01-24-2007 10:11 AM
119 12345
tools
    Here's a prretty cool onscreen keyboard:
    http://www.pdamedia.biz/index.php3?p...inc=kbd20.html
    SPB also makes a keyboard as well.
    11-22-2006 10:46 PM
    I am liking the spb keyboard better because of the portrait mode...and since I hold the phone that way.
    11-22-2006 11:00 PM
    I guess I will have to give the SPB another try, I didn't try if very long.

The one I linked above does have a portrait mode.
    11-22-2006 11:54 PM
    I've had my 8525 since Wednesday and I’m disappointed to say...it's going back. I was so pleased that Sacramento finally got 3g service and the phones to support it but sadly it wasn't enough. I’ve been a palm user since the Handspring 180 (subsequently the 600 and 650) but wanted give a WM5 device a try. It was so cumbersome to do my normal routine daily tasks (text messaging, polling several inbox at once, looking up contacts, make a call, surf, etc.). 3G was intermittent and the device seemed to hesitate whenever I tried to perform a task. Granted, I'm sure it was because it's a different approach to what I'm use to but as some users mentioned, outta the box my treo worked. The keyboard seem almost too big and my fingers were reaching more, couldn’t do most task effectively with just one hand, the text size (even after adjusting) was still too small, the web browser viewable space seemed smaller even with the bigger screen—mostly due to ineffective use of placing browser icons with so much wasted space, and the device cost more. I spent a good two days (while eating turkey) trying to setup everything on my 8525. Still haven't finished so I finally decided enough was enough. I called Cingular and arranged a trade for the 680. I’m sure it would be a great device if you were use to using WM5 and lived in a city and area were 3G connections were consistent. I’m aware of the smaller battery, lack of wi-fi and no “high speed” internet on the 680 (which is what drew me to the 8525) but even with all that, I love my Palm so I’m going back. Palm needs to improve their devices with wi-fi as well as other program/software changes, otherwise devoted users like me will stray once again. Good luck.
    11-24-2006 09:03 PM
    I feel the same way Molekoi.

I picked up the 8525 the first day it came out, and have been playing with it since. Although it is WAY better than Symbian Nokia E61, and overall is a GREAT phone, I just have gotten too use to the simplicity and speed of my Treo 650.

I really like everything about the 8525, I was getting 900 kb for data in Vegas, and it came with great apps, not to mention Wifi, but I don't know why, I just cannot move on.

For people who are not STUCK on Palm OS, I think 8525 is a WONDERFUL phone, probably the best you can get. It's fast (not as fast as Palm OS), and it has great apps, and it is pretty user friendly (not as user friendly as Palm OS), and 900 kb is sweeeeeeeeet.

I soooooooooooooooooooooooooo hope Palm OS won't die, because it is seriously one GREAT OS.

Treo plus Palm OS = Great user experience and speed. It gets the job done, no BS.
    11-26-2006 04:37 AM
    Most importantly, 8525's email also does not display embedded links like e61's email. Even Versamail does. There's no way to click on any links???????? That's just crazy?
    11-26-2006 05:00 AM
    Which in my case is fine. I don't need to open up links on my phone. All I need to do is read and respond to important email. If links are embedded in my case, it usually means someone is trying to sell me something. So I'll get to that later on my computer.
    11-26-2006 01:30 PM
    Those who are returning the phone due to dislike of WM5, IMO you didn't give yourself enough time. I wasn't that happy with WM5 the first week either, then I realized it was actually more advanced than the Palm OS.

I do have to say though that the form factor of the 750 is better IMO. I handled the 8525 and didn't know if I could deal with constantly sliding out the keyboard. I would have to use the onscreen keyboard options.
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 11-26-2006 at 02:02 PM.
    11-26-2006 01:39 PM
    Berd,

Do yourself a favor and load the Palm Messaging Threaded SMS application from the PPCGeeks.com board.

Its fabulous.
    11-26-2006 02:58 PM
    I will most Absolutely try the 750.
    But this 8525 is sure making the wait easier. :D
    I am planning on giving the 750 a test drive as well. However I am so impressd with the 8525 that I may end up keeping it in the end. This is really an amayzing device.
    11-26-2006 08:04 PM
    Most importantly, 8525's email also does not display embedded links like e61's email. Even Versamail does. There's no way to click on any links???????? That's just crazy?
    I don 't know what you are talking about.....I have e-mails with links all the time and I simply click on them and IE opens right up.
    11-26-2006 08:07 PM
    I am planning on giving the 750 a test drive as well. However I am so impressd with the 8525 that I may end up keeping it in the end. This is really an amayzing device.
    Couldn't agree more.....
    just moved from the TyTn to the 8525....(buttons/clicks/feel is better, better reception, looks better)...AND with a radio upgrade to 1.20 via xda-vevelopers.com, this device is unparralleled.
    I do use my 750treo when needed....but this device IS where it's at.
    11-26-2006 08:56 PM
    Where is the link to the radio upgrade?
    11-26-2006 09:20 PM
    Couldn't agree more.....
    just moved from the TyTn to the 8525....(buttons/clicks/feel is better, better reception, looks better)...AND with a radio upgrade to 1.20 via xda-vevelopers.com, this device is unparralleled.
    I do use my 750treo when needed....but this device IS where it's at.

May I ask how you overcame constantly having to open the keyboard? If I can get over that, one could be mine soon also!
    11-26-2006 10:00 PM
    But before you answer Phone Diva, ;)
    What's this about the radio upgrade?
    11-26-2006 10:21 PM
    for text messaging, i use spb keyboard and the my text built in messages
    11-26-2006 10:33 PM
    But before you answer Phone Diva, ;)
    What's this about the radio upgrade?
    at xda-developers.com their are registry hack masters extrordinaire... a bit risky in that its possible to screw up your device....but this rookie had no problems.
    I changed.... upgraded the radio on the device from my old tytn@1.11 and 8525@1.16 to 1.20...(check your device info in systems......you'll see where your at)
    the result is a more sensitive frequency: better reception, faster more consistant data speeds:
    700kbps changed to 900kbps average measured speeds etc).
    Search radio only upgrades' on the wiki Hermes upgrades on that site.
    have fun

You can lose warranty priveleges if discovered btw.
    11-26-2006 11:06 PM
    May I ask how you overcame constantly having to open the keyboard? If I can get over that, one could be mine soon also!
    I DO use the treo during work text/data intensive parts of my day.........
    but even then, I'm using 2 hands most of the time to pump em out anyway......so I never know what the big deal is in that with my 8525 I can easly swivel the device while opening the keyboard in 1 second and type with the same 2 hands!....a small price to pay(!)....it increases my dexterity for chrisesake!
    11-26-2006 11:13 PM
    That's my problem, lots of text messaging. Lots of stress on the slider if you keep opening it, I would think. I looked for SPB Keyboard and all I found was a full screen version. Not for me, but if they have a third of the screen version, like the built-in virtual keyboard on my iPaq, then we're all set!
    11-26-2006 11:27 PM
    Does anyone know if the 8525 has an extended battery? So far I have not had a problem with battery life since I normally charge my phones every evening anyway.
    11-27-2006 10:27 AM
    I can't seem to find the hack that allows me to reassign the PTT button on the 8525. I searched everywhere. Does anyone know where I can find this hack?
    11-27-2006 04:27 PM
    11-27-2006 04:38 PM
    Thanks, I will probably use that button for the voice dialing. I ended up finding the 750's threaded SMS app (Beta 4) as well. Works great. I am still getting used to the 8525 form factor. It's definitely PDA first on this thing. I did install the todaysearch plugin which i used alot on the 750.
    11-27-2006 05:47 PM
    Phone Diva, for one-handed typing, I'm not sure if the 8525 comes with the T-9 popup keyboard that MDA (the unlocked tytn doesn't), but if it does it'very helpful with the predictive text feature working. If not, try Tengo. I am using the trial version and it seems to work well. it's simmilar to T-9 except it only has 6 buttons and uses predictive text. you can download a trial from handango.
    11-27-2006 07:32 PM
    Thanks! You know, I rarely type one-handed like many people here, but I do need something that will help me avoid constant stress on the slider.

But now some are saying the screen looks terrible in daylight as compared to the 750. Who else can speak to that?
    11-27-2006 10:06 PM
119 12345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD