Cingular 8525 Review

trjons

Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
Interesting. That could be true....but I can get around it by typing the normal web site...maybe that's the case for all of the sites he refers to.

trjons

Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
I've tried the TenGo thumb...and maybe its because of other "hacks" i have downloaded but it locks up the 8525 occasionally and I have to reset.

Its a little easier to type with than the spb keyboard but it a little harder to do punctuation, etc.

By the way, for about 30 minutes this morning my 8525 was registering UMTS data speeds!

trjons

Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
do I have a defective 852j or is this a configuration setting?

I will be typing and all of a sudden the screen backlight turns off. its not from inactivity because I'm typing...and the screen goes to its dim mode

brmcguire

Dec 16, 2004
Visit site
do I have a defective 852j or is this a configuration setting?

I will be typing and all of a sudden the screen backlight turns off. its not from inactivity because I'm typing...and the screen goes to its dim mode

Mine does that as well. I have not checked the settings yet. I also hate when the keypad lighting goes off. Another thing I find weird is why they did not light up the other keys around the D-PAD (Start, OK, Soft keys).

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
One last question. I posted it in another thread, but since this one is the official review thread...

Is the screen really badly washed out in sunlight?

brmcguire

Dec 16, 2004
Visit site
I don't see it being much different then any other smartphone screen. Atleast the ones I have owned. The Pearl (as well as other BB's) do a great job in the sun/outdoors. I really think the auto-sensor feature is pretty cool.

berdinkerdickle

Retired *********
Dec 3, 2005
Visit site
Side Point:
I have hard reseted, reinstalled apps in different sequinces, and I'm pretty sure mring has some issues w/ the 8525.

I know, mRing WM is for the treo, but I wanted to see if it would work.

The issue I have is trying to run voice and data (UMTS) and the same time w/ BT headset.
Sometimes when I enable BT on the 8525 it kicks off my data.
Other times it only kicks me off data when I try to make a call thru BT headset.
Like I said; I've installed - Hard reset - and then re-installed.
And it starts having the issue right after I install mring.

So even if others don't or won't have issues with certain SW, it still is a good practice to do a Backup before all new SW installs.

patrickj

Jul 20, 2006
Visit site
Just my experience, but I alwasy found mRing really unstable even on a Treo 650 - could never keep it installed for long ...

Side Point:
I have hard reseted, reinstalled apps in different sequinces, and I'm pretty sure mring has some issues w/ the 8525.

I know, mRing WM is for the treo, but I wanted to see if it would work.

The issue I have is trying to run voice and data (UMTS) and the same time w/ BT headset.
Sometimes when I enable BT on the 8525 it kicks off my data.
Other times it only kicks me off data when I try to make a call thru BT headset.
Like I said; I've installed - Hard reset - and then re-installed.
And it starts having the issue right after I install mring.

So even if others don't or won't have issues with certain SW, it still is a good practice to do a Backup before all new SW installs.

patrickj

Jul 20, 2006
Visit site
Hi

You should really always do a backup of your device before adding a new program, if possible. .Cab files are generally used by just browsing to them in the File Explorer app, and then tapping them to launch the install, which should then be just a standard Windows Mobile install routine ...

awesome link! i am pretty new to installing things on the phone. what are the steps to this cab file? also, should we do a back up before we start?

Thunder God

Aug 29, 2004
Visit site
Hi

You should really always do a backup of your device before adding a new program, if possible. .Cab files are generally used by just browsing to them in the File Explorer app, and then tapping them to launch the install, which should then be just a standard Windows Mobile install routine ...

there is no way to download to your computer and then to your phone via a cable?

patrickj

Jul 20, 2006
Visit site
Yes - download the file to your computer, copy it to your phone when you've got it USB cabled to your PC, then go to File Explorer on your phone and tap on the .cab file to kick off the install ...

there is no way to download to your computer and then to your phone via a cable?

Thunder God

Aug 29, 2004
Visit site
Yes - download the file to your computer, copy it to your phone when you've got it USB cabled to your PC, then go to File Explorer on your phone and tap on the .cab file to kick off the install ...

pat,
thank you. for me it is easier to download to the computer and then sync the phone. also, your web site is awesome!!!

MacUser

Aug 23, 2004
Visit site
Have most people who have tried the 8525 going to keep it or return to the Treo for some reason? I got to try one at a Cingular store for 10 minutes and the web browsing was NICE with the 3G speeds, but navigating the OS was...foreign. WM is definitely something to get use to.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte