Is Wireless Charging really that awesome?

wilsey

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
I think it's awesome. And I can't wait to get one once it's sold in here :D
Last week when I attended Canton Fair, I came across a booth where a company is selling Wireless charger, power bank, and other type of charger. So I've been dying to test my Lumia 920 wireless charging capability :winktongue:. And when I saw this booth, I quickly asked the staff and he said it is Qi compatible. So I tested it, and I find that it's pretty awesome if I can have one at home.
Another visitor was surprised and asked the staff why my phone can charge wirelessly while his one cannot. So I told him that this Nokia phone has a built-in wireless charging capability. He looked pretty impressed and he said "This is something Nokia is really good at"

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
+'s for having a wireless charger,
-You can charge your phone on the run (If you have to leave somewhere urgently, all you've to do is pickup the phone vs. unplug it)
-You won't messup the charging slot (Have seen phone's charging *** pc connecter being tilted due to forceful insertion of cable)
-Looks very tidy and eliminates the chance of breaking the phone (I've saved my phone once when I accidentally pulled it while it was plugged in, I forgot it was being charged)
-Feels beautiful! (Not on the pocket tho :p)

lippidp

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Yeh I have the same feeling as everybody else here. It doesn't seem all that special, but once you start using it, you just don't want to go back!
That's how I feel about wireless sync and why I haven't gone to WP8 yet! It will be a great day when we have both wireless sync AND wireless charging.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
if you buy a charger for each and every place you spend considerable amounts of time, yes.

otherwise you're still carrying around a charger.

car, office, study, kitchen, motorcycle.. the $$$ add up quickly.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I have 3 wireless chargers... 1 @ work, 1 in living room, & 1 in bedroom... That seems to work for me.. Not too expensive. Although I may buy 1 for the car, I believe Nokia is coming out with 1.

WorzelGummage

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
I'd forgotten all about this wireless charging stuff until I read this thread. I got a charging plate last November and tried it out a couple of times but haven't used it since. It's still in its box in a cupboard somewhere in the house.

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
I have two:

1. DT-900 at my bedside table

2. DT-910 on my work desk

And I keep a DC-16 in my work bag in case I need to power-up by L920 (and future L520) whilst away from home.

Definitely a pricy investment, but bear in mind that future Lumias (and other handsets) will have Qi charging, and if you have multiple Lumias at home you're bound to get plenty of mileage.

Westiemom

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
So funny to even ask that. It reminds me of growing up with a dad who would never buy a car with power windows because he didn't see the point. I like the analogy to the remote control for your TV too. Why do you need that when you can just push a button on your TV?

As to plugging in a cable over and over, I have a co-worker who has had 2 phones where the cable port got damaged from repeated use. She's only had her latest phone a few months (Samsung GSIII) and she told me yesterday her port is messed up - again.

Another nice thing....they always recommend you don't leave a charger cable plugged in when you're not using it because it continues to draw power even when your phone is not connected to it. Not so with charging pad. It is designed to only draw power when the phone is on it. So you plug it in and tuck the cord out of sight and leave it there. Then just lay your phone on the nice little pad and viola!

Yep, wireless charging is pretty nice.

usnberry

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
In its current form I consider it a gimmick. If I charged in a radius or from WiFi I would be impresses. As it is its just as simple to plug the phone in as it is to rest it on top of the charger.
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

trivor

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Do you have the Nokia charging stand? I've been trying to find out how good it is (it's pretty pricey - $69). Appreciate the help.

devize

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Do you have the Nokia charging stand? I've been trying to find out how good it is (it's pretty pricey - $69). Appreciate the help.

I think it's very good, I have it on my bedside table and sit my phone on it every night. I like it better then the charging pad because it keeps the phone upright so you can still see the time and such when you press the power button. You can even use a Nokia app that comes prebuilt which displays the time and weather dimly on the screen for use as a night clock. I don't use the NFC as I find it pretty useless on WP but I think the fact that it keeps the phone upright is worth it over the pad (which I also own) and is much better than the wired charger. I couldn't go back to wired now and it preserves the state of your USB port.

Clodderes

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
I really like the wireless capabilities. It's convenient and almost as fast as USB chargers. After use this for a couple of week, I'm convinced that someday will become the main way how we charge the gadget.

MDak280

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Yes it's amazing. I just set my phone down before bed and it charges. Then when I wake up I just pick it up and I'm ready to go :)

justop26

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
My girlfriend always forgets to charge her SIII when she goes to be and is always running on a low batt during the day. I, on the other hand, just set my Lumia 920 down on my bedside table, on my charging mat, and my phone is always charging :) Small difference, but what a difference!

AskaLangly

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
Why doesn't Nokia ship out their phones with the wireless charging backing and all you had to do was purchase the station/pillow for it?

GimbleFIN

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
Yes, it really is that awesome! Its one of those things that you don't appreciate until you have it.

Exactly, this first reply in this thread pretty much sums it up. Kind of same thing like you remote keys for car, at first i thought that i could manage without it but today it would feel SO inconvenient, maybe even kind of stupid if had to always use keys like in old days.

theotherskipper

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
Why doesn't Nokia ship out their phones with the wireless charging backing and all you had to do was purchase the station/pillow for it?

I think it's just a pricing strategy. Maybe it thinks that not all lumia buyers value wireless charging that highly so by not making it standard, it probably saves some $$ that can be passed on to the consumer. I believe only the 920 supports wireless charging straight out of the box which makes sense because it's the flagship device.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa