help me choose my birthday present (headphones)

groovejumper

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
My birthday's coming up (18th), and apparently I get to choose my present... I need a good set of headphones. I travel regularly, so here's what I want:

- Over the ear (no earbuds)
- Collapsible for easy packing
- Noise canceling would be nice
- Mostly for movies and music on my Surface Pro 3
- With a mic and controls compatible with my phone would be nice for the occasional call (Lumia 920)

$150 max, $100 would be better... Any suggestions?

g

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
My birthday's coming up (18th), and apparently I get to choose my present... I need a good set of headphones. I travel regularly, so here's what I want:

- Over the ear (no earbuds)
- Collapsible for easy packing
- Noise canceling would be nice
- Mostly for movies and music on my Surface Pro 3
- With a mic and controls compatible with my phone would be nice for the occasional call (Lumia 920)

$150 max, $100 would be better... Any suggestions?

g
Consider these:
- Audio Technica ATH-ANC27B: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00372YKMM...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUwpUvbUpU2846218 (there is a better model called there ATH-ANC7 but it costs $120 I think)

- Audio Technica ATH-M50x: Amazon.com: Audio-Technica ATH-M40x Professional Studio Monitor Headphones: Electronics

- V-MODA M80s - These are on-ear, but they're a fantastic deal. I own the M100s because I heard the M80s, and they're fantastic: Amazon.com: V-MODA Crossfade M-80 Vocal On-Ear Noise-Isolating Metal Headphone, White Silver: Electronics

- Sennhesier HD 280 Pro: Amazon.com: Sennheiser HD-280 PRO Headphones: Electronics

- Skullcandy Aviators - yes Skullcandy's aren't that flash, but at this price bracket, it's a good deal. And, they don't sound too shabby either: Amazon.com: Skullcandy S6AVFM-156 Aviator Headphones with Mic3 (Black): Electronics

Also, if you're not so caring about sound quality, I've seen a few Beats Studios (1st gen) go for $120 refurbished on eBay. They may suck in terms of sound, but the noise-cancellation is pretty good. And they seem to fulfil most of your criteria. I just wouldn't buy them because.... well..... they're Beats (I don't like the styling) :p

travis_valkyrie

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
If you care about sound, you can browse from Sennheiser, Bose, Sony, or AudioTechnica. I wouldn't really recommend the Beats, I mean they're ok, the 2nd generation Beats Studios are actually an improvement from the first gen Studios with exaggerated muddy bass. The reason being with Beats Studios, while the noise cancellation are great, it requires batteries to work - like if it runs out of batteries, you can't use the headphones, like you can't use them as regular headphones. Despite this, Beats goes good with most devices.

alllies

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site
Try Creative Aurvana Live2 or CAL2 for short, it has received a lot praise over Head-fi community. I could have gone for this but my budget is below 100USD. It also has a Bluetooth version which is CAL Gold.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00FC...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUwpUvbUpU2848564

I have the i version of this one..http://www.amazon.com/Grado-Prestig...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUwpUvbUpU2848564. Though I can only recommend it for home use as this are open CANS(slang for headphones).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGluco2