JBL PowerUp Wireless Charging Speaker for Nokia

rkgriffin

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
I have been trying to find out more info on the charging speaker. I know that the 920 will sync with the speaker to play music in addition to charging. But are there any other NFC features it offers? For example when placed on the speaker can I have it set a specific alarm and make my ringer silent?

tlo07

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
D@mn I didn't think they were going to be that expensive! I can't justify that as often as I switch phones!

morrisonbrett

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
D@mn I didn't think they were going to be that expensive! I can't justify that as often as I switch phones!
Well the good news is the audio is Bluetooth Audio so it will work with ANY decent smart phone from now to at least a few foreseeable years. Plus there's always analog audio-in via the headphones jack.

Brett
http:/wwww.brettmorrison.com

SoloXCRacer

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, the NFC just initiates the Bluetooth connection. I've been thinking about this too, but I have to hear it if I'm going to spend that much on it.

jrzamora6

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I just got mine in. To be honest I am disappointed in with the sound of the device.

It does not put out nearly the amount of bass I was expecting. Overall the sound quality is good, but my Bose Soundlink is better with lows. This thing does however have really good mid and highs levels, but there is an uncomfortable amount of distortion at loud volumes (due to the distortion of low levels). This isn't too unexpected because this thing is driven off 2 mini subs. Overall the bass is not good even before you get to a level for distortion.

This thing gets LOUD too. I was impressed with the volume it can put out, however this seems pointless when you consider the amount of distortion you can hear.

The speakers have an on/standby switch on the back of the device that has to be on if want to speakers to work however the charger works regardless if the speakers are on or off. This is a giant plus.

I was also hoping the NFC connection would automatically turn on my bluetooth connection however this was not the case. You need to turn on bluetooth on your phone if you want through the speakers and then turn it off if you want sound to return to your phone. This seems pretty obvious, but I would of loved it if I could drop my phone off on the thing and the sound is automatically transferred to the speakers, and if I pick it up the connection automatically turns off.

Now I have to decide if I want to keep this as a glorified alarm clock if I want to return it. For $300 I am tempted to take it back because I do have a soundlink already, but it is a cool device. $200 would of been a much better price point for it.

morrisonbrett

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Got mine (Black) from ATT delivered yesterday. Pairing was easy. NFC worked as expected. Charging - no issues. I like how the landing area illuminates when the phone is close.

I would rate the sound a 3.5 out of 5. It's a bit too bass sounding than I would like. I have it bedside, where I charge the phone overnight.

rkgriffin

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
I am pretty disappointed that the NFC chips seems to only connect your phone to the speaker if you already have Bluetooth on. I was really hoping to be able to program the chip to do things like turn on/off WiFi and other settings.

Keckpec29

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
It does, I keep my bluetooth off, and when I hold the phone to my Powerup it ask me if I want to pair, turns it on and connects. Works like a charm. I just have to remember to turn the bluetooth off when Im done.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb