Wireless Charging Form Factors

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Output from a standard USB charger that comes with 920: 1000 mA

Output from (any) Nokia wireless charger: 300 mA

So the wireless charger only charges at 1/3 the rate of USB. But, think about user scenarios. You come home and you plop it on the charging plate or Fatboy pillow and the next morning it's 100% charged. Who cares if it took 6 vs 2 hours when you're at home? Unless you don't have a landline that that phone is your only means of voice communication, then it's not an issue. Same thing applies at the office. You come to your desk, you plop the 920 onto your dock and it keeps it near 100% all day long. It becomes less about how fast it charges compared to how long it's on the charger because it's so easy to just drop it on there vs fumbling with connectors all the time.

Last edited:

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
So the wireless charger only charges at 1/3 the rate of USB. But, think about user scenarios. You come home and you plop it on the charging plate or Fatboy pillow and the next morning it's 100% charged. Who cares if it took 6 vs 2 hours when you're at home? Unless you don't have a landline that that phone is your only means of voice communication, then it's not an issue. Same thing applies at the office. You come to your desk, you plop the 920 onto your dock and it keeps it near 100% all day long. It becomes less about how fast it charges compared to how long it's on the charger because it's so easy to just drop it on there vs fumbling with connectors all the time.

I think a standard USB 2.0 port only puts out 500mA, USB 3.0 I think is 900mA. Wall chargers put out more.

I also think that slower charging extends a battery's useful life (as in number of charge cycles).

grndZr0

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
My perfect charger...

I ride my motorcycle alot. I have a bracketron universal mount for my focus. I use it for maps, music, calls, texts via blutooth in my helmet while im riding.

I will be getting a Lumia 920 in a couple of weeks to replace it.

What I would like is some type of solid universal mount (I used a bury this week in a car, it was nice.) That has QI built in. I would like it universal so that I can put a waterproof case on the lumia.

I will then have wireless charging, and wireless audio, so the phone can be completely sealed off from the elements (dust, sand, mud, rain, snow... I ride off road alot.)

So yea...

Ryan

pavvento

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site

I agree with this. I see the wireless chargers as a convenient way to keep your phone charged throughout the day/evening. If you only have 30 minutes and are at 10% it definitely makes more sense to use the plug, but in the average day you shouldn't get to 10% if you've got wireless chargers.

Dusteater

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone know kind of power plug these come with? Is it USB with a regional wall adapter? I don't want one if it comes hard wired with US power plug for example.

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone know kind of power plug these come with? Is it USB with a regional wall adapter? I don't want one if it comes hard wired with US power plug for example.

It comes with the AC-16. So it's not hard wired and is indeed usb with regional wall adapter.

2_139385-604x604.jpeg

EDIT: Actually it seems like us Europeans get the above. USA gets Nokia AC-50U, though the design is just different. Still not hard wired.
http://www.nokia.com/us-en/products/phone/lumia920/specifications/
Nokia-AC-50E.jpg

Dusteater

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site

Dusteater

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
You can find it from that page i linked. On the bottom it says What?s in the box.

Oh that is for the actual phone itself. I am curious about the cables for the charging accessories. On the pages for those charging plates, stands, etc... there is nothing listed about the plug.

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Oh that is for the actual phone itself. I am curious about the cables for the charging accessories. On the pages for those charging plates, stands, etc... there is nothing listed about the plug.

Ah that i do not know.
Only thing somehow related is that at least Nokia Play 360 comes with that white charger i showed above, but no idea about the new charging accessories.

Dusteater

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
Ah that i do not know.
Only thing somehow related is that at least Nokia Play 360 comes with that white charger i showed above, but no idea about the new charging accessories.

Yeah hard to say. All the pictures show a matching color cable. It is crazy that they do not say or picture what is at the other end of said cable. I have a Tweet out to Nokia asking about it, will reply if I get a response from them.

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Yeah hard to say. All the pictures show a matching color cable. It is crazy that they do not say or picture what is at the other end of said cable. I have a Tweet out to Nokia asking about it, will reply if I get a response from them.

Well if they all do have matching color cable, then it does make you think that they could be using their quite standard CA-190 cable that comes in all kind of colors.
ca-190cd_overview2_grey_604x604__42712.png

Usually Nokia is reasonable with things like this and always supports the hw standards.

But yeah again no facts. Hopefully you hear back from them.

prjkthack

Sep 21, 2011
Visit site
This company here:

GETPOWERPAD

They make some pretty awesome looking charging pads. Sadly, I can't find where to buy em or if they are even available. I have a feeling it'll cost a pretty penny though.

The Energizer one is... ugly. To say the least. I'm sure it works great, but it just looks like crap.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
This company here:

GETPOWERPAD

They make some pretty awesome looking charging pads. Sadly, I can't find where to buy em or if they are even available. I have a feeling it'll cost a pretty penny though.

The Energizer one is... ugly. To say the least. I'm sure it works great, but it just looks like crap.

It also doesn't say whether or not they use the Qi standard that Nokia is using.

prjkthack

Sep 21, 2011
Visit site
It also doesn't say whether or not they use the Qi standard that Nokia is using.

It was advertised on a site that listed Qi charging pads. I do find it odd that it doesn't say it on the site itself, but I assume since a site for Qi charging pad lists it, it must be Qi.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
Oh, okay, yeah I wasn't sure.

Honestly, personally I'm tempted by this for my bedside table (mentioned at WMPowerUser):

image62.png

I just can't find any user reviews of it anywhere.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb