Cingular 8525 Review

sfla_tc

Aug 11, 2005
Visit site
So, no 750? Any particular reasons? I don't suppose you've tried pairing the 8525 with the bluetooth in any cars yet?

Pairs perfect and works a treat in 05 X5, full phone book transfer and super crisp BT connection, sounds and works great. Its also a hell of a lot faster in the connection department than my 8700 andf lets not even discuss the 650 lol.

Cheers!

berdinkerdickle

Retired *********
Dec 3, 2005
Visit site
bcaslis;1151078 said:
So, no 750? Any particular reasons? I don't suppose you've tried pairing the 8525 with the bluetooth in any cars yet?

I may also get the 750.
It's just that I'm really happy with the 8525.
Top 2 Reasons
Large Display & Excellent Reception.
I also like how everything just works.
I could go into detail, but to just mention a couple - Bt Pairing & Usb tethering.
Everyone has different needs and for me it was Great Reception and the 8525 gives me this.
I also think I am more of a PDA with a phone kinda guy.
(rather than a phone with pda features)

One last thought;
I think the HTC included 'Smart Dialing' software is fantastic! :D

The only thing I honestly miss about my 650 is the static keyboard. But tengo thumb is helping.

Personal Thought;
Palm needs to quit short-changing us, just cause they have the best form-factor.

waynew73#WP

Oct 14, 2004
Visit site
I may also get the 750.

The only thing I honestly miss about my 650 is the static keyboard. But tengo thumb is helping.

Be mindful of Tengo. I used it for awhile and it ended up causing some problems with my Tytn. Some other people posted that they too had problems with it. It doesn't start out being a problem, but eventually, you start seeing your device having issues. Instead, I installed the "phonepad" skin for the virtual keyboard, which gave me back the t-9 capability from my mda/8125.

alfred44

Jul 23, 2005
Visit site
Hi berdinkerdickle, I always find your comments interesting and I am thinking seriously of getting the 8525 soon maybe around January. What else do I need to know about the 8525 cause I believe its a great phone/pda?
Again, where can I purchase it at a reasonable price? I've read a lot of good and interesting articles about 8525 and more especially the phone factor.
Thanks Fred

Thunder God

Aug 29, 2004
Visit site
I may also get the 750.
It's just that I'm really happy with the 8525.
Top 2 Reasons
Large Display & Excellent Reception.
I also like how everything just works.
I could go into detail, but to just mention a couple - Bt Pairing & Usb tethering.
Everyone has different needs and for me it was Great Reception and the 8525 gives me this.
I also think I am more of a PDA with a phone kinda guy.
(rather than a phone with pda features)

One last thought;
I think the HTC included 'Smart Dialing' software is fantastic! :D

Personal Thought;
Palm needs to quit short-changing us, just cause they have the best form-factor.

wow...i cant agree with you more. i have always loved palm devices, but they are now relying on the design that won all of us over! the 8525 just plainly rocks. do i miss my keyboard, h*ll yes, but can i give up my keyboard to have about three more features that palm may offer us in the treo 1000, c-ya palm. i wish there was a feature to turn the phone on instead of that side button. is there anyway to use the green call button to turn on the phone also?

Thunder God

Aug 29, 2004
Visit site
Hi berdinkerdickle, I always find your comments interesting and I am thinking seriously of getting the 8525 soon maybe around January. What else do I need to know about the 8525 cause I believe its a great phone/pda?
Again, where can I purchase it at a reasonable price? I've read a lot of good and interesting articles about 8525 and more especially the phone factor.
Thanks Fred

Fred,

can you get a business discount or upgrade your cingular contract?

txschafers

Feb 27, 2005
Visit site
I loved my 8525 until about a week ago when it started slowing down and required me to reset it three times a day due to freezes. I am not a power user and only havhe about three programs loaded. Instead of doing a warranty exchange I got an extension on my 30 days so our corporate person can put in a return and re-order me a new one. I am hoping the 750 launches before then so I can just order one of those instead of another 8525. I have been very impressd with the device but the slow downs and persistent freezing up requiring a soft reset has become a pain.

Maybe I just got a bad one...

bcaslis

Jun 18, 2002
caslis.com
Really? Hummm.

Pairs perfect and works a treat in 05 X5, full phone book transfer and super crisp BT connection, sounds and works great. Its also a hell of a lot faster in the connection department than my 8700 andf lets not even discuss the 650 lol.

Cheers!

brmcguire

Dec 16, 2004
Visit site
wow...i cant agree with you more. i have always loved palm devices, but they are now relying on the design that won all of us over! the 8525 just plainly rocks. do i miss my keyboard, h*ll yes, but can i give up my keyboard to have about three more features that palm may offer us in the treo 1000, c-ya palm. i wish there was a feature to turn the phone on instead of that side button. is there anyway to use the green call button to turn on the phone also?

I would rather have this as well. It's just awkward to use the side button after using the front buttons on the treo for years. * Make sure you load up all those nice 750v apps (Photo Dialer, Google Search, Palm Messaging). Makes a huge difference in usability.

brmcguire

Dec 16, 2004
Visit site
I loved my 8525 until about a week ago when it started slowing down and required me to reset it three times a day due to freezes. I am not a power user and only havhe about three programs loaded. Instead of doing a warranty exchange I got an extension on my 30 days so our corporate person can put in a return and re-order me a new one. I am hoping the 750 launches before then so I can just order one of those instead of another 8525. I have been very impressd with the device but the slow downs and persistent freezing up requiring a soft reset has become a pain.

I have not noticed any slow downs yet. I have mostly the Palm apps running on it as well as a few minor apps. I stay away from Today screen apps like Weather, Calendar extensions, etc.

berdinkerdickle

Retired *********
Dec 3, 2005
Visit site
Thanks Fred

If your w/ cing, then buy it from them so you can take advantage of the 30 day return policy.
As regards to learning all you can about the 8525, I find good info at xda, hofo's, and ppcgeeks.

I had slow-downs with Spb Pocket Plus.
Now things are fine.

alfred44

Jul 23, 2005
Visit site
Hi Thunder God, no I can't cause I am currently on contract until July next year but I am dying to get 8525 without a contract soon. I've read good articles about them and how good they are. Thanks

Thunder God

Aug 29, 2004
Visit site
I would rather have this as well. It's just awkward to use the side button after using the front buttons on the treo for years. * Make sure you load up all those nice 750v apps (Photo Dialer, Google Search, Palm Messaging). Makes a huge difference in usability.

i tried loading the photo dialer but i can not get it to work. any insight would be great the file is sitting in the phone but it does nothing:confused:

Thunder God

Aug 29, 2004
Visit site
If your w/ cing, then buy it from them so you can take advantage of the 30 day return policy.
As regards to learning all you can about the 8525, I find good info at xda, hofo's, and ppcgeeks.

I had slow-downs with Spb Pocket Plus.
Now things are fine.

i use xda and hofo. i had never seen ppcgeeks before, awesome site, thanks!

seidioseidio

Jul 11, 2004
Visit site
The Seidio's 3200 mah super extended battery for cingular 8525 is now available. This battery is same size as most extended batteries for Cingular 8525 in the market. However, it is the most powerful one with 3200 mah. Pack more power with the same size.

http://www.seidioonline.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=609

Seidio also offer the slim extended battery (1500 mah) which is the same size stock battery for Cingular 8525, but with more power

http://www.seidioonline.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=333

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
Considering the price without contract, the 8525 is actually a better deal than the 750 through Cingular. Not on the unlocked side(they're both $700), but still...

How is the 8525 $100 less? When it has bigger screen and wifi? Interesting.

BrotherNov

Nov 11, 2004
Visit site
I'm a long-time Treo guy who's simply in love with his 8525. WiFi is amazing. Anyway, I have one problem/question: I've loaded several MP3 ringtones, all of which are available to choose from when assigning ringtones to contacts or when changing the default ringtone for an incoming call under settings-sounds and notifications. However, these new ringtones don't show up as a selectable option under any other event type, i.e. - an incoming text message. I never had this problem with my Treo 700wx. Does anyone know why they don't show up? Thanks!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa