09-20-2013 01:37 PM
82 1234
tools
    Just going to directly answer the question: Yes
    HeyCori likes this.
    04-24-2013 11:05 AM
    I wouldn't buy a smartphone because of it but otherwise it's pretty neat. Very useful when I stumble into the bedroom at night. I drop my phone on the charger and don't have to bother turning on the lights to find a cord.
    04-24-2013 02:28 PM
    I wouldn't buy a smartphone because of it but otherwise it's pretty neat. Very useful when I stumble into the bedroom at night. I drop my phone on the charger and don't have to bother turning on the lights to find a cord.
    My exact reason too. It was always a pain at night to feel around to try to find my USB cable, then make sure I can find the port on the phone (wife is sleeping and dont want to wake her so turing the display on is something I avoid), I just drop it on and it works...

If I was looking at 2 phones almost the same feature set, I would lean towards the one with wireless charging. It's just easy and something I no longer have to think about....and I really like features like that, something to make my life easier.
    04-24-2013 02:42 PM
    OP. This requires some heavy Modus Ponens..

- Since I am awesome then everything I use must be really awesome.
    - I use Wireless Charging

Q Wireless Charging is Really Awesome.
    04-24-2013 03:11 PM
    Yes, Qi charging is awesome! Aside from multi-tasking, it was the biggest feature I missed after leaving webOS.
    04-24-2013 03:24 PM
    Yes it is.
    Like everyone here has said, its one of those things you don't miss until you have it, and then wonder how you got along all these days without it.
    04-24-2013 04:52 PM
    The power vs. hand crank windows is a pretty good analogy. Can you live without it? sure. Would you want to go back to rolling windows up and down? Probably not. Wireless charging was the only area I can think of where I felt I took a step back when I moved to the Trophy from the Palm Pre. Not to mention on the Pre, it saved wear and tear as someone else mentioned. That was a bid deal on the Pre; the ports would crack ,etc. if not careful.
    04-24-2013 04:59 PM
    Does anyone know if wireless charging works for the T-Mobile 8x?
    04-24-2013 05:01 PM
    Yes, Qi charging is awesome! Aside from multi-tasking, it was the biggest feature I missed after leaving webOS.
    Does the qi charger work for all wireless chargeable devices?
    04-24-2013 05:04 PM
    Does anyone know if wireless charging works for the T-Mobile 8x?
    No, only Verizon 8x
    Does the qi charger work for all wireless chargeable devices?
    Only the QI compatible ones. (the majority)
    peacefulberry likes this.
    04-24-2013 05:11 PM
    Wireless charging is not only awesome, it keeps your USB port in excellent condition and saves you from the second leading cause of phone failure (cracked screen #1). I've only had Touchstone charging on my webOS devices so I need to ask if there's an "Exhibition"-style app running while it charges? That was an uber-cool feature on my Pre3.
    04-24-2013 07:50 PM
    Yes, Wireless charging is very convenient specially if you move from your place intermittently, I’m using an Htc 8X and never plug my phone again for charge in a week, just leaving my phone on the nokia pad in my desk during working hrs., even if I’m moving from my place a lot of times during day the phone is fully charged …easily.
    04-24-2013 08:13 PM
    The best money you'll spend for your Lumia.
    04-24-2013 10:19 PM
    > "Wireless Charging really that awesome?"

Yes
    04-24-2013 11:44 PM
    I too had a same doubt about wireless charging and its usage value... but believe me once i started using it, my life is much more easy no more plugging in the charge pins into the micro USB port. Its just like placing your mobile on the table! Its super easy and useful. Its worth every penny that i paid for it!
    04-25-2013 01:51 AM
    I think it's awesome. And I can't wait to get one once it's sold in here :D
    Last week when I attended Canton Fair, I came across a booth where a company is selling Wireless charger, power bank, and other type of charger. So I've been dying to test my Lumia 920 wireless charging capability . And when I saw this booth, I quickly asked the staff and he said it is Qi compatible. So I tested it, and I find that it's pretty awesome if I can have one at home.
    Another visitor was surprised and asked the staff why my phone can charge wirelessly while his one cannot. So I told him that this Nokia phone has a built-in wireless charging capability. He looked pretty impressed and he said "This is something Nokia is really good at"
    Abdul Rahman Noor likes this.
    04-25-2013 03:06 AM
    +'s for having a wireless charger,
    -You can charge your phone on the run (If you have to leave somewhere urgently, all you've to do is pickup the phone vs. unplug it)
    -You won't messup the charging slot (Have seen phone's charging *** pc connecter being tilted due to forceful insertion of cable)
    -Looks very tidy and eliminates the chance of breaking the phone (I've saved my phone once when I accidentally pulled it while it was plugged in, I forgot it was being charged)
    -Feels beautiful! (Not on the pocket tho :p)
    04-25-2013 05:24 AM
    Yeh I have the same feeling as everybody else here. It doesn't seem all that special, but once you start using it, you just don't want to go back!
    That's how I feel about wireless sync and why I haven't gone to WP8 yet! It will be a great day when we have both wireless sync AND wireless charging.
    04-25-2013 06:26 AM
    if you buy a charger for each and every place you spend considerable amounts of time, yes.

otherwise you're still carrying around a charger.

car, office, study, kitchen, motorcycle.. the $$$ add up quickly.
    04-25-2013 07:11 AM
    I have 3 wireless chargers... 1 @ work, 1 in living room, & 1 in bedroom... That seems to work for me.. Not too expensive. Although I may buy 1 for the car, I believe Nokia is coming out with 1.
    04-25-2013 11:24 AM
    I'd forgotten all about this wireless charging stuff until I read this thread. I got a charging plate last November and tried it out a couple of times but haven't used it since. It's still in its box in a cupboard somewhere in the house.
    04-25-2013 12:10 PM
    I have two:

1. DT-900 at my bedside table

2. DT-910 on my work desk

And I keep a DC-16 in my work bag in case I need to power-up by L920 (and future L520) whilst away from home.

Definitely a pricy investment, but bear in mind that future Lumias (and other handsets) will have Qi charging, and if you have multiple Lumias at home you're bound to get plenty of mileage.
    justop26 and Westiemom like this.
    04-25-2013 12:15 PM
    So funny to even ask that. It reminds me of growing up with a dad who would never buy a car with power windows because he didn't see the point. I like the analogy to the remote control for your TV too. Why do you need that when you can just push a button on your TV?

As to plugging in a cable over and over, I have a co-worker who has had 2 phones where the cable port got damaged from repeated use. She's only had her latest phone a few months (Samsung GSIII) and she told me yesterday her port is messed up - again.

Another nice thing....they always recommend you don't leave a charger cable plugged in when you're not using it because it continues to draw power even when your phone is not connected to it. Not so with charging pad. It is designed to only draw power when the phone is on it. So you plug it in and tuck the cord out of sight and leave it there. Then just lay your phone on the nice little pad and viola!

Yep, wireless charging is pretty nice.
    dnlbntl likes this.
    04-25-2013 06:22 PM
    In its current form I consider it a gimmick. If I charged in a radius or from WiFi I would be impresses. As it is its just as simple to plug the phone in as it is to rest it on top of the charger.
    Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express
    04-25-2013 07:22 PM

.... It is designed to only draw power when the phone is on it.....

id like to read more about how this works with usb, wall plug units, and mounting sdcards. got any good informative links ?
    04-25-2013 08:02 PM
82 1234