[ I meant handwriting/sketching ]. I have the Papyrus program on my Lumia 520 and it works well, but using my finger or a 6 mm "passive" stylus is a bit like sketching with my eyes closed. I have found this Cregle Ink product on Youtube, with two AAAA batteries and a 2 mm point:

Cregle ink | Cregle, Inc

I think that it also has other names, like HuntWave. Does anyone know whether this would work on my Lumia 520 (I have asked Cregle of course).

Mike

03-09-2014 10:17 AM
    Everything I could find on cregle referred to the iPad. One forum even said it was optimized for iPad. Of course at 30risk free, you could give it a try if you wanted.
    mike160304 likes this.
    03-09-2014 02:21 PM
    Everything I could find on cregle referred to the iPad. One forum even said it was optimized for iPad. Of course at 30risk free, you could give it a try if you wanted.
    Thanks, I have written to them. It is time that the market started thinking about things other than iPad. Tablets are now on stream! My next desktop will be a tablet, and it will not be an iPad.

Mike
    03-09-2014 03:21 PM
    Also this
    http://www.lynktec.com/TruGlide-Apex...lus-s/1860.htm
    Again for Ipad, but FAQ say it may work with some Android devices, so maybe WP8 too?
    mike160304 likes this.
    03-09-2014 04:19 PM
    Yes, I had found the name, but not yet the website. Ink, HuntWave, TruGlide and others are said in one Youtube thread to be the same thing under different names, but that was only one comment. Availability seemed to be dubious. I wonder whether the Cregle site will reply to me.
    03-10-2014 03:22 AM
    Cregle have replied: "Thanks for your interest in our stylus. Unfortunately, our stylus is specially designed for Apple iPad. It may not work with your devices."

I have replied pointing out that the future is not all Apple, and asking why don't they try their stylus on other devices.
    03-10-2014 10:10 AM
    OK, I have now understood that no active stylus works on Windows Phones, and that therefore we are limited to a passive stylus (no batteries). Also that the "magnet" mentioned with some passive styli has nothing to do with the writing, it is just for attaching the stylus to something.

I have also learnt that there are dozens of sketching/handwriting programs, of which Papyrus is the only one I have had time to test, and it works fine, with fine lines too if desired.

So the hardware is the problem, not the software

I have now ordered an Adonit Jot Mini stylus from Amazon UK and I'll let y'all know how I get on with it.

I may put a protective film on my screen.

Mike
    03-12-2014 03:18 AM
    So, what's the verdict?
    05-26-2014 02:52 PM
    So, what's the verdict?
    Thanks for reminding me. The Adonit Jot Mini was too small for my hands but in any case the plastic disc end did not suit me personally, on the Nokia Lumia 520. My impressions are: when we write on paper with a pencil or ballpen, the steady friction helps us to control our movements. The Adonit plastic disc end did not provide similar, steady friction, and the relatively hard contact did not suit me, personally. But I admire the thought that went into it, and would not want to put others off from trying it. I returned it, saying simply that it was too small for my hands. Yes, I know that the other Adonit models are larger, but the tip would be similar. The one with spring suspension of the tip might be "better", I don't know.

In the end, I bought a set of four of the ordinary, generic hollow-rubber-ball styli on Ebay for next to nothing, and I get on OK with those. They provide the steady friction I mentioned above. With some more expensive phones/tablets, I am told that a completely different, and more expensive, smaller-point stylus can be used, and that would obviously be greatly superior for drawing.

Mike
    05-27-2014 02:55 AM