Is Wireless Charging really that awesome?

Subserved_Meteor

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I read all the time that so many people are so enthusiastic about the wireless charging capabilities of some new WP8 devices.
So I am just curious, what is the difference? So instead of having to plug in my phone, I plug in a pad and keep my phone on the plugged in pad? Don't really see what's so awesome about it. Only thing usefull I saw in a comercial, is that you can place your phone on a JBL speaker and play music while it charges your phone...that's pretty rad. But other than that, don't really see any advantage of it.

Just to be clear, don't mean to be a troll, just curious :smile:

Thanks

dalydose

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
Yes. I love it. Think of the simplest thing you can do with a device...setting it down. Now imagine that setting it down has a productive purpose. I just set the thing down when working at my computer. I always leave with a full charge. I want another one for my night stand.

dakranii

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I like the charging stand. I have it next to my monitor at work. No cords laying around, I just set my phone on that doc when I sit at my desk, it keeps it charged and it can display my calendar so I can see my next appointment at a glance. I rarely ever plugged my phone in when that was my method or charging, but I always set my phone down, so now I just set it on something that charges it too.

I have the plate next to my bed. Nice to not worry about the cord not being long enough or snagging on anything. If I need to check something I can grab the phone, look, then set it back down. No fishing for the cable, etc. It's more convenience than anything. Not ground-breaking, but helpful.

jaimeastin

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, its really handy. I use mine at the office. It is clean and easy to grab and go or set to charge. I want wireless chargers every where, lol. I just got another 900 to use on my bike, GPS, and pmp use. I already miss not having that feature.

My mother and brother also enjoy using the wireless charger with their 920.

mister2d

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
It isn't really that awesome for me. However, if I couldn't wirelessly charge my phone anymore I would be really bummed. It's something that is really useful over plugging it in to a wall. I come home and just lay it on the charger...and then done.

I purchased the charger from the store here. It seems to charge my phone as quickly as the Nokia wall charger.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
I have a charging pad installed in the center console of my GMC (More on that here) so every time I get in my truck I just set my phone down and its charging. Very convenient not having to plug in every time I get in my truck. I also have a charging stand on my nightstand its great to just set it down on the stand when I go to bed. I also use a night clock so my phone sits on the stand and works as my bedside clock.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Yeh I have the same feeling as everybody else here. It doesn't seem all that special, but once you start using it, you just don't want to go back!

anon(5370748)

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It's not a wow feature that will win you friends or influence others, it just contributes to the high quality experience of the device. It's pretty slick, but I would trade it for more tier-1 apps in a heartbeat :)

17carter

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
It's alot better the plugging it in all the time. I sure hope they keep putting it in all new phones thought is was a gimmick before I got my 8x now im sold

erzhik

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Doesn't sound all that awesome when you don't have it. But after using it for a few days, I can guarantee you will not want to go back to plugging a cable every time. There is no way I'm buying another phone without wireless charging.

isi mcf

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Love the video..me and my wife lol'd at every comment. Great idea, I will be doing something like that whenever I get a side table.

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Lets also not forget, it dramatically reduces the wear and tear on your USB port.

My HTC HD7 was ~2 years old when i moved to WP8, and the USB port was knackered, the cable fell out easily, and didn't always charge. Majorly annoying, especailly as it had been like that for months.

wireless charging is the future, every big new phone will feature this. Lets just hope QI is the main standard, then docks will be everywhere.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Yes, wireless charging really is that awesome! (just in case you haven't heard that yet!):grin: I haven't plugged in my Nexus 4 for probably a couple months now.

I hope Apple soon releases an iPhone with wireless charging. I would expect when that happens that we'll quickly see charging pads all over in public.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon