone)
The OP asked about WP 7 devices and while Beats profile headphones etc may work ok with WP 8 devices, remote control headsets seem to consistently have problems on WP 7 devices and most (all?) WP 7 devices don't even support Beats audio profiles (mine only supports SRS). The same headphones may work fully under Android devices however so there's a big difference depending on the OS and WP 7.x seems to be the common factor in the case of problems. My enquiries with HTC have not been helpful with HTC tech support suggesting a compatible model (the HTC RC E 190) which isn't (track control functions simply don't work, only volume change and pause play/phone call support). If Microsoft wants to make inroads into Androids dominance in the marketplace, I would have thought this should be the first thing they look at (Urgently before WP 7.x development ceases)! Do you have some 'internal connections' with the companies in your Avatar (other than as a customer) thelastred?

thelastred

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
The OP asked about WP 7 devices and while Beats profile headphones etc may work ok with WP 8 devices, remote control headsets seem to consistently have problems on WP 7 devices and most (all?) WP 7 devices don't even support Beats audio profiles (mine only supports SRS). The same headphones may work fully under Android devices however so there's a big difference depending on the OS and WP 7.x seems to be the common factor in the case of problems. My enquiries with HTC have not been helpful with HTC tech support suggesting a compatible model (the HTC RC E 190) which isn't (track control functions simply don't work, only volume change and pause play/phone call support). If Microsoft wants to make inroads into Androids dominance in the marketplace, I would have thought this should be the first thing they look at (Urgently before WP 7.x development ceases)! Do you have some 'internal connections' with the companies in your Avatar (other than as a customer) thelastred?

No just customer. When they say compatible they just mean That all three buttons work. Htc has no control of how the buttons will work due to fact Microsoft controls the os.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte