Will SD card slow down your phone?

heickelrrx

May 12, 2014
Visit site
In past having huge size SD card would slow down your phone. My last SD card phone is Nokia N70. Since that I use N81 8GB and Lumia 800 without SD card.

Now I'm using 930 but since I'm going to buy 535 for my brother I concern about this.

I have both 128 and 64 GB SD card. In past it definitely slow down the phone. Did it still happening? Or should be get 32gb instead?

Dusan Randj

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
That days are gone, and this is WP not the lagdroid :D It can slow you phone potentialy if you fill it completely, it may slow in music player if you have tons of music or things like that.
But generally speaking, just having big size SD card won't slow your phone.
Don't fill it up, like my grandpa would say: "If church is too big, doesn't mean you have to pray in every corner of it."

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
An SD card will not slow down the phone.

If its used for apps, it potentially can, especially if it starts having issues, but I wouldn't be concerned with it.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
For me, critical apps on the phone, apps used less often on the SD Card. SD card mainly for storing documents, pictures, videos, music, etc., and less used or less critical apps.

If you want to make sure you don't take a performance hit, get a high speed SD card. If you get a class 4, it's WILL slow it down. Get a minimum of Class 10, or UHS-I. The class is the speed. Class 4 will read/write at a minimum of 4MB/s. Class 6 at 6MB/s, Class 10 at 10MB/s, UHS-I is higher than 10MB/s, and you will need to check the specs for the particular brand and model you are looking at, usually on the packaging, to see what the speed rating is. My card test at 122MB/s Read and 89MB/s Write, and was listed as UHS-I. Most UHS-I will be in the 15-40MB/s range... at least the common ones sold in brick and mortar stores.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077