01-24-2007 10:11 AM
119 ... 2345
tools
    Thanks! You know, I rarely type one-handed like many people here, but I do need something that will help me avoid constant stress on the slider.

But now some are saying the screen looks terrible in daylight as compared to the 750. Who else can speak to that?
    I have not found that at all. As a matter of fact, in comparison to the MDA, I find the screen brighter and clearer..so much so that I don't have the screen turned up as I much as I used to in terms of brightness. It is very clear. I think this is a great device...much, much faster processor speeds, battery life is greatly improved over the mda/wizard...overall performance is just wonderful.
    11-27-2006 10:35 PM
    TenGo looks good except the "keys" are so small you have to use a stylus (unless there are other skins) which totally defeats the point of a one handed entry.
    11-28-2006 12:07 AM
    Is it true that the locked Cingular version won't allow HTML websites? Some guy is yelling on CNET that he only got WAP sites until he unlocked the 8125 and loaded a generic ROM onto it. He also says he has both the TyTN and the 8525 and he's getting full HTML sites on only the TyTN.
    11-28-2006 12:25 AM
    Some sites default to the mobile site...I know if you type in espn.com it goes to the mobile site....but if you type espn.go.com you get the full site.
    11-28-2006 12:36 AM
    But this guy claims you won't get defaulted to the WAP site on the unlocked version. That's what I want to know. He said he loaded espn and got the WAP site on the 8525 and the full site on the TyTN.
    11-28-2006 12:40 AM
    Interesting. That could be true....but I can get around it by typing the normal web site...maybe that's the case for all of the sites he refers to.
    11-28-2006 12:41 AM
    TenGo looks good except the "keys" are so small you have to use a stylus (unless there are other skins) which totally defeats the point of a one handed entry.
    There's a TenGo Thumb.
    11-28-2006 01:15 AM
    I've tried the TenGo thumb...and maybe its because of other "hacks" i have downloaded but it locks up the 8525 occasionally and I have to reset.

Its a little easier to type with than the spb keyboard but it a little harder to do punctuation, etc.

By the way, for about 30 minutes this morning my 8525 was registering UMTS data speeds!
    11-28-2006 12:48 PM
    He said he loaded espn and got the WAP site on the 8525 and the full site on the TyTN.
    It will default to a wap site, but I have no problems viewing HTML on my Cingular 8525. He is mistaken.
    11-28-2006 01:03 PM
    do I have a defective 852j or is this a configuration setting?

I will be typing and all of a sudden the screen backlight turns off. its not from inactivity because I'm typing...and the screen goes to its dim mode
    11-29-2006 10:34 AM
    do I have a defective 852j or is this a configuration setting?

I will be typing and all of a sudden the screen backlight turns off. its not from inactivity because I'm typing...and the screen goes to its dim mode
    Mine does that as well. I have not checked the settings yet. I also hate when the keypad lighting goes off. Another thing I find weird is why they did not light up the other keys around the D-PAD (Start, OK, Soft keys).
    11-29-2006 10:58 AM
    For those who currently have the 8525 and miss the dialer today screen plugin found on the Treo 700 series, you can now install it.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...t=Photo+Dialer
    11-29-2006 01:00 PM
    One last question. I posted it in another thread, but since this one is the official review thread...

Is the screen really badly washed out in sunlight?
    11-29-2006 02:20 PM
    I don't see it being much different then any other smartphone screen. Atleast the ones I have owned. The Pearl (as well as other BB's) do a great job in the sun/outdoors. I really think the auto-sensor feature is pretty cool.
    11-29-2006 02:50 PM
    Side Point:
    I have hard reseted, reinstalled apps in different sequinces, and I'm pretty sure mring has some issues w/ the 8525.

I know, mRing WM is for the treo, but I wanted to see if it would work.

The issue I have is trying to run voice and data (UMTS) and the same time w/ BT headset.
    Sometimes when I enable BT on the 8525 it kicks off my data.
    Other times it only kicks me off data when I try to make a call thru BT headset.
    Like I said; I've installed - Hard reset - and then re-installed.
    And it starts having the issue right after I install mring.

So even if others don't or won't have issues with certain SW, it still is a good practice to do a Backup before all new SW installs.
    12-01-2006 06:02 PM
    I just realized I asked the same question twice. Sorry folks. I guess that daylight screen thing was important to me, LOL!
    12-01-2006 06:06 PM
    Just my experience, but I alwasy found mRing really unstable even on a Treo 650 - could never keep it installed for long ...

Side Point:
    I have hard reseted, reinstalled apps in different sequinces, and I'm pretty sure mring has some issues w/ the 8525.

I know, mRing WM is for the treo, but I wanted to see if it would work.

The issue I have is trying to run voice and data (UMTS) and the same time w/ BT headset.
    Sometimes when I enable BT on the 8525 it kicks off my data.
    Other times it only kicks me off data when I try to make a call thru BT headset.
    Like I said; I've installed - Hard reset - and then re-installed.
    And it starts having the issue right after I install mring.

So even if others don't or won't have issues with certain SW, it still is a good practice to do a Backup before all new SW installs.
    12-02-2006 10:27 AM
    For those who currently have the 8525 and miss the dialer today screen plugin found on the Treo 700 series, you can now install it.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...t=Photo+Dialer

awesome link! i am pretty new to installing things on the phone. what are the steps to this cab file? also, should we do a back up before we start?
    12-03-2006 10:28 PM
    Hi

You should really always do a backup of your device before adding a new program, if possible. .Cab files are generally used by just browsing to them in the File Explorer app, and then tapping them to launch the install, which should then be just a standard Windows Mobile install routine ...

awesome link! i am pretty new to installing things on the phone. what are the steps to this cab file? also, should we do a back up before we start?
    12-03-2006 10:34 PM
    Hi

You should really always do a backup of your device before adding a new program, if possible. .Cab files are generally used by just browsing to them in the File Explorer app, and then tapping them to launch the install, which should then be just a standard Windows Mobile install routine ...
    there is no way to download to your computer and then to your phone via a cable?
    12-03-2006 10:36 PM
    Yes - download the file to your computer, copy it to your phone when you've got it USB cabled to your PC, then go to File Explorer on your phone and tap on the .cab file to kick off the install ...

there is no way to download to your computer and then to your phone via a cable?
    12-03-2006 10:41 PM
    Yes - download the file to your computer, copy it to your phone when you've got it USB cabled to your PC, then go to File Explorer on your phone and tap on the .cab file to kick off the install ...
    pat,
    thank you. for me it is easier to download to the computer and then sync the phone. also, your web site is awesome!!!
    12-03-2006 10:43 PM
    That makes sense. And - Thank You, for the kind words ...

pat,
    thank you. for me it is easier to download to the computer and then sync the phone. also, your web site is awesome!!!
    12-03-2006 10:47 PM
    Have most people who have tried the 8525 going to keep it or return to the Treo for some reason? I got to try one at a Cingular store for 10 minutes and the web browsing was NICE with the 3G speeds, but navigating the OS was...foreign. WM is definitely something to get use to.
    12-14-2006 09:45 PM
    I'm keeping my 8525.
    12-15-2006 12:08 AM
119 ... 2345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD