Love it? Hate it? This Is The Moment...

dov1978

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
NOT really ranting at YOU @dov1978 as you are a good member here and I like you. But you summarized the self defeating attitude so well I had to quote it.

Hey rant away, we all have the right to and have good reason to here lol.

Sorry if I upset you as I know you're championing this phone and what Wharton Brooks are trying to achieve. Like I said before and elsewhere I genuinely wish them well but I personally don't see it happening and like you I get peeved but mostly at Microsoft for leaving us fans and small companies to try and save the platform. That's my grievance. We're left scrambling around trying to get funding together to get a phone released on their platform whilst they throw their weight behind another phone on another platform to sell their services. It certainly won't make me happy seeing Windows completely die on mobile and it actually angers me when I go on iMore or Android Central and see discussions in the forums with people saying Windows mobile is dead or it died a while back. But is it enough for me to buy a phone just to make Microsoft leave the lights on a little longer if that's their plan? Not for me unfortunately, not whilst Microsoft are keeping quiet on it all and trying to pull the rug from beneath our feet.

Last edited:

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
We're left scrambling around trying to get funding together to get a phone released on their platform whilst they throw their weight behind another phone on another platform to sell their services.

Yeah, that is another rant, but one I can support as well.

enrage-derp.jpg

One last thing about this while I try and stabilize my blood pressure (Thanks #lisinopril & #amlodipine ).

there's not enough left

The actual amount needed to get involved is quite small really. Only 3900 who will risk $300 and if we get 3900 there is no risk as the order will get placed and we will get an actual device. It's not a concept. It's ready to rock.

#OneOfThe3900

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I'm still looking for them to clearly update the page to say the streaming stick is included, I don't see it. I think it makes a huge difference.

Also I can't seem to find a way to change my backing for more than one cerulean knight, or maybe I'm not allowed :) Don't want to pay individual shipping fees though!
@dov1978 Windows mobile won't shut down... it's just windows and they will always be looking to make windows as small as possible for the smallest of devices. Buzzword/phrase IoT... everything is about iot and having these devices everywhere to provide us more information, faster, accurately.

Look at how small windows holographic on hololens ended up being! I thought it was pretty damn good they got to that size of wearable, what two years ago?

So whatever they call it, there will be a scaled down windows for as many types of devices as they can make possible. They wanted to make it for the band but failed to do it in a reasonable amount of time. Doesn't mean they can't, means they couldn't do it well, in time.

And no, I didn't back/love this phone for the specs. I backed it because I like the idea of a low end continuum with streaming stick and hope they can become something like a OnePlus.

The included screen beam was a very important factor for me, more than usb C because my target user is my parents. They're not going to fumble with a cable, put the phone down then grab the mouse and keyboard. They'll be doing it from the TV, from the couch and probably looking to click tiles I've helped them set up in the start menu... they are managing with the keyboard on phone now, so they can handle using the phone to type or talk.

The simpler the interface, # of devices they have to deal with, the better chance of them adopting the technology more.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm still looking for them to clearly update the page to say the streaming stick is included, I don't see it. I think it makes a huge difference.

Also I can't seem to find a way to change my backing for more than one cerulean knight, or maybe I'm not allowed :) Don't want to pay individual shipping fees though!

mistagreg confirmed that the SB Mini 2 CE is included... I believe it will be. http://forums.windowscentral.com/ce...-x1-rebrand-ouch-post3645979.html#post3645979

Not sure if you can use your Knight perk more than once. The Moment for Us does include 2 complete phone/ScreenBeam sets and breaks down to $290 each... Not sure your folks need two ScreenBeams, but it would all ship as one I guess...

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
mistagreg confirmed that the SB Mini 2 CE is included... I believe it will be. http://forums.windowscentral.com/ce...-x1-rebrand-ouch-post3645979.html#post3645979

Not sure if you can use your Knight perk more than once. The Moment for Us does include 2 complete phone/ScreenBeam sets and breaks down to $290 each... Not sure your folks need two ScreenBeams, but it would all ship as one I guess...

Yea it's just a visibility issue for those just finding their way to the indiegogo site. Cause my initial impression was oh that's all it is?... then later was, hey it includes streaming stick that's better.

And one moment would be all that's necessary for my parents, I just figured I can back/support two :)

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I'm not too impressed with the specs... currently on a 950... but if I had the room in my current budget, I'd get on the list and order one... Just don't have any disposable income at the Moment.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

LuxuryTouringZone

Jan 1, 2015
Visit site
As I posted in the specs thread, the biggest gripes I have with the phone is the screen size, camera and resolution. It would have been nice to have a 6" or larger screen, OIS and at least a 1920 X 1080 screen resolution. I know its a "mid-ranger" but still.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
Alright it took me a while to read all the comments in this thread, and my hands are really cold, but I'll give it my best shot to tell all you loving people what I think of the Moment.

I own both a 950 XL and a 950 (along with an assortment of other phones) so I don't NEED the Moment. I also broke my foot recently, so my funds are limited at the moment. Also, the Moment isn't my idea of the perfect mid range phone. But, you know what? Go WhartonBooks. I really hope you make it. I want this phone to succeed because I want to see what this guy can do with more funds and more fans to play with. I want people to see that it's not all doom and gloom. I love my Windows phones, and I'm happy with my 950 XL, so I'm not planning to buy one of these phones (my girlfriend would kill me) but I strongly suggest anyone who's in the market for a new phone to consider this one. We all need a bit of good news around here. Y'all spend so much bloody time lamenting about the death of Windows 10 Mobile and I'm tired of defending my OS of choice on a website dedicated entirely to the maker of my OS of choice.

Back this phone. It's not a bad phone for $300 bucks and it certainly won't have any issues running Windows 10. Let's make this happen people.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Folks need to look past what's on the surface out there (pun not intended) even more so now then before. I read Zac's article and Microsoft looks to be dropping all but the x50 lineup and the 640/xl of the Lumias from getting the Prod Creators update. Stuff will start moving soon, watch.

techiez

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
If it were an android phone people might be stumbling over each other to get it. I don't understand what exactly people are looking for in a phone from a startup company. Not to be mean but what exactly are you expecting for a sub 300 dollar phone?

I think its not the company but MS, with the uncertainty over when MS can pull the plug over W10M, ppl may be staying away from new devices.
That said Cerulean deserve a chance.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
I have not heard any words from Microsoft hinting that they will pull the plug on W10 yet. Which includes W10M. However Microsoft's trending secrecy or silence is hard to deal with sometimes.

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I think its not the company but MS, with the uncertainty over when MS can pull the plug over W10M, ppl may be staying away from new devices.
That said Cerulean deserve a chance.

Microsoft is only trying hard to get windows on all sorts of devices of all shapes and sizes. A phone is simply one of the form factors.

One day maybe windows will be in home alarm/monitoring systems, maybe it'll use Microsoft Flow to control who to call when depending on the scenario.

They wanted it on the Band3, that failed probably because they couldn't do it in time, that is, getting windows 10 footprint down enough for a device that size.

Windows everywhere... IoT is the next huge wave of connected devices of various functions. They are not going to pull the plug on one specific device form factor lol. My opinion!

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Microsoft is only trying hard to get windows on all sorts of devices of all shapes and sizes. A phone is simply one of the form factors.

One day maybe windows will be in home alarm/monitoring systems, maybe it'll use Microsoft Flow to control who to call when depending on the scenario.

They wanted it on the Band3, that failed probably because they couldn't do it in time, that is, getting windows 10 footprint down enough for a device that size.

Windows everywhere... IoT is the next huge wave of connected devices of various functions. They are not going to pull the plug on one specific device form factor lol. My opinion!

A friend a while back best summed up things that are ever changing in a some what fast pace, with everything else caught in the middle of it..he called it something like 'an ever-churning work in progress'. You could probably add the phrase never ending some where in there...

Last edited:

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
IFTTT at it's finest. I was testing Microsoft's version since back in last year but I kinda forgot about it. Thanks for re-sharing that. And it is for mobile, bonus.

ladydias

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
The phone looks amazing but I'm waiting a bit to get my next phone. I desperately want to support the Moment but I have to see how the camera measures up and even then it will be hard because I can currently get a 950XL for slightly more. I'm keeping an eye on this phone to see where it goes. But more than specific phones, I'm waiting to see where MS plans to take Windows Mobile before buying my next device. Not sure if they are going to do full Windows on ARM for the next phone and leave the other phones behind or what. I'd prefer my decision to be informed because I can only get one device.

That said, I think the Moment is a beautiful phone.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
The phone looks amazing but I'm waiting a bit to get my next phone. I desperately want to support the Moment but I have to see how the camera measures up and even then it will be hard because I can currently get a 950XL for slightly more. I'm keeping an eye on this phone to see where it goes. But more than specific phones, I'm waiting to see where MS plans to take Windows Mobile before buying my next device. Not sure if they are going to do full Windows on ARM for the next phone and leave the other phones behind or what. I'd prefer my decision to be informed because I can only get one device.

That said, I think the Moment is a beautiful phone.
@Jason Ward has a Pre-Prod one he's been showing off on Twitter. I think it has limited functionality though. From what @RumoredNow mentioned Greg went as far as to find the specific sensor drivers and to not leave it hanging on QC SoC options only.

Awhispersecho

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
I think the biggest thing to think about is that as of a year ago MS was saying they wanted 3rd party OEM's to make their phones. Well now they have a 3rd party OEM that has done all the work up to this point and is willing to do all the work from this point on. They only need 1 million bucks. If MS cared at all about Windows Mobile and had any intention of keeping Windows Mobile around they would have just provided the million bucks to make this happen. Instead, they have been forced to try crowdfunding. MS as a company spends more money on toilet paper on a daily basis than this and other 3rd parties spent hundreds of millions of dollars to make phones. Cerulean needs 1 million and yet...nothing.

MS isn't willing to invest 1 million dollars in a 3rd party OEM who is has done and will do all the work to bring a a new Windows Mobile device to market. And where is the Microsoft PR support? 1 tweet and that's it! That tells you all you need to know about where MS stands and what MS intends to do with Windows Mobile. There may be Windows mobile devices in the future, but Windows Mobile, the OS is dead. It's dead to MS which means it's dead to developers as we've seen. And that means this and any other device running Windows Mobile is dead as well. This is absolutely pathetic and it should infuriate every single person who visits this site and has spent any money supporting Windows Phones.

I feel sorry for Cerulean and Greg. I think they have been set up to fail and given false hope by MS just like the fans have been for the past year or so. I believe that the only reason they have even let them continue with this is because MS knows they won't make their goal. At this point, I think they are trying to get as many people as possible off of Windows Mobile. It is not their future and the last thing they want is a company releasing another phone that they has no intention of supporting within 4 months after it's released.

It's a shame all the way around and unfortunately, because of MS, this phone has no chance of ever seeing the light of day. If MS was behind Windows Mobile, the fans would buy in. Of course if MS was behind Windows Mobile, the fans wouldn't have to buy in, MS would make this happen.

I'm sorry Greg. I had some doubts about your intentions at 1st but now I really respect you and what you are trying to do. Mostly however, I respect you because you are no different than us fans on this site. You have been lied to and let down by MS just like us. I won't apologize on behalf of them because they don't deserve it but I will say that you, along with us fans, deserve to be treated much better than we have been by MS. 1 million bucks people, and MS won't do it. Think about that.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I can agree and disagree with your post above...

MS isn't willing to invest 1 million dollars in a 3rd party OEM who has done and will do all the work to bring a a new Windows Mobile device to market.

It would be nice to have the assurance from Microsoft that the funding will be put in and the device will roll out... Very Nice.

But then who is going to buy it?

Where is the assurance from our community of users, the majority of whom seem to be rejecting this on one reason or another?

This is more obfuscating and it side steps the real issue of why there are so few OEMs making phones for our platform.

Cause and effect. Buy the phones and there is clear incentive for more to be made.

I don't care what reasons get stated... Someone else should fund it, it's not the spec I want, it's over hyped, who ever heard of them, what the heck is a Wharton Brooks and that's s crummy name... It does not matter the reason, excuse, argument... It doesn't matter how long and logical the post...

All that matters is the 3 words... I won't buy. Then who would want to sell to us?

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I can agree and disagree with your post above...

It would be nice to have the assurance from Microsoft that the funding will be put in and the device will roll out... Very Nice.

But then who is going to buy it?

Where is the assurance from our community of users, the majority of whom seem to be rejecting this on one reason or another?

This is more obfuscating and it side steps the real issue of why there are so few OEMs making phones for our platform.

Cause and effect. Buy the phones and there is clear incentive for more to be made.

I don't care what reasons get stated... Someone else should fund it, it's not the spec I want, it's over hyped, who ever heard of them, what the heck is a Wharton Brooks and that's s crummy name... It does not matter the reason, excuse, argument... It doesn't matter how long and logical the post...

All that matters is the 3 words... I won't buy. Then who would want to sell to us?

Its always easier to pass blame.

Sent from mTalk on my SP4

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs