Cingular 8525 Review

txschafers

Feb 27, 2005
Visit site
Most importantly, 8525's email also does not display embedded links like e61's email. Even Versamail does. There's no way to click on any links???????? That's just crazy?

I don 't know what you are talking about.....I have e-mails with links all the time and I simply click on them and IE opens right up.

rockky

Oct 21, 2003
Visit site
I am planning on giving the 750 a test drive as well. However I am so impressd with the 8525 that I may end up keeping it in the end. This is really an amayzing device.

Couldn't agree more.....
just moved from the TyTn to the 8525....(buttons/clicks/feel is better, better reception, looks better)...AND with a radio upgrade to 1.20 via xda-vevelopers.com, this device is unparralleled.
I do use my 750treo when needed....but this device IS where it's at.

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
Couldn't agree more.....
just moved from the TyTn to the 8525....(buttons/clicks/feel is better, better reception, looks better)...AND with a radio upgrade to 1.20 via xda-vevelopers.com, this device is unparralleled.
I do use my 750treo when needed....but this device IS where it's at.

May I ask how you overcame constantly having to open the keyboard? If I can get over that, one could be mine soon also!

rockky

Oct 21, 2003
Visit site
But before you answer Phone Diva, ;)
What's this about the radio upgrade?

at xda-developers.com their are registry hack masters extrordinaire... a bit risky in that its possible to screw up your device....but this rookie had no problems.
I changed.... upgraded the radio on the device from my old tytn@1.11 and 8525@1.16 to 1.20...(check your device info in systems......you'll see where your at)
the result is a more sensitive frequency: better reception, faster more consistant data speeds:
700kbps changed to 900kbps average measured speeds etc).
Search radio only upgrades' on the wiki Hermes upgrades on that site.
have fun

You can lose warranty priveleges if discovered btw.

rockky

Oct 21, 2003
Visit site
May I ask how you overcame constantly having to open the keyboard? If I can get over that, one could be mine soon also!

I DO use the treo during work text/data intensive parts of my day.........
but even then, I'm using 2 hands most of the time to pump em out anyway......so I never know what the big deal is in that with my 8525 I can easly swivel the device while opening the keyboard in 1 second and type with the same 2 hands!....a small price to pay(!)....it increases my dexterity for chrisesake!

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
That's my problem, lots of text messaging. Lots of stress on the slider if you keep opening it, I would think. I looked for SPB Keyboard and all I found was a full screen version. Not for me, but if they have a third of the screen version, like the built-in virtual keyboard on my iPaq, then we're all set!

txschafers

Feb 27, 2005
Visit site
Does anyone know if the 8525 has an extended battery? So far I have not had a problem with battery life since I normally charge my phones every evening anyway.

brmcguire

Dec 16, 2004
Visit site
I can't seem to find the hack that allows me to reassign the PTT button on the 8525. I searched everywhere. Does anyone know where I can find this hack?

waynew73#WP

Oct 14, 2004
Visit site
Phone Diva, for one-handed typing, I'm not sure if the 8525 comes with the T-9 popup keyboard that MDA (the unlocked tytn doesn't), but if it does it'very helpful with the predictive text feature working. If not, try Tengo. I am using the trial version and it seems to work well. it's simmilar to T-9 except it only has 6 buttons and uses predictive text. you can download a trial from handango.

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
Thanks! You know, I rarely type one-handed like many people here, but I do need something that will help me avoid constant stress on the slider.

But now some are saying the screen looks terrible in daylight as compared to the 750. Who else can speak to that?

waynew73#WP

Oct 14, 2004
Visit site
Thanks! You know, I rarely type one-handed like many people here, but I do need something that will help me avoid constant stress on the slider.

But now some are saying the screen looks terrible in daylight as compared to the 750. Who else can speak to that?

I have not found that at all. As a matter of fact, in comparison to the MDA, I find the screen brighter and clearer..so much so that I don't have the screen turned up as I much as I used to in terms of brightness. It is very clear. I think this is a great device...much, much faster processor speeds, battery life is greatly improved over the mda/wizard...overall performance is just wonderful.

trjons

Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
TenGo looks good except the "keys" are so small you have to use a stylus (unless there are other skins) which totally defeats the point of a one handed entry.

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
Is it true that the locked Cingular version won't allow HTML websites? Some guy is yelling on CNET that he only got WAP sites until he unlocked the 8125 and loaded a generic ROM onto it. He also says he has both the TyTN and the 8525 and he's getting full HTML sites on only the TyTN.

trjons

Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
Some sites default to the mobile site...I know if you type in espn.com it goes to the mobile site....but if you type espn.go.com you get the full site.

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
But this guy claims you won't get defaulted to the WAP site on the unlocked version. That's what I want to know. He said he loaded espn and got the WAP site on the 8525 and the full site on the TyTN.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99