wi-fi on the 8525?

driven01#IM

Oct 1, 2004
Visit site
Has anyone gotten the wi-fi with WEP to work on the 8525? Mine keeps asking me for my WEP key. I type it in, it gyrates for a while and then prompts me again for my WEP key. It never does sync with the router.

I never had this problem on the 8125 or even the HP 6915. Seems odd to only be happening on this device.

Any thoughts?

berdinkerdickle

Retired *********
Dec 3, 2005
Visit site
I only had to enter my WEP key on my 8525 once. Since then, I can access all my computers on my network - everytime.

Using Resco Explorer & Linksys Router.

driven01#IM

Oct 1, 2004
Visit site
Have not tried a new WEP key yet because I'll have to reprogram a bunch of other devices, including a Tivo. (sigh)

I'll give it a shot in the hopes that I can get it to work.

Thanks ...

driven01#IM

Oct 1, 2004
Visit site
Ok .. I gave this a few more tries.

If I disable the WEP key entirely (which I won't do) then it connects just fine. But if I have *any* WEP key enabled then the 8525 won't connect. Weird.

I'm using a D-Link Airplus G router.

I guess I'm going to have to live with Wi-Fi. (Which would be easier if my house wasn't in an HSDPA dead-area)

Dieter Bohn

Ex Editor in Chief
Feb 1, 2001
smartphoneexperts.com
That is wacky. Perhaps it's something to do with the type of WEP key (i.e. 128 / whatever?). IIRC, WM isn't as verbose as it could be when it comes to configuring a WiFi Connection.

To be honest, I'd probably just switch to WPA authentication, as much of a pain as that is.

driven01#IM

Oct 1, 2004
Visit site
I'll give it a try and see. Whatever works ...

The wierd part is that the wi-fi on the 8125 and on the HP 6915 worked fine. Both of those are also WM5 devices. I'm wondering what changed on the 8525.

I did find some references to this on the Cingular support forums. Apparently quite a few other people are having problems with Wi-Fi on this device as well. Sadly, nobody has come up with a good fix other than to make the network wide-open.

I'll try WPA and post my results.

driven01#IM

Oct 1, 2004
Visit site
I switched to WPA-PSK. No luck.

My only other option is to make my network wide open and limit the connections to known MAC addresses, but with the number of devices that come and go on my network that's not a trivial amount of work (maintaining that list.) At this point I have my doubts as to if that's even going to work.

Dieter Bohn

Ex Editor in Chief
Feb 1, 2001
smartphoneexperts.com
yikes. so WiFi may be busted on the 8525, eh? No fun there. I'll have to see if I can get myself a review unit right quick.

meanwhile, I guess the next (super annoying) troubleshooting step is the standard one you get from the phone reps: back up everything, hard reset, see if it works on a totally fresh device.

driven01#IM

Oct 1, 2004
Visit site
yikes. so WiFi may be busted on the 8525, eh? No fun there. I'll have to see if I can get myself a review unit right quick.

meanwhile, I guess the next (super annoying) troubleshooting step is the standard one you get from the phone reps: back up everything, hard reset, see if it works on a totally fresh device.

Heh heh ... first thing I tried. Honestly I hard reset nearly every other week. (I use these devices for a wide variety of things .. long story.)

I still have to try a different brand of router and see if that's the issue.

FWIW: This is the ONLY WM5 device I've tried thus far that the wi-fi gets past our radius server at work. All of the other devices I've tried failed. (While the WM 2003 devices worked.)

Now I see why Palm left wi-fi off the Treo line ... even when it's included it's quirky.

teambnet

Jan 24, 2005
Visit site
Some things to check

Maybe you've done this but I didn't see it mentioned:

Do you have the MAC filter enabled on the access point? (if yes then either disable or enter the device's MAC into the table). Do you have more than one WEP key, if so does the key index number match up? Also make sure you have 'Connects To' set to 'The Internet' and not Work in the wireless configuration screen- this is a common problem.

With WPA I had problems on my TyTN on a 2Wire that was running in dual WPA/WPA-2 mode. A switch to just WPA solved the problem.

driven01#IM

Oct 1, 2004
Visit site
Yes: Enabled and disabled the Mac filter (yes: I put the mac address in the filter).

The ONLY way I was able to get this to work was with ALL encryption turned off. Even WPA didn't work.

I'm going to swap out my router this month and see if a different brand will help.

driven01#IM

Oct 1, 2004
Visit site
That's the one I was eyeing up. (Airport extreme). As soon as my local Apple store gets one in stock I'll be picking one up. I actually found one in a store out in the Bay Area this week but my suitcase was so stuffed (I fly carry-on only) that I didn't want to chance it. So ... hopefully we'll get some stock in ATL soon.

ahn1ad

Mar 12, 2008
Visit site
Have you fixed the problem? cause i just ordered the 8525 and its coming this Friday... but I've read the wifi problem repeatedly... :(

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos