My take on the Cherry Mobile Alpha Style

azcruz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
The Alpha Style. I thought I would never like this phone but it grew fast on me. Firstly, let’s get the published specifications out of the way-

• Windows Phone 8.1 OS
• 4.0-Inch IPS Display (800 x 480 Pixels)
• 1.2GHz Quad Core Qualcomm Snapdragon 200 Processor
• Adreno 305 GPU
• 512MB of RAM
• 4GB Internal Storage
• Expandable up to 32GB via MicroSD
• 5.0 Megapixel Main Camera with LED Flash
• VGA Front Camera
• Dual SIM/Dual Standby
• 3G HSPA+, 2G EDGE ad GPRS Networks
• Wi-Fi and Wi-Fi Hotspot
• Bluetooth
• MicroUSB
• 3.5mm Audio Jack
• 1,500mAh Li-ion Battery

AlphaStyle01 by arnold_cruz, on Flickr

As a Windows phone running 8.1 version of the operating system, it is not much different from its big brother, the Alpha Luxe, in terms of operation or functionality.

AlphaStyle02 by arnold_cruz, on Flickr

So what’s likeable about this device? At first it looks pedestrian until I took notice of the subtle details such as the smoked transparent cover that gives a nice halo effect in different lighting conditions. At P2,999 retail price, it offers good build quality. No creaks when pressed firmly and it feels solid despite the over-all plastic material used. The back cover is a shell that should be replaceable if it suffers from damage. I’ve seen from Cherry Mobile’s store that there is a white variant but I prefer this black version.

While the device is smooth all around, it doesn’t seem slippery. It measures 120mm L x 67mm W x 12mm thick making it chunky compared to my HTC 8S.

In front, it has the usual capacitive buttons (with haptic feedback and lighted) in the familiar layout. The volume control is on the left side, and the power button on the right. On top, the headphone jack and USB connectors can be found.

Limited to 4GB of internal memory, it is left with 560MB free after loading my test applications including games. The microSD support of up to 32GB additional storage is a big boost to what this device is capable of.

AlphaStyle-back by arnold_cruz, on Flickr

Inside the box, there are the usual accessories- USB cable, USB charger, in-ear headphones, and manuals.

Display

Sporting a screen at 800 x 480 resolution, it gives a real-estate experience similar to my HTC 8S. The black level is inferior compared to the HTC 8S. The screen is bright but the colors are not washed out. Display brightness can be set to either Automatic or Manual with low, medium, and high settings. I like it best at low when in Manual mode.

Audio

The quality of the audio reproduction is good and unless I enjoy stressing out myself on hearing the nuances in music reproduction between devices, the Alpha Style is enjoyable. My digital audio tracks are stored in my Synology NAS and ripped in uncompressed WAV format and I use Synology’s DS Audio for streaming. My reference monitors are the Westone UM1 in-ear monitors, but I also tried the Harman Kardon SOHO, Urbanears Tanto, and JVC FX-33. For TRRS-ended headphones, an adaptor is required just like the Alpha Luxe.

Camera

Despite having a widest aperture of f/2.4 and focal length of 4.2mm, the rear fixed focus 5 megapixel camera is definitely going to struggle and may become useless indoors or in poorly lighted scenes.

AlphaStyle-rearcamera by arnold_cruz, on Flickr

Thankfully, there is an LED flash. While I’m not a fan of using flash, it may be the best option with this device when lighting is poor. Using my Sekonic light meter, I measured one point in my room where it would need ISO 3200 and f/2.8 to get proper exposure, and the photo from the camera is obviously under exposed, without flash.

The VGA front camera is nearly useless in this scene.

With lots of light, i.e., outdoors, it can capture decent photos.

The fixed focus lens also means you can forget about taking close-up shots, such as a watch wrist shot, as it is only good for infinity focus.

WP_20141031_009 by arnold_cruz, on Flickr

WP_20141031_002 by arnold_cruz, on Flickr

Performance

Like its big brother, the Alpha Style is running on quad-core Snapdragon 200 with Adreno 305 graphics chip (an unusual combination), but with half the RAM.

As a reference, here is the Basemark OS II comparison with other devices.

CMAS-banchmark.png

With only 512MB RAM in the device, I’ve loaded Subway Surfers, and Halo: SA Lite (not the full Spartan Assault, as I’m using a different account and not willing to pay again just to test) and the device performs well. General operations reveals fluid performance and I have yet to experience any lag.

Battery Life

The battery is specified to be 1,500mAh and so far has been showing a stamina of 14 hours continuous use from full charge with data always on. With light use, i.e., SMS, music, browsing via Wi-Fi, it lasted nearly three days on a single charge.

Conclusion

The Nokia Lumia 530 locally costs P1,000 more and loyal buyers may prefer it over the Cherry Mobile Alpha Style. First time Windows phone buyers though, should give this device a shot. It offers more than the 530, such as proximity sensor, rear camera LED flash, front VGA camera, and a slightly beefier battery. Compared to the Lumia 630’s current selling price, you can buy three (3) Alpha Style instead.

[EDIT]

In addition to 7 days replacement, Cherry Mobile offers 15 months extended warranty when you register your phone.

Last edited:

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Nice review!

Too bad this device isn't available in the US. I'm sure it would be a hit on prepaid plans/prepaid carriers.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
I noticed how good of a deal this is.

Whilst just going around in a mall I went to over the weekend, I noticed that they were pushing the phone rather softly, but there were still quite some buyers lined up for it.

azcruz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
I noticed how good of a deal this is.

Whilst just going around in a mall I went to over the weekend, I noticed that they were pushing the phone rather softly, but there were still quite some buyers lined up for it.
It's not even on their website. They push the Alpha series to corporate customers, and mostly at the AXN (The Voice USA) booths which they advertise heavily.

@LauraKnotek, thank you Laura.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
It's not even on their website. They push the Alpha series to corporate customers, and mostly at the AXN (The Voice USA) booths which they advertise heavily.

@LauraKnotek, thank you Laura.
They run lots of radio ads pushing this, their Alpha Morph and Office 365.

Your might want to spell check parts of your review, too, though.

Raijin99

Nov 10, 2014
Visit site
Great review dude! I was looking for a review on this unit!
BTW any comments on the Alpha Style's video recording capabilities?
Can it record HD videos?
Can it stream HD videos on account that this has an Adreno 305 GPU like the Lumia 520?

Raijin99

Nov 10, 2014
Visit site
do you know of any SMS Backup & Restoration app that is both on the WP Store & Google play? i plan to make this as my daily driver instead of my android phone and i wanna transfer my SMS to the Alpha Style (hope i could find a good unit to purchase). unless there's another method of doing such. thanks in advance!

azcruz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Forgot the phone is still on...

Sent from my Cherry Mobile Alpha Style

Attachments

• wp_ss_20141111_0001.png
    wp_ss_20141111_0001.png
    44.2 KB · Views: 5

azcruz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Great review dude! I was looking for a review on this unit!
BTW any comments on the Alpha Style's video recording capabilities?
Can it record HD videos?
Can it stream HD videos on account that this has an Adreno 305 GPU like the Lumia 520?

I'm sorry for the late reply, I will try and report back. Might use it as dash cam.

azcruz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
do you know of any SMS Backup & Restoration app that is both on the WP Store & Google play? i plan to make this as my daily driver instead of my android phone and i wanna transfer my SMS to the Alpha Style (hope i could find a good unit to purchase). unless there's another method of doing such. thanks in advance!
Will look into it.

Raijin99

Nov 10, 2014
Visit site
btw is the LED bulb on the alpha style as powerful as the LED bulbs of the myphone units? all myphone units are known for their very powerful LED bulbs that can serve as torches if you don't have one in your pocket.

azcruz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
I'm sorry I have no experience with MyPhone. I installed the flashlight 🔦 app and I can't stare at the LED for more than 5 seconds.

Sent from my HTC 8S

Raijin99

Nov 10, 2014
Visit site
dude i purchased my own Alpha Style last night, and i am loving it!
it can record only 800x480p videos.
it cannot effectively stream HD videos. i tried watching HD videos on my unit using TubeCast, and the video was late, and kept on stuttering.
but HQ videos are SMOOTHLY STREAMED. haven't tried watching HD vidoes stored on my SD card. will try it tomorrow.
locking in on my WIFI signal takes 1 second, unlike my Android phone which takes about 5-7 seconds to lock in on the same WiFi signal.

but i still need help with the SMS Restore and Backup app that i asked you last 11/10/14.
and do you experience any problem with the messaging keyboard? coz i can't type very fast using the Windows Phone keyboard. it seems that when both thumbs are on the keyboard, the keyboard has phantom presses of various keys. so i can't type as fast compared to my typing speed on my Android device, wherein I use SWIFTKEY keyboard.

Raijin99

Nov 10, 2014
Visit site
as to the LED bulb brightness, the MyPhone LED bulbs are still way much brighter compared to the Alpha Style's LED bulb. but no need to complain. it can satisfactorily serve as a torch, but it ain't as bright as a MyPhone LED bulb.

Raijin99

Nov 10, 2014
Visit site
To change Ringtones using your own MP3 files...
connect your Windows Phone to your PC.
ensure that the driver software is installed during the 1st time connection of your Alpha Style.
If the system says Qualcomm Drivers have not been installed, just ignore the notification.
copy all MP3 files you wish to set as your Ringtone to the RINGTONES folder in the PHONE STORAGE.
unplug your Alpha Style from the PC.
now you have MP3 files that can be set both as custom MESSAGE TONES & RINGTONES.
i believe this works with all Windows Phones right?
I haven't tried saving the MP3 files in a RINGTONES folder created in my microSD card and checking if Windows Phone will detect the said MP3 files as ringtones.

azcruz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
dude i purchased my own Alpha Style last night, and i am loving it!
it can record only 800x480p videos.
it cannot effectively stream HD videos. i tried watching HD videos on my unit using TubeCast, and the video was late, and kept on stuttering.
but HQ videos are SMOOTHLY STREAMED. haven't tried watching HD vidoes stored on my SD card. will try it tomorrow.
locking in on my WIFI signal takes 1 second, unlike my Android phone which takes about 5-7 seconds to lock in on the same WiFi signal.

but i still need help with the SMS Restore and Backup app that i asked you last 11/10/14.
and do you experience any problem with the messaging keyboard? coz i can't type very fast using the Windows Phone keyboard. it seems that when both thumbs are on the keyboard, the keyboard has phantom presses of various keys. so i can't type as fast compared to my typing speed on my Android device, wherein I use SWIFTKEY keyboard.

Congratulations! You got the smoked black or white?

I haven't watched any video with the Style, but on the Luxe I use DS Video because I have a Synology NAS.

I found the SMS backup thing, but it's for Windows Phone 7.x. I am also interested in one, so I will keep looking.

I only use swipe, but on the instances I had to press, I didn't have any issue but I'm a slow typist.

As to the ringtones, I still use the Windows Phone app on my Surface without problems. Maybe try it first?

Raijin99

Nov 10, 2014
Visit site
smoked black. can't seem to find the white one or the red one. it's always black. and there aren't any flip cover cases for the alpha style. even had to settle for a different screen protector since i can't find any.

do you have any word on a windows 8.1 update 1 update for the alpha style?
and lo and behold, all lumias will have a windows 10 update!
i wonder if cherry mobile will do the same for it's alpha series phones.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers