Speck CandyShell - Red (photos, initial impressions)

Luke Kailburn

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Got my black speck case yesterday(ordered through ATT 8 days ago). It's a very solid case indeed. It is raised above the glass just enough so you can set it face down and not worry about scratching the glass on anything. Love the inner rubber skin.
The gloss black is a HORRIBLE idea. after having it in my pocket and sitting on a desk or notepad for half a day it's full of little swirl marks and tiny scratches. I have no doubt it'll protect the phone very well. I just hate gloss black for this reason. My dell laptop also has a gloss black lid..same story lol.

sniper- did you order that diztronic matte black case? did it come in yet? Initial reviews?

Luke

camaroz1985

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site

awesomeplant

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
An update: I ended up returning my Speck case... While I like a lot of things about it, I noticed it was doing a poor job at protecting my lens. It actually seemed to be making it very easy to collect dust.

This was almost a deal breaker in and of itself, but it got worse when I tried removing the phone so I could clean the lens. As others noted, its very hard to get the phone out of the case, which is almost a plus to me, but on this occasion, although I was careful, I managed to snap the plastic where it gets quite thin around the speaker and USB opening. The rubber kept it in tact so there was no visual affect, but breaking under normal use under two weeks just didn't sit right with me, especially considering I would need to remove the phone quite often to clean the lens.

Thankfully AT&T took it back and refunded me. Ordered a cheap gel case from amazon which has a wider opening for the camera. Going to see how it works out.

Disappointed because I really liked the speck case. The back was getting all the microscratches I thought it would, but other than that it looked and felt awesome. Given the price and these issues, though, I can't recommend it.

Last edited:

Mark Rozanski

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
What lens are you trying to clean that you need to remove the phone from it's case???? I have the white Speck case, it has black gripping ribs on the back that extend part way up the sides. I see NO reason to remove the phone from it's case!!!

awesomeplant

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
The camera lens on the back was gathering dust and because of the small size of the cases opening there I had to dig in with the microfiber cloth and even then the dust just stuck around the edges, sticking to the rubber lining. From experience with other phones, I was worried dust would get wedged on the inside and end up grinding against the phone and making micro scratches and in the meantime the dust on the lens was making my images look very poor.

My new cheap gel case has a much bigger opening around the lens that lets me clean easily, and it hasn't been attracting the dust.

On removing the case in general, I think I just have a different preference. I like the ability to easily pull the phone out, especially since a lot of people are curious about the 920 when they see it and I want to show them how it looks without the case.

Rudiepoo1

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Love these cases as well. Got the black/grey one for the wife and the white/black one for myself. The quality is excellent while offering great protection.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolz1234